By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Free Radical Design closing doors according to GamesIndustry.biz and others

Taking it as UNCONFIRMED.

--

Independent UK studio Free Radical Design closed its doors this morning, GamesIndustry.biz understands, with multiple sources claiming that staff, including senior executives, have already left the company.

It is also believed that the unnamed project for LucasArts - announced back in 2006 and thought to be Star Wars Battlefront III - has been shipped off to Rebellion, the developer behind PSP hit Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron.

One source claims staff turned up to work today to find doors locked, and instructions to meet at a nearby hotel for a final company meeting.

Last month, when contacted by GamesIndustry.biz, director Steve Ellis denied there were any changes at the company.

"Nothing unusual is happening here. Projects end. New projects start. That's how things have worked for nearly 10 years," he said then.

TimeSplitters 4 and the unnamed project were both still in development said Ellis, as were "other unannounced projects, which are in the process of being signed."

And days later, when more industry chatter questioned the future of the Nottingham studio, Ellis said that "we certainly won't be laying off any staff today. Or, for that matter, any time in 2008."

"If something happens in 2009 I'm sure we'll be prepared to comment - but from where I'm sitting, whatever happens is far more likely to be positive than negative," he added.

Calls to senior staff at Free Radical Design by GamesIndustry.biz yesterday and today have not been returned.

--

Source:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/free-radical-design-latest-to-face-financial-trouble

--

Also on Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/5113039/rumor-free-radical-in-a-whole-lot-of-trouble

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network

Weren't these the guys that were bashing halo ?? Anyway their games were shit so no big loss.

I blame Haze.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Shame. But really they did themselves no favours with Haze. They should have put out a next gen timesplitters first then tried a new IP with that cushion.

The bigger shame is they treated their staff so well, paying overtime which few developers do apparently - I never like to see a company that actually looks after its staff go under.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Sucks, if true.

Recession proof wut?

Around the Network

Well I'm gonna play Timesplitters 3 again.. such a shame..

ps: Nintendo if you read this.. please take over the staff.. a nice fps developer wouldn't hurt..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

That's really bad news!!! TS games were incredible, and they were making Star Wars Battlefront III and TimeSplitters 4, I am really disappointed by this news

Timesplitters, Second sight were great games imho.

Big shame. I hope the guys/girls will find new jobs.

I hope someone can take them over, but I doubt it in the current climate. No TimeSplitters 4 *cries*

Another private studio close the doors ? how unsurprising.

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.