By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Free Radical Design closing doors according to GamesIndustry.biz and others

Actually it's better if no one even attempts it. We all know now that if you make a product bigger than your britches and you don't succeed you sink. If a company bailed them out then this idea of making big games would be too common. What would happen is that the middle companies would rely on being bought out.

This is a time where it is best learned for making stupid moves will lead to your companies downfall.

If a company wants to develope a big game then look for a contract first. In the mean time make smaller games along the lines of World of Goo, Peggle....

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Around the Network
.jayderyu said:
Actually it's better if no one even attempts it. We all know now that if you make a product bigger than your britches and you don't succeed you sink. If a company bailed them out then this idea of making big games would be too common. What would happen is that the middle companies would rely on being bought out.

This is a time where it is best learned for making stupid moves will lead to your companies downfall.

If a company wants to develope a big game then look for a contract first. In the mean time make smaller games along the lines of World of Goo, Peggle....

Being bought by another company, or entering into a development contract with a company, can hardly be considered a "bail-out" ...

bigjon said:
I feel this all happened because of Haze.

All other feelings aside on how we want the end to be i.e, a) close the company down for good, b)get bought out by another company c)sell their ip d)reform and continue production, I think we can all agree that the above is the ultimate reason that this is happening

“When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment and I told them they didn’t understand life." - author unknown

I do not view Haze as being the cause of the probable downfall. I view the game as merely being a symptom of the disease. Which eventually killed the company. Since the company was ailing it would be little surprise if development was failing. Basically the game was shitty, because the staff was having a shitty time. Which is as good an explanation for Haze as anything else. Shitty management is probably to blame. Making poor strategic choices, poor financial choices, and in the end was probably abusive to the employees. Given the origins of this developer it is not at all surprising if they did implode due to internal conflict.

For all the mention of Nintendo. I would say that makes little to no sense. The most logical conclusion would be Microsoft coming to the rescue. For no other reason then Lionhead, and Rare being right down the road. If nothing else its highly likely that both these studios will claim a fair share of the terminated. However others have said it the developer has little of value. The name brand recognition has been poisoned, and the intellectual properties are of no real merit. A word to the wise with developers a good franchise starts with a good story. Not with a good premise. You cannot kill a good story.

I agree with erikers. Shouldn't have left Rare because then Ninty would still own them as they would be worthwhile haha.

But if true this is saddening. Great set of developers.

Around the Network

They were trying to sell a potential TS4 and nobody wanted it. Not sony , not ms, not EA , not activision.....NOBODY.
As for the "their previous games sold ...... millions" crowd ,don't get me started on these matters !!

Dodece said:
I do not view Haze as being the cause of the probable downfall. I view the game as merely being a symptom of the disease. Which eventually killed the company. Since the company was ailing it would be little surprise if development was failing. Basically the game was shitty, because the staff was having a shitty time. Which is as good an explanation for Haze as anything else. Shitty management is probably to blame. Making poor strategic choices, poor financial choices, and in the end was probably abusive to the employees. Given the origins of this developer it is not at all surprising if they did implode due to internal conflict.

For all the mention of Nintendo. I would say that makes little to no sense. The most logical conclusion would be Microsoft coming to the rescue. For no other reason then Lionhead, and Rare being right down the road. If nothing else its highly likely that both these studios will claim a fair share of the terminated. However others have said it the developer has little of value. The name brand recognition has been poisoned, and the intellectual properties are of no real merit. A word to the wise with developers a good franchise starts with a good story. Not with a good premise. You cannot kill a good story.

Microsoft just closed Ensemble Studios in order to make their gaming division profitable. Why would they want to take on more employees. Secondly, Microsoft has declared Rare to be a casaul developer. Maybe it's just for this gen but who knows?

Nintendo is a very logical choice. Iwata stated that Nintendo needs to develop relationships with developers in Europe. This would give them a chance to do that. Secondly, Nintendo has the Q Fund which they use to invest in Studios, it's actually part of their business. Last Gen they invested in Game Designer's Studio, which was a subsidary of Square before they merged with Enix and Nintendo EAD Tokyo. This gen they spent 26 million to open an office in South korea. They also used the Q Fund to invest in their second party studios like Camelot and others. The most important happening in the purchase of a studio is that the team can stay together. Rare and Lionhead only have so many positions available and will not be able to absorb all the talent.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

@patjuan32

Microsoft never stated they closed Ensemble due to financial concerns. Be wary of stating your assumptions as facts. They are not interchangeable. There are equally valid reasons for closing Ensemble above wanting to make more money. A equally valid answer, and one that does actually fit the available facts is Microsoft decided to restructure their internal divisions, or to create a larger division internally. In which case the manpower need to be reallocated from somewhere, and why not use the staff of Ensemble.

Ensemble isn't an argument against Microsoft increasing its personnel. In so much as its highly unlikely Microsoft would want to purchase the physical assets, but if they could buy most of the team, and the licensed properties it could just become a team within the physical space of one of their two local development houses. They could basically acquire on the cheap.

wow even though haze is bad i feel sorry for them but i didnt realise on top of the famous studios in england such as mm, criterion, sony liverpool/london and evolution studios there wer loads of other ones such as rebellion and monumental games!

From the Nottingham Evening Post:

"A Computer games company which employs 185 people has gone in to administration.

Staff at Free Radical Design, which is based in Bostocks Lane, Sandiacre, turned up to work this morning to find the locks had been changed.

A note stuck on the door told them to attend a meeting at the nearby Novotel at midday.

Cameron Gunn, of Resolve Partners, the administrators that have been called in to deal with the firm, said: "The company was placed in to administration yesterday afternoon.

"We will be spending the next three or four days assessing the financial position of the company but it's business as usual, although we have asked that almost all of the employees apart from a skeleton crew remain at home."

"All employees have been paid up until the end of December and we hope to make another announcement before Christmas or very soon thereafter, but we must stress at this stage that it's business as usual."

Source