By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So how bad exactly is sony doing????

amp316 said:
Carl2291 said:
Considering prices, its doing awesome.

I think everyone should wait until the PS3 reaches 360/Wii entry level prices until they say its a failure.

... but this won't happen for a couple of years, if ever.

Being in last place for over 90% of a generation has to be considered a failure.  I'm sorry, but a professional table tennis player can't spin it to look good. 

I don't want to hear about how Gran Turismo 5 is going to save the system either.  MGS 4 didn't and neither will GT 5.

Its highly unlikely as you say, but its still a possibility.

But do you agree that for the price of it, and its competitors its doing well?

Being in last place for 90% of the gen wont be considered a failure, if they dont finish last overall. Sure, Sony would have wanted to be in 1st through the entire gen, but finishing 2nd to a console what's dominated as much as the Wii isnt something to be upset about.

Around the Network

Where is this 90% number coming from? Seems it should be higher to refer to the time period the ps3 has been in last place, which has been practically from the start.

No. I don't agree that it's doing well regardless of the price. This is Sony and they should have mopped the floor with everyone like they did the last couple of generations despite the price.

Sony is going to come in last this generation unless they stay on the market for two or three years longer than the 360. You can quote me on this if you want.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

FayeC said:
Where is this 90% number coming from? Seems it should be higher to refer to the time period the ps3 has been in last place, which has been practically from the start.

I said OVER 90%.

I was trying to be nice and accurate at the same time.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

They are doing quite badly, PS3 is doing ok at this stage of the generation but it was a financial disaster for Sony costing them billions ,and wiping out majority of PS2 profits, and they still are unable to make money from hardware.

As a console PS3 is great, as a business its the opposite.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
saicho said:
Carl2291 said:

I think everyone should wait until the PS3 reaches 360/Wii entry level prices until they say its a failure.

I love that statement and Alterego-X already addressed it.

"The whole "not bad, considering the price" argument is BS, it's like "you are not that stupid, considering that you are a retard".
It's the direct reaason of the failure, not an excuse."

No, its nothing like that at all and its not bullshit.

Wii and 360 are way cheaper at entry level and have been since PS3 launched. Yet the PS3 has still sold 20+ million in a quicker time than the 360 did. (i think so anyway... 99% positive it has)

That, is doing awesome, no matter how you try to spin it.

So basically Sony is doing awesome by losing a few billion dollars on PS3 and still losing money on each PS3 sold but being the best selling 3rd place console ever.

I'm wondering how you would describe Nintendo is doing now by making a couple billion dollars on Wii and profit on each Wii sold as well as being the best selling sonsole this gen.

To me, Nintendo is doing awesome with what I described above and Sony is not. I guess we have a different standard on what's awesome.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Worse than most people would admit. Every one of their divisions is losing money, especially gaming. They're losing $40 per unit on a last-place-and-continuing-to-fall-behind console for which the evidence of any kind of price drop is sketchy and based on hearsay. Every single decision they've made regarding the PS3 has been flat out retarded: removing BC, using Blu-Ray, removing USB ports, Home, etc. If there even is a PS3 slim, it'll be even more expensive than the phat, and don't even get me started on the PSP Go. Speaking of which, if getting their ass handed to them in consoles isn't bad enough, the PSP is nowhere near as popular or prevalent as the DS and its relevance will probably drop even more once the XBox handheld comes out.

So, yeah, it's in a bit of a pickle.

@rol
success really depends on what the purpose is right?
for nintendo it's making money, for sony it was to take over HD, and for MS it was to keep consoles out of the PC arena
they've all been successful

Why, they are making money on it now...?

amp316 said:
Carl2291 said:

... but this won't happen for a couple of years, if ever.

Being in last place for over 90% of a generation has to be considered a failure.  I'm sorry, but a professional table tennis player can't spin it to look good.

I don't want to hear about how Gran Turismo 5 is going to save the system either.  MGS 4 didn't and neither will GT 5.

But thx MGS4 the PS3 sold more than the Xbox 360 for months shouldn't you reconsider that aswell.  And save is really a strange word.