By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP reaches 3 million ! What a FLOP !

Gnizmo said:
Masakari said:

A: yes I am, not my fault you didn't notice the bundles and the fact the game has been a budget 10-15 game almost since release.

B: when I only had two points, ignoring one of them leaves you with a lot to argue about lol

C: yes, it was marketed as a system seller, hence the 40 million (might be a bit more or a bit less, I remember the figures being thrown around, but not gonna bother searching for it) ad campaign the game had. Nevermind the fact that all Sony fans were proclaiming the game as the best thing since the last best thing they proclaimed, as usual.

D: Wasn't aware it was an insult, must be a new english dictionary I missed. Either that, or people around here must be especially sensitive :rolleyes: Kinda ironic, considering this is one of the most flamewar-infested forums on gaming on the net. Either way, my apologies.

@Gnizmo: thanks for the help. The game was on sale for 17.99 on amazon.co.uk and play.com a month after the release, and went lower since then. Like you said, the game sold 1 million in pre-orders / release, after that it was discounted and bundled. There's your 2/3rds.l

And it was full price in America. Sorry, using one market that is a lot smaller than the US does not come close to backing your point up. When someone posts reliable evidence the price cut in regions of Europe not the UK you might almost be able to back up your claim.

Again, define system seller.

Yeah, I certainly didn't it seeing get price-cut here (Ireland) for a few months at least, more or less the same time as all games get price cuts. As for bundles, I've seen 1 or 2 retailers offering them, but they normally offer 3-4 bundles at a time, so it isn't as if LBP came with every PS3 here (plus from what I've seen, a lot of parents buying for their kids never buy bundles even if they are the same price as the system alone *facepalm*).

Around the Network

I highly doubt it wasn't on sale for a long time in the US (even though it isn't now) considering in the states you usually have better promos than in europe. I can go to any retailer now, here in Portugal, and get the game for 20 euros, and could as well when i lived in the Netherlands in 2008-early 2009. And let's not talk about the online retailers. In japan LBP sold almost nothing, so it's a non-entity.

Also, everyone knows Sony is bigger in Europe than the US. Seems like it, as it has a bigger PS3 base, and even LBP has sold more in Europe according to VGChartz. Don't know where your coming from with that.

System seller: a game with a massive marketing push behind it, that is considered a benchmark, award winning game, tied to a single platform that pushes a lot of hardware units. Usually they are also bundled heavily. Yep, looks like LBP to me. Of course, it needs to drive hardware sales, something that it didn't, so it's a "failed system seller".

Anyway, this was my last post, I have better things to do with my time than googling for links and discussing this. The facts speak for themselves, the marketing behind it and sales speak for themselves, the analists reports at the time speak for themselves, and the fans' attitudes at the time speak for themselves.

Looks like it caught up to another 'flop'.

http://vgchartz.com/swlaunch.php?reg1=All&game1=Wii+Music+-+Wii[24657]&reg2=All&game2=LittleBigPlanet+-+PS3[12390]&reg3=All&game3=&weeks=66

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

LBP Fails! Because it didn't meet my expectations of 10 Million sales

just like Halo 3 fails, because it didn't meet my expectations of 30 Million sales

just like Modern Warfare Fails because....

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:

just like Halo 3 fails, because it didn't meet my expectations of 30 Million sales

30 million for Halo 3? Pffft, could you have been more conservative? I expected an attach rate of 200%, because everyone I personally know with a Xbox 360 (1 person) bought 2 copies of Halo 3. Therefore, it is the right choice to presume that everyone would buy that number.

Around the Network
GreyianStorm said:
Porcupine_I said:

30 million for Halo 3? Pffft, could you have been more conservative? I expected an attach rate of 200%, because everyone I personally know with a Xbox 360 (1 person) bought 2 copies of Halo 3. Therefore, it is the right choice to presume that everyone would buy that number.

you are absolutely right, and it still fails

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Porcupine_I said:
GreyianStorm said:
Porcupine_I said:

you are absolutely right, and it still fails

Yup, Halo 3 is undoubtedly one of the biggest flops of all time. Modern Warfare 2 is a bigger flop though, because...well...I didn't particularly like it. Because I didn't like it, I can declare it a flop and there is nothing you can do to refute me!

LOL "In the states you have better sales" LOL LOL LOL LOL I can in fact confirm LBP was selling at 60 dollars for months and months after launch in the states with no bundles unless it was from retail.

Little Big Planet deserves three times those sales. It is literally the never ending game. I was a detractor of this game when it was launched, and I actually feel bad for being so cynical of it. I think it rules.