By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So how bad exactly is sony doing????

Well....it would seem that since this generation started, the standards for what are considered good sales have been signifigantly raised by the Wii.

It would appear that the biggest improvement over the playstation 2's success is the amount of time it took for the wii to become the leader.                Now we should take into account that the Playstation 3 still sold pretty damn well compared to the xbox and gamecube, and that the psp has more market share than the xbox 360..

Now what is the major correlation between these consoles and their place in the console war?

Well 

here is the list of games consoles from cheapest to most expensive.

1. wii

2. xbox 360

3. ps3.

here is the current places in the console war according to vgchartz.

1 wii

2 xbox 360 

3 ps3

It would seem that the price point of the two core systems are directly correlational to their sales.

You could argue that the 360 is cheaper than the wii, but anyone who buys an xbox will likely be buying one for the Xbox live and will likely get a pro or an elite.

Then there is the wii.

The wii has an audience made of people who like games that they can pick up and play. Casual gamers.  So they likely wouldn't be able to buy a 360 or playstation due to their inept casuality.

But we have to take into account the sales of the PS2 last generation. How do you suppose that system sold better than the wii?

Probably because the ps2 had a DVD drive and therefore the price did not matter because it was relatively cheap in relation to actual dvd players.

The reason you don't have so many people going out and buying a ps3 for blu-ray is the price. In this economy people don't have the disposable income that they did even 4 years ago.

So of course the xbox 360 is going to be the better selling core game system. 

But once the playstation 3 lowers it's price of manufacturing and MSRP, then you will see people going out and buying a playstation 3 because it has blu-ray.

Most people don't own Hi def sets however so that is debatable.

Rather people will see the playstation 3 has a better video download service, which is easier to use than netflix, and once the ps3 drops price people will want a ps3 just for the media functionality.

It should also be noted that the ps3 movie service does not require a separate account to use. Just pay and rent.

Because god knows that all those people didn't buy a ps2 for games.

Some of them did though.

By the way.. 

I am only hoping this is how things will pan out. I am hoping on getting a PS3 soon and I really, really want there to be a major turnaround.

This generation has only just begun, people are talking that the generation will end in 2014. So I kinda want sony to "win" again because While I do love my xbox, my playstations have always served me the best.

My name is blubeard because rosie has a blue beard. Just not on her chest.

Around the Network

to answer your question not bad at all in fact, there doing rather dam well considering all

I can't tell if this was a analysis or a sneak attack on the 360 lol.

360 slim and Forza 3 this holiday = win lol

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

PS3 slim and Gran Turismo 5 this holiday = win lol

Around the Network

Ps3 slim, is that even likely?

They said that was going to happen last year and it didn't.

My name is blubeard because rosie has a blue beard. Just not on her chest.

very badly. didn't you hear "S^NY IZ TEH DUUMEZ"

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

SickleSigh said:
I can't tell if this was a analysis or a sneak attack on the 360 lol.

360 caught flat footed, loses dex bonus to AC and takes 5d6 extra damage

Blubeard said:
Ps3 slim, is that even likely?

They said that was going to happen last year and it didn't.

Well I kinda responded to the OP although it was also a response to Aion's post which had nothing to do with the thread like most of his posts.

PS2 didn't sell better than Wii, it's got 2x's the sales now because it's been out for 11 years. Wii has been breaking all of PS2 sales records since it launched so that DVD argument doesn't hold water.

How bad is Sony doing?

Stuck in last since launch with no sign of a turnaround (2010 will be it's best year so if it's ever going to happen, it'll be then)

Still losing money on each PS3 sold (as far as anyone can tell)

Sales of PS2, PSP, PS3 all down from last year. 360's are up.

On the flip side. PS3 is NOT a failure sales wise. It's doing better than Xbox or GC did and against stiffer competition with much higher pricing. It has a lot of life left, most of it at lower price points. It's game line up next year is fantastic.

It will likely remain last this gen but finish with good numbers in a tight race with 360 but probably be an overall huge net loss for Sony financially, but it did win the HD format war so who knows what that's worth.