By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So how bad exactly is sony doing????

do what from the start?

Around the Network

The financial strategy, at least that is what I am guessing from theprof00's post.

They have sold more than 20 million consoles above a 399$ pricepoint that is something never have done. All the good news I can think of right now.

Carl2291 said:
Considering prices, its doing awesome.

I think everyone should wait until the PS3 reaches 360/Wii entry level prices until they say its a failure.

I love that statement and Alterego-X already addressed it.

"The whole "not bad, considering the price" argument is BS, it's like "you are not that stupid, considering that you are a retard".
It's the direct reaason of the failure, not an excuse."

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

They have been.

I know you're going to ask me about the initial pricing and the loss of marketshare, but if you re-read my post you'll understand that they had to break a few eggs, yaknow?

Sony's main goal is to involve itself in as many markets as possible, like MS does. They're taking over the home movie market, will soon be cutting in the desktop computer market, helped cut a slice of out the computer hardware market, and with lower costs+price for the ps3, they will start making a lot more money from the VG market. BR was a big risk for the PS3, and in combination with the wii, MS should have really taken advantage of the opportunity and destroyed the ps brand.
A lot of people tend to forget how well Sony is run, only focusing on their failures and forgetting that Sony really does have their hand in everything, and is one of the most recognizable brand name with some of the most desirable products.

For example, people talk about Beta and mini-disc and how they failed to win the market, while maintaining that they are bad for consumers. What they don't focus on, is their many victories, and the millions of super-satisfied customers who enjoyed both their "failed" products as well as their historic ones. People forget that, overall, MD was profitable, that Beta was profitable, that Sony-Ericcson is profitable. PS3 will eventually break even or be profitable too, and literally sealed the victory for BR.

Around the Network

They're doing bad until they make money off every ps3 they sell. But compared to these last years, yes they're doing much better.

the ps3 isnt doing as well as everyone thought it would, do the fact at how much ass it kicked last gen, but if you really think about it, if the 360 didnt have that year head start it would be neck and neck with the ps3.

saicho said:
Carl2291 said:

I think everyone should wait until the PS3 reaches 360/Wii entry level prices until they say its a failure.

I love that statement and Alterego-X already addressed it.

"The whole "not bad, considering the price" argument is BS, it's like "you are not that stupid, considering that you are a retard".
It's the direct reaason of the failure, not an excuse."

No, its nothing like that at all and its not bullshit.

Wii and 360 are way cheaper at entry level and have been since PS3 launched. Yet the PS3 has still sold 20+ million in a quicker time than the 360 did. (i think so anyway... 99% positive it has)

That, is doing awesome, no matter how you try to spin it.

Well my take on the opening topic question... it depends.

If its just Sonys take or their fans then they're doing great. Games are coming out. The system is selling, just maybe not as well as they like.

If its based on the outlook of competitors or their fans, then they use numbers in relation to sales and profit to show that Sony isn't doing that great.

And to the opening post, price is definitely an important factor, but its not the only one. Support, marketing, product, timing, attitude, competitors, etc also contributed to Sony losing marketshare.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

Carl2291 said:

... but this won't happen for a couple of years, if ever.

Being in last place for over 90% of a generation has to be considered a failure.  I'm sorry, but a professional table tennis player can't spin it to look good. 

I don't want to hear about how Gran Turismo 5 is going to save the system either.  MGS 4 didn't and neither will GT 5.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger