By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP reaches 3 million ! What a FLOP !

Hopefully LittleBigUniverse will launch with PS4!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
What.......you guys didn't here the news flash? If it don't sell 5-20 million, it's a bomba!

Hey atleast GT5 won't flop!!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

since the other thread is locked, i have to do my Permaban-Schadenfreude Dance in here

*does a jig*

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

Naum said:
Not to be rude but how much of the sales comes from the really really cheap prices it has? I mean I can buy this game here in Sweden new for less then 1/3 of the full price it had when it was released.

if a game like LBP that have so much DLC and if DLC is a big part of the revenue, that game should by standard be allot cheaper to buy to give the opportunity to gamers to have money to spend in DLC... and theres also the very low budget that were spend in making this game... so yes i think it should be cheap and there is no problem with that... and this doesn't make the achievement of reaching 3 mil of sales less worthy...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

Naum said:
Not to be rude but how much of the sales comes from the really really cheap prices it has? I mean I can buy this game here in Sweden new for less then 1/3 of the full price it had when it was released.

Youre right!!!!

From now on, we should stop tracking games once they drop from full price. Then we should only track games that sell at walmart. Then we should find the least intelligent person technologically speaking, at wal mart across the country and only track sales from their store when theyre working....you know, to make sure no one was tricked into buying something with technical mumbo-jumbo, thus inflating sales, and they went there on their own accord for it.

Yes, excellent, this way the only sales will be really hardcore people who pay full price, wont be getting sold something they dont want, and its pure...so, so pure.

Around the Network
Simulacrum said:
Stupid tittle..
It only did that much thanks to heavy bundling!
Which is kinda sad...Because it had everything it would need for 2-3 million without bundles.
So I blame marketing!

Think of it this way.

Bundles may represent 300k-400k sales of the game.

There are 2 types of people who would buy a bundle imo.

1. People wanting to buy a PS3 for that game
  2. People who were going to buy a PS3 and thought to get the bundle because of it value even though they had no intention to buy the game at first.

People under category 2 might like the game, become fans and would await the release of a sequel, wouldn't they ?

Imo, bundling is a way to make a franchise BIG.

Wii Sports was bundled with every single Wii and its sequel sold gigantic numbers because some of those bundles appealed to the person who bought the Wii.

Although it may be of no "profit" to the publisher, it WILL create a solid userbase to cater to with the inevitable sequel. Bundling has a long term effect imo.

im happy for LBP flopping!!
/sarcasm
and throw in a lol with it!

Naum said:

Its called platinum titles and this has been a practice since the early days of the PS2 with Sony's titles. And its a good thing, I still shudder at the thought of paying 850 NOK for Ocarina of Time well over a decade ago a couple of years after the game launched.

Does this also mean we should disregard console hardware sales as soon as they start dropping the prices? I mean, the PS3 has halved its price since launch and one can hardly say that the sales count any more at this point.

Well I was one of the earliest people saying this game wasn't a flop when everyone saying it was and that was back when it was maybe only just breaking 1 million haha. Maybe less. Of course I thought this game would probably level off in the 2-2.5 million range but some pretty nice bundling helped push it up to the 3 million. But even disregarding that sales were quite impressive and Sony has itself a pretty good franchise for the playstation brand.

yayyy, one of my most favourite games :)