By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP reaches 3 million ! What a FLOP !

mhsillen said:
Ajescent said:
it's sights like this that make me wonder why I come here sometimes, it's impossible for folks to just be happy for a game that's done well, they have to go out of their way to kick 7 bells of hell out of it.

It reached 3million on a console that's meant to be dead in the water when there was a (supposedly) better choice for the kids (aka the wii) out there. Give it the credit it's due exactly the same way people give Halo3, wii sports and mario kart wii the credit they deserve.

Sorry now you are going to far

I...-huh?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

"New IP
In a declining genre
Technical excellence
Huge community (yes, still today)
Critical acclaim
3 m sold"

Since when platformesr have being in decline? Just see the sales of NSMB Wii, the demand is there, the problem is that companies are stupid not to do it, because they think 2D is a thing from the last century, or simply because they can't fully apreciate their baby like they want in 2D.

"lbp was a very good game, hopefully a sequel goes 3d all the way and adds more varied levels and allows u to make bigger and more varied levels to publish."

Now you are really asking it to flop, right? Being 2D is one of the motives of reaching 3 millions.

Above: still the best game of the year.

wholikeswood said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Good sales. Didn't do as sony expected but still 3 million is a big accomplishmet. Not my game though

I knew as soon as I saw your avatar that this post wouldn't be positive, and I was right.

Can you substantiate this claim? Provide a link to where Sony revealed their sales target for the game?

It's obvious that you're just trying to take the game down a notch with some vague notion of massive expectations, and hoping that no one calls you out on it.

SAy what... i just said it has great sales, not every new IP hits 1 million, let it hit 3. But sony mentioned they wanted sackboy to be their mascot, they spent massive amounts of money in advertaisment.

I'm not trying to downplay the sales of this game, b/c they are great. But still, the game didn't have the impact sony was expecting. If you think I'm talking shit about LBP sales, well... w/e helps u sleep at night buddy.

Ajescent said:
mhsillen said:
Ajescent said:
it's sights like this that make me wonder why I come here sometimes, it's impossible for folks to just be happy for a game that's done well, they have to go out of their way to kick 7 bells of hell out of it.

It reached 3million on a console that's meant to be dead in the water when there was a (supposedly) better choice for the kids (aka the wii) out there. Give it the credit it's due exactly the same way people give Halo3, wii sports and mario kart wii the credit they deserve.

I...-huh?

We all agree it's not a flop but it is not selling to the level of the games you mention.

LBP is Doooooooooooomed!

/sarcasm

Around the Network
mhsillen said:
Ajescent said:
mhsillen said:
Ajescent said:

I...-huh?

We all agree it's not a flop but it is not selling to the level of the games you mention.

Oh hell, yeah I know that. The point I was trying to make was bundled or not, it's done well for itself and should not not be snubbed its accolades just because it was bundled. Would Halo3 have reached 10mil as quickly as it did if it wasn't bundled? same as Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports in their respective milestones. My thinking is No and that shouldn't matter because being bundled doesn't take away from an achievement, an achievement is an achievement regardless of how folks try to spin it.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

KylieDog said:
Euphoria14 said:

@KylieDog

I am 100% certain they didn't need the DLC to turn a profit.

As already mentioned, this was a 25 man dev team that started in a studio above a toilet store.

You misunderstood, I meant the DLC alone would have made a profit for the game, even without what was made from game sales.

Ah, I see. My apologies.

I also agree with this. The development was most likely cheap enough for the DLC alone to make them plenty of profit.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Ajescent said:
mhsillen said:
Ajescent said:
mhsillen said:
Ajescent said:

I...-huh?

Oh hell, yeah I know that. The point I was trying to make was bundled or not, it's done well for itself and should not not be snubbed its accolades just because it was bundled. Would Halo3 have reached 10mil as quickly as it did if it wasn't bundled? same as Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports in their respective milestones. My thinking is No and that shouldn't matter because being bundled doesn't take away from an achievement, an achievement is an achievement regardless of how folks try to spin it.

A solid middling hit

Maynard_Tool said:
wholikeswood said:
Maynard_Tool said:
Good sales. Didn't do as sony expected but still 3 million is a big accomplishmet. Not my game though

I knew as soon as I saw your avatar that this post wouldn't be positive, and I was right.

Can you substantiate this claim? Provide a link to where Sony revealed their sales target for the game?

It's obvious that you're just trying to take the game down a notch with some vague notion of massive expectations, and hoping that no one calls you out on it.

SAy what... i just said it has great sales, not every new IP hits 1 million, let it hit 3. But sony mentioned they wanted sackboy to be their mascot, they spent massive amounts of money in advertaisment.

I'm not trying to downplay the sales of this game, b/c they are great. But still, the game didn't have the impact sony was expecting. If you think I'm talking shit about LBP sales, well... w/e helps u sleep at night buddy.

You've just repeated yourself; that's not helpful.

You qualify the "it has good sales" line each time with "but it hasn't met Sony's expectations".

So, I'm just asking you to tell me what Sony expected the game to sell. Telling me "they thought it could be the new PS mascot" isn't a sales figure and you can't extrapolate a sales figure from it either.

Therefore, give me a figure or stop posting that it has failed Sony's internal sales expectations.

Maynard_Tool said:
wholikeswood said:
Maynard_Tool said:

Maybe you should just humor him and show how many copies or what kind of critical response Sony anticipated. I can't remember having read any exact figures anywhere so it'd be fun to see them for myself as well.