By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Free Radical Design closing doors according to GamesIndustry.biz and others

noname2200 said:
celine said:
Another private studio close the doors ? how unsurprising.

They made a big-budget HD game and it failed to break even. Doesn't take anything more to kill the average studio nowadays.

If this is true, you will be missed, Free Radical.

P.S. Nintendo, I know you've heard this dozens of times from tons of people, but...you have money. You could bulk up your game porfolio with a good FPS or two, to attract the upstream. Free Radical needs money...

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Nintendo is a business, not a charity.

Around the Network
nintendo_fanboy said:
Very Sad. Nintendo should just buy the studio and name it freeradicalware in future, and they should also get a new logo which would be blue and golden/yellow.

I was actually thinking something very similar ...

With how few western publishers are turning healthy profits, and how difficult it is to access credit, I think that Nintendo is one of the few companies who could put in an offer for Free Radical and so they would be cheap at the moment. I really enjoyed the Timesplitters games and Second Site, and I think that (depending on how much debt Free Radical holds) it might make sense to buy Free Radical just to control those IPs; if any of the talent remains in the company this could be an amazing deal for a company like Nintendo.

fulcizombie said:
StarcraftManiac said:
fulcizombie said:
Weren't these the guys that were bashing halo ?? Anyway their games were shit so no big loss.

Hahaha! They were bashing Halo yeah! And rightfully so! Haze might've been a bad game but Timesplitters was EPIC! And definitely better then Halo! Also, their main staff was part of the people that created Goldeneye on the N64~!

So get your facts together before you start calling Free Radical a shitty dev!

the TS games were shit and sold like shit , that's why no publisher cares about this franchise.

Such vulgar language, with no purpose, for almost no reason at all. FYI, FRD had 4 titles sell over 1 million copies and at least 1 to sell over 2 million copies. Then, there's the numerous awards they've won or been nominated for, including "Developer Of The Year". Also, TS2 happens to be the highest ranked PS2 FPS. No bad for an indie company, if you ask me. Free Rad's Staff members have been hired in the past to map levels for other prestigious games, besides the ones they made for FRD and Rare. So, it seems to me that, a large % of the gaming community would strongly disagree with you.  I'm sure they've made an impact on other game studios. I seriously doubt, FPS would be as good today as they are, if the developers behind FRD weren't around. Though, how many games they've sold and how highly accliamed they were doesn't really matters to me, at this point. What matters is, I've spent countless hours enjoying their games and that they've made a memorable impact on me. I'll probably be able to take out 1 of their games, years from now and play it, like it was new. But with a strong argument like TS is shit, I can see I was wrong to waste my time on them. Thanks, for allowing me to see the errors of my ways.

fulcizombie said:
StarcraftManiac said:
fulcizombie said:
Weren't these the guys that were bashing halo ?? Anyway their games were shit so no big loss.

Hahaha! They were bashing Halo yeah! And rightfully so! Haze might've been a bad game but Timesplitters was EPIC! And definitely better then Halo! Also, their main staff was part of the people that created Goldeneye on the N64~!

the TS games were shit and sold like shit , that's why no publisher cares about this franchise.

Don't talk BS... TS 2 and Future Perfect got really good reviews and according to FRD they sold 1 million + on the PS2! The game also had a really fanatic fanbase!

THE NETHERLANDS

crap, i was looking forward to timesplliters 4, Haze was a killer like they said alright, just the wrong type of a killer

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
noname2200 said:
celine said:

They made a big-budget HD game and it failed to break even. Doesn't take anything more to kill the average studio nowadays.

P.S. Nintendo, I know you've heard this dozens of times from tons of people, but...you have money. You could bulk up your game porfolio with a good FPS or two, to attract the upstream. Free Radical needs money...

Indeed.

However they could be used to make Donkey Kong Country 4! After all they were part of the original Rare...

But highly unlikely. Nintendo only buys studio's if they have a long working relationship with them. They'll go for Factor5 much earlier than FRD.

FishyJoe said:

Pish-posh. Nintendo is my friend...don't try to poison my mind, FishyJoe. I'm on to you...

HappySqurriel said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
Very Sad. Nintendo should just buy the studio and name it freeradicalware in future, and they should also get a new logo which would be blue and golden/yellow.

I was actually thinking something very similar ...

With how few western publishers are turning healthy profits, and how difficult it is to access credit, I think that Nintendo is one of the few companies who could put in an offer for Free Radical and so they would be cheap at the moment. I really enjoyed the Timesplitters games and Second Site, and I think that (depending on how much debt Free Radical holds) it might make sense to buy Free Radical just to control those IPs; if any of the talent remains in the company this could be an amazing deal for a company like Nintendo.

It sounds like most of the staff was already gone.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/source-free-radical-locked-up

The source claimed that the company "didn't treat their staff well at all." Rumors of a closure were circulating within the company for "a few weeks."

"People have been leaving in droves due to lack of security, poor treatment of staff, better offers and guaranteed work from other local developers such as Monumental Games and one in Derby whose name escapes me [Rebellion and Core Design both have Derby locations--ed.]."

Doak reportedly "officially" left the company early this month, and Ellis has set up another company called Pumpkin Beach, which already has a placeholder website registered under his name. The two are reportedly working on this project together and will "hand pick" Free Radical staff to join them.

NintendoMonopoly said:
fulcizombie said:
StarcraftManiac said:
fulcizombie said:

Such vulgar language, with no purpose, for almost no reason at all. FYI, FRD had 4 titles sell over 1 million copies and at least 1 to sell over 2 million copies. Then, there's the numerous awards they've won or been nominated for, including "Developer Of The Year". Also, TS2 happens to be the highest ranked PS2 FPS. No bad for an indie company, if you ask me. Free Rad's Staff members have been hired in the past to map levels for other prestigious games, besides the ones they made for FRD and Rare. So, it seems to me that, a large % of the gaming community would strongly disagree with you. I'm sure they've made an impact on other game studios. I seriously doubt, FPS would be as good today as they are, if the developers behind FRD weren't around. Though, how many games they've sold and how highly accliamed they were doesn't really matters to me, at this point. What matters is, I've spent countless hours enjoying their games and that they've made a memorable impact on me. I'll probably be able to take out 1 of their games, years from now and play it, like it was new. But with a strong argument like TS is shit, I can see I was wrong to waste my time on them. Thanks, for allowing me to see the errors of my ways.

There are a lot of people (PS3 fans primarily) who saw how poorly games like Haze and Lair turned out and have (immediately) turned against the developers who produced those games even though they have a long history of producing excellent games. Certainly, expectations for future games from these companies should be managed but that doesn't mean that they can't return to the quality they were once known for.

noname2200 said:
celine said:

Imagine if they combined these guys with Retro studios...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.