By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So how bad exactly is sony doing????

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
@rol
success really depends on what the purpose is right?
for nintendo it's making money, for sony it was to take over HD, and for MS it was to keep consoles out of the PC arena
they've all been successful

So since HD-DVD is dead and Blu-Ray won, the PS3 has fulfilled its purpose?

If that is how success is measured for the PS3, Sony should simply discontinue it right now, because it's a money pit.

But that victory was important for Sony. considering how many thought HD-DVD would win then it is a nice victory.

Around the Network

Financial statement coming out soon? sweet. I expect them to be in the green

I don't expect them to be in green give it a 10% chance. But that chance is getting bigger the next half year.

Lostplanet22 said:
amp316 said:
Carl2291 said:
Considering prices, its doing awesome.

I think everyone should wait until the PS3 reaches 360/Wii entry level prices until they say its a failure.

... but this won't happen for a couple of years, if ever.

Being in last place for over 90% of a generation has to be considered a failure.  I'm sorry, but a professional table tennis player can't spin it to look good.

I don't want to hear about how Gran Turismo 5 is going to save the system either.  MGS 4 didn't and neither will GT 5.

But thx MGS4 the PS3 sold more than the Xbox 360 for months shouldn't you reconsider that aswell.  And save is really a strange word.

I think that's the most any game will do for a format this gen is help it outsell the cometition for a while. I doubt we'll see a game save or have an impact on a console like Halo did with the original Xbox and to be honest I don't think one is needed. No console this gen needs saving as all are performing exceptionally well.

To finish 3rd this time round wont be as damaging to the manufacturer as it was in previous gens so providing Sony can make a profit they'll be ok.

RolStoppable said:
theprof00 said:
Financial statement coming out soon? sweet. I expect them to be in the green

You are clueless. Black, not green. I expect red though.

I meant in the green, as in, bathing in it :P

Around the Network

So the only reason the PS3 hasn't gone through the roof and sold more than the PS2 and Wii combined is that it's expensive? That's the only reason you can come up with?

I was really hoping for an insightful analysis. Instead I got a complete rehash of the price argument with an invented reason to ignore the fact that the Xbox 360's arcade model has the lowest pricepoint. Couldn't it possibly be considered that what the Playstation 3 offers isn't actually what people want? And that that is part of the reason it's not selling well?

I feel that excusing Sony for their appalling sales this generation simply because of the price is a stupid rationalization. Their machine is not only the most expensive on the market, it's also the most expensive to manufacture. That's a choice Sony made. It turned out to be a really bad one. It should be 'They made bad choices' instead of 'They are doing well considering how bad choices they made'.

Consider this: All three companies made different choices. Nintendo's choice earned them good sales and high profits. Microsoft's choices earned them mediocre sales and no profits/big losses(?). Sony's choices earned them mediocre/bad sales and huge losses.

And what do you mean that Wii owners 'wouldn't buy an HD console because of their inept casuality'? Is it "Wii doesn't count because I don't want it" or "Wii owners are too stupid for their own good"? Both reasons are bad, though the latter is downright loathsome.

By the way, your Bluray vs. DVD argument makes no sense whatsoever. When the PS3 released it was also relatively cheap compared to other blu-ray players. It was only recently that the Blu-ray price sunk beneath the PS3 price.

So apart from the opening post being a complete disaster, I believe the PS3 is doing ok, but Sony isn't. They're actually doing pretty bad right now, last I heard.

This is invisible text!

Lmao@ "inept casuality"! That description of Wii owners is awesome. I lost interest shortly after that.

As for your question: terrible. They've lost billions and probably will continue to lose money. The empire that they built with PS1/2 has been collapsed by the PS3. From a gamer's perspective they're doing fine if you like the games coming out for the PS3. However, this is a sales discussion.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

BoleroOfFire said:
Lmao@ "inept casuality"! That description of Wii owners is awesome. I lost interest shortly after that.

As for your question: terrible. They've lost billions and probably will continue to lose money. The empire that they built with PS1/2 has been collapsed by the PS3. From a gamer's perspective they're doing fine if you like the games coming out for the PS3. However, this is a sales discussion.

Couldn't agree more. It's quite sad to see, but we need to face the truth.

I haven't really played the Playstation systems as much as the competition. I do prefer the other systems. However, I hope they get back to profitability, as I always go for their electronics for the most part based on their quality.

Sony is not doing bad till 299$ PS3 price.)

Of`course they lost some big chunk of money, BUT
1) they WON Blu-ray vs HD-DVD war with PS3
2) they still HAVE 3rd party developers support(and i dare to say, PS3 gets more quality 3rd party titles than even Wii(well , this works same for x360, but still))
3) they are ABLE to sell PS3 for SAME 400$ price during almost 2 years

So, unless Sony won`t be able to cut PS3 price to 299$ THIS year, they are doing ok.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far