By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP reaches 3 million ! What a FLOP !

CGI-Quality said:
gurglesletch said:
otoniel said:
VictorG said:
It's a flop based on expectations. This game was played up as Sony's answer to the Wii and if you look at its sales compared to the Wii games and the impact the game had (none?) it's a flop.

well said 

i agree with you

Since its the first Play Create Share how is it a flop?

I wouldn't waste my time. Some people would call games "flops" no matter how good they do.

Yeah, the only real flop is Wii Sports. That game would only have like a 5% attach rate if it wasn't bundled so heavily. Just look at Wii Sports Resort, that must only have like 200,000 sales or something!

Around the Network

LittleBigPlanet was a revolutionary game. The fact it spawned a a genre should tell everyone this is a "mascot" franchise for the revolutionary PlayStation 3.

I mean the first game is still hugely supported today (new water mechanic, level creation kits, etc.), got a port to a another platform and has another small looking for big things with the Play. Create. Share. genre.

Maynard_Tool said:

Unfortunately, the only time that I saw something like that was when the game launched, and that sony said that it didn't performed as planned b/c of the holiday rush. They said it had respectable [launch] numbers, but they wanted higher numbers. Yes, this was back at 2008.

But if they were expecting sackboy to be their mascot... and the game has sold 3 million... i think it falls short of what the representative game for something like Sony should be. I think they are great sales for a new IP and everything... not for a game that Sony wanted to be the representative game of their console.

EDIT: Here's the link of what I was talking about. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/11/sony-holiday-rush-to-blame-for-lbp-sales.ars

Since I never saw a number, I don't bother to look, it's not my job. Sorry if my words offend people. They take all of these too serious. I don't =)

In that link they're talking about launch sales, but in this thread we're talking about LTD sales. 3 million in 14months for a new IP and platformer is very impressive.

And I know that mascot status confers big sales, but at the same time it hasn't stopped selling, and Playstation has always been a very diverse platform anyway (you can represent the Xbox family with Master Chief, for example, but the Playstation platforms haven't really had a mascot since perhaps Crash or Spyro on the PS1 in the 90s). Moreover, suggesting that Sackboy could be a mascot seemed from the beginning to me to be PR talk in order to hype the title.

But meh, I appreciate that you consider these good sales. Ultimately, I'm just pleased that it's done well.

what have we learned from this thread? 3 million is the new flop for a software title? or people can't give credit when/where it's due? you decide!

wholikeswood said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Unfortunately, the only time that I saw something like that was when the game launched, and that sony said that it didn't performed as planned b/c of the holiday rush. They said it had respectable [launch] numbers, but they wanted higher numbers. Yes, this was back at 2008.

But if they were expecting sackboy to be their mascot... and the game has sold 3 million... i think it falls short of what the representative game for something like Sony should be. I think they are great sales for a new IP and everything... not for a game that Sony wanted to be the representative game of their console.

EDIT: Here's the link of what I was talking about. http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/11/sony-holiday-rush-to-blame-for-lbp-sales.ars

Since I never saw a number, I don't bother to look, it's not my job. Sorry if my words offend people. They take all of these too serious. I don't =)

In that link they're talking about launch sales, but in this thread we're talking about LTD sales. 3 million in 14months for a new IP and platformer is very impressive.

And I know that mascot status confers big sales, but at the same time it hasn't stopped selling, and Playstation has always been a very diverse platform anyway (you can represent the Xbox family with Master Chief, for example, but the Playstation platforms haven't really had a mascot since perhaps Crash or Spyro on the PS1 in the 90s). Moreover, suggesting that Sackboy could be a mascot seemed from the beginning to me to be PR talk in order to hype the title.

But meh, I appreciate that you consider these good sales. Ultimately, I'm just pleased that it's done well.

yeah, i believe they are great sales... especially since is a new IP. But like I said, for the mascot of the playstation family... it looks kind of short. I know it hasn't stop selling... but how much can it sell?

Maybe it was just PR talk in order to hype it... but it happened, that's why I believe that it didn't do as great as they were expecting it to do. But still, 3 million is a lot... and like u said, is still selling.

Around the Network

Flop? Oh, I remember this game and the many people who predicted 4M people. I feel like bucking the trend and call it a minor flop for the hell of it.

Edit: Since it isn't going to sell more than 20% of the next best 2d platformer its a FLOP FLOP FLOP FLOP FLOP.

I own a copy.

Steroid said:
Well that's more then 3 times what Lost Odyssey sold. Even if LBP had been on 360 it wouldn't have sold. Only shooters manage to sell over 4 million on that console.

Lost Odyssey was never bundled since pratically its launch in the UK (Dunno about rest of Europe)

I own it by the way >.<

Edit: Something funny, Kungfu Panda is sitting 50,000 units ahead (Xbox 360 version)

Yo LBP, I'm happy for ya and imma let you finish.
But, Lair was was one of the biggest flops of all time!!!

kiefer23 said:
Steroid said:
Well that's more then 3 times what Lost Odyssey sold. Even if LBP had been on 360 it wouldn't have sold. Only shooters manage to sell over 4 million on that console.

Lost Odyssey was never bundled since pratically its launch in the UK (Dunno about rest of Europe)

I own it by the way >.<

Edit: Something funny, Kungfu Panda is sitting 50,000 units ahead (Xbox 360 version)

HUGE bundles.