By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP reaches 3 million ! What a FLOP !

Good sales. Didn't do as sony expected but still 3 million is a big accomplishmet. Not my game though

Around the Network

Not a flop medium size hit, not huge

Slimebeast said:
Naum said:
Not to be rude but how much of the sales comes from the really really cheap prices it has? I mean I can buy this game here in Sweden new for less then 1/3 of the full price it had when it was released.

Ditto. And it went down to less than half price right after Christmas 2008. In UK too I heard our English friends say here on VGC.

Plus it's been bundled.

True. LBP is one of the cheapest games you can find. In 2009, Amazon.co.uk had it for £9.99 - £12.99 for many months.

coolbeans said:
Mummelmann said:
Naum said:
Not to be rude but how much of the sales comes from the really really cheap prices it has? I mean I can buy this game here in Sweden new for less then 1/3 of the full price it had when it was released.

Its called platinum titles and this has been a practice since the early days of the PS2 with Sony's titles. And its a good thing, I still shudder at the thought of paying 850 NOK for Ocarina of Time well over a decade ago a couple of years after the game launched.

Does this also mean we should disregard console hardware sales as soon as they start dropping the prices? I mean, the PS3 has halved its price since launch and one can hardly say that the sales count any more at this point.

You sure that's not how it's always been?  Heck, I recall OoT being $30 when I was down in Florida from a normal retail outlet.

I thought my giving out the price in NOK currency was a dead giveaway, but what the heck; I'm from Europe, more specifically Norway and stuff costs a lot here. A whole lot, especially the older Nintendo stuff was abbhorrently priced with some games costing what would amount to roughly 300$ counting inflation from then till now and the current exchange value.

Its probably all dandy in Florida but I live in a country and area that isn't exactly pampered with cheap electronics. Every time I read on here that someone has built a gaming rig for 600$ I die a little inside, knowing that here you can barely get a decent GPU for that price.

Everyone predicted 20Million units by the end of 2009.

This is an EPIC flop that has no doubt lost SONY billions.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
Naum said:

Ditto. And it went down to less than half price right after Christmas 2008. In UK too I heard our English friends say here on VGC.

Plus it's been bundled.

The massive price cuts were only in Europe. Our friends across the Atlantic were paying full price for quite a while.

And it wasn't heavily bundled, or anything.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Yeah the game was incredibly cheap at launch in the UK. This was my first PS3 game I purchased almost exactly 1 year ago.

From a software perspective it surely didn't flop, but we knew that already at the end of 2008.
On the other end I still think it flopped, cause it was meant to attract a new audience to the PS3 or at least was hyped up to be so.
Hardware barely increased that week. MGS4 was in the end a much bigger factor, although the "hardcore" crowd already owned a PS3 back then.

I'm happy for it. I hope this shows that if you make an effort to make a new then you will see strong consumer support.

It has done exactly what I wanted it to do. Diversify the library of games on the PS3 and it did help to turn around the platform.

LBP is HUGE?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

badgenome said:
masterb8tr said:
i remember people saying it wouldnt reach 1 mill:P

I remember Gearbox saying it would reach 10 million.

3 million down 7 more to go! :P