Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs to buy/start a RPG studio

Yeah Im surprised that WKC is the only JRPG franchise that Sony owns this gen...an LOD remake would be epic

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
ElGranCabeza said:
If Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo is smart, they would be looking at Take 2 who is rumored to be gathering some interest lately. I think they would go for about 2.5 bil, and for that price you'd get the following IPs exclusively:

- Grand Theft Auto
- Red Dead Redemption
- LA Noire
- Max Payne
- Civilization
- Bioshock
- Mafia
- Borderlands
- The Darkness
- Carnival Games
- XCom
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Pirates
- NBA 2K
- NFL 2K

Honestly I'm surprised only EA has tried to buy them out.

And probably more that I'm missing. Honestly I'm surprised only EA tried to buy them out.

I don't think any of the big 3 would want to spend 2.5 billion dollars on acquiring a developer. The price is just too steep.

The 3 FF's we got when Sony was publishing Squaresoft games were golden. I still hope Sony will one day own SE so the gimped SE games for multi-platform bullshit stops.

IamAwsome said:
ElGranCabeza said:
If Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo is smart, they would be looking at Take 2 who is rumored to be gathering some interest lately. I think they would go for about 2.5 bil, and for that price you'd get the following IPs exclusively:

- Grand Theft Auto
- Red Dead Redemption
- LA Noire
- Max Payne
- Civilization
- Bioshock
- Mafia
- Borderlands
- The Darkness
- Carnival Games
- XCom
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Pirates
- NBA 2K
- NFL 2K

Honestly I'm surprised only EA has tried to buy them out.

And probably more that I'm missing. Honestly I'm surprised only EA tried to buy them out.

I don't think any of the big 3 would want to spend 2.5 billion dollars on acquiring a developer. The price is just too steep.

Actually that's a bargain.

Im sick of the open world WRPGs and like a story-driven game which I find in most good JRPGs. The Dragon Quest series is great for Japan since based on the sales, they do not mind if the franchise doesnt take any large steps away from tradition. But gamers always want RPGs to be different from the last one but not stray too far from the formula.

Around the Network
Ssenkahdavic said:
In order of who?

Atlus
NIS
XSEED
Tri-Ace
FromSoftware

Really tho, perfect fit would be NIS. They already make great games for Sony, they are FANTASTIC at localizing their games and they are pretty quick in bringing games out. Just think what they could do with some more money and backing?

Xseed is more of a publisher instead of a developer though.

kurasakiichimaru said:
Ssenkahdavic said:
In order of who?

Atlus
NIS
Media Vision Entertainment
Tri-Ace
FromSoftware

Really tho, perfect fit would be NIS. They already make great games for Sony, they are FANTASTIC at localizing their games and they are pretty quick in bringing games out. Just think what they could do with some more money and backing?

Xseed is more of a publisher instead of a developer though.

I already editted that in an earlier post.  Should have been Media.Vision Entertainment (developers of Wild Arms, for whom Xseed now Publishes)

Yeah that's pretty much the only thing I'm missing for my ps3. Maybe I will pick up Fallout 3, it is only like 10 dollars now...

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

That would be fantastic. It means you would see plenty of RPG's for the Playstation systems. Im in need of RPG's i was playing them all the time last Gen but now its just here and there and half of them are rubbish.

I would love to see sony buy or refocus one of their owned studios (maybe SCE japan) to making jrpgs. Also, part of the reason for the low rpg numbers is the fact that a lot of them are released on the psp instead of the ps3 e.g. valkyria chronicles 2 &3.