By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

FYI:

With two weeks of data still outstanding here is the YET standings as of now (with Famitsu JP estimates added in for this most recent week).

2008 NA JP Others Total
Wii 11,414,000 2,760,201 10,479,735 24,653,936
PS3 3,747,216 951,943 5,267,906 9,967,065
360 5,162,832 312,989 5,168,874 10,644,695
  • Wii - 54.46% market share on the year (and about 56% during Nov/Dec).  
  • PS3 - 22.02% market share on the year (and about 16% during Nov/Dec). 
  • 360 - 23.52% market share on the year (and about 28% during Nov/Dec). 

Just some data to keep in mind for predictions.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

@Sqrl: Nice, Wii is outselling the 360 and PS3 combined in all the regions!

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Final-Fan said:
It was one thing for Avinash to have insanely optimistic Wii predictions -- when we really had no idea how high demand truly was. But these insanely PESSIMISTIC 360 predictions only make Avinash look very, very foolish.
I'm not being pessimistic, i'm being realistic, this is 360's fourth year, and there will be likely be a slowdown in its sales, so 35 million as the top of the range is not unrealistic at all

10 million in 2008 being followed by 3 million in 2009 isn't "slowdown", it's DEATH.  You're predicting that the 360 will just DIE in 2009. 

Check out the way Gamecube sales went.  The 360 will more probably sell like it did in 2007, or at worst 2006.  What DID it sell in 2006/7 anyway?  I don't know but I know it was more than 3 million. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

supermario128 said:
The Wii will have at least 65% market share by the end of 2009.

i predict you cant count in %

Final-Fan said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Final-Fan said:
It was one thing for Avinash to have insanely optimistic Wii predictions -- when we really had no idea how high demand truly was. But these insanely PESSIMISTIC 360 predictions only make Avinash look very, very foolish.
I'm not being pessimistic, i'm being realistic, this is 360's fourth year, and there will be likely be a slowdown in its sales, so 35 million as the top of the range is not unrealistic at all

10 million in 2008 being followed by 3 million in 2009 isn't "slowdown", it's DEATH.  You're predicting that the 360 will just DIE in 2009. 

Check out the way Gamecube sales went.  The 360 will more probably sell like it did in 2007, or at worst 2006.  What DID it sell in 2006/7 anyway?  I don't know but I know it was more than 3 million.

Umm, 360 has sold 26.7 million so far, so 35 million would be about 8 million next year, so between 3-8 million in 2009, is not unrealistic, yes, 3 million is worst case scenario, which is why it is at the bottom of the range

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Final-Fan said:

People let their fanboy views get in the way unfortunatly :(

A good estimation for the PS3 would be between 7.5 - 10 million next year, unless its price is dropped its sales have got nowehere to go but down. Its the sales earlier in the year that gave it that ten million year total. If it got a price drop who knows, sales woulnd't sky rocket like the 360's though. See people fail tos ee the 360 price drop was more than a price "drop" it was a drop to get it to mass market .... hence why its selling 900K plus this week .. more than the PS3 did after its price drop and more than the 360 did after its first price drop. Theres price drop and there is mass market price.

PS3 won't reach mass market price next year ....

As for the 360, we havn't seen what it can do in slow months with its new price, if anything it will do the same as last year if not (most likely) even better. 10 - 12 million

The 360's a tough call. Usually the third full year on the market is the peak year for a console in terms of hardware sales, save for very rare cases (like the NES, which didn't peak until about 1988). The odds, going by historic data, are very good that the 360 will actually hit the market apogee point, meaning that we are quite likely to see fewer 360s sold in 2009 rather than more. If I had to put in a reasonable estimate, I'd say it should do between 8 and 10 million next year, putting it at around 36 to 38 million.

The PS3 is even harder to make bets on, mostly because of the fact that the price is a barrier to success and a price drop could easily change its fortunes. However, given current economic trends (ie. severe recession to depression in most countries), the PS3 is more or less assured to come out of next year looking sorry. It could easily track on par with the 360 as a best case scenario, so let's say 7 to 9 million, leaving it with about 27 to 29 million.

The Wii is actually the easiest to predict this time around, since market saturation is a pipe dream; it's still selling as though it's the system's launch year, 2 years out. All one really has to do is look at the past production hikes, carry the numbers, and do a bit of simple math to get the results. Which gives a staggering 33.6 million units next year as the most likely figure, sum total around 78.6 million. I realize that sounds crazy after those lowball figures above for 360 and PS3, but this is not actually that shocking. The same thing happened with the GameCube, original XBOX, and PlayStation 2 around 2003. The GC and XB dropped off, while the PS2 kept sales up nice and high.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Final-Fan said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Final-Fan said:

Umm, 360 has sold 26.7 million so far, so 35 million would be about 8 million next year, so between 3-8 million in 2009, is not unrealistic, yes, 3 million is worst case scenario, which is why it is at the bottom of the range

Still, 3 million for the 360 is just about as unlikely as Kzoellner's 14 million prediction for the Wii -- which you rightly derided.  

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Final-Fan said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Final-Fan said:

Still, 3 million for the 360 is just about as unlikely as Kzoellner's 14 million prediction for the Wii -- which you rightly derided.

Unlikely perhaps, but not out of the realm of possibility, PS3 price drops, the take off of Blu-ray, etc, could hamper the 360, but yes, i'm fairly certain that it will be closer to 35 million than 30 million, by end of 09

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

axumblade said:
Wii - 70-80 million
PS3 - 30-35 million
xbox 360 - 40-50 million

ds - 120-130 million
psp - 60-70 million

I love being vague :D

Why does everybody think the 360 will continue to sell at godlike levels? 50 million? 22 million in one year? Considering that's also your Wii prediction...

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective