By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Big Boss: Resistance 2 sold about 1/4 of what Gears has sold in the week

I think I'm gonna hold LBP until December.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Well definetely don't skip LBP as thats the most different one out of them.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

I'm confused - why is everyone saying that Resistance sold 500k in North America alone? Here's what ioi said:

Resistance 2 sold about 1/4 of what Gears has sold in the week... will wait for finalised numbers though.

From the news post on Gears sales, we also have the information that Gears of War sold 2.5m copies in the first two days, with a 2:1 split of America/Europe. That's roughly 1.65m copies in America, and 850k in Europe for Gears. If we divide those numbers by four, we get a 400k debut for Resistance in America, and a little over 200k in Europe.

Am I missing something here (?)

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

@sulla

yeah you are missing something.... its not out in EU till 28th

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Sullla said:

I'm confused - why is everyone saying that Resistance sold 500k in North America alone? Here's what ioi said:

Resistance 2 sold about 1/4 of what Gears has sold in the week... will wait for finalised numbers though.

From the news post on Gears sales, we also have the information that Gears of War sold 2.5m copies in the first two days, with a 2:1 split of America/Europe. That's roughly 1.65m copies in America, and 850k in Europe for Gears. If we divide those numbers by four, we get a 400k debut for Resistance in America, and a little over 200k in Europe.

Am I missing something here (?)

Resistance 2 is not out in Europe, but otherwise right. In this thread ioi has said it is between 300-500k

Around the Network

500k first week a bomb? sigh people are weird.

Well those numbers are not bad at all, GeOW 2 is a mammoth. R2 was never going to be a huge seller, Killzone 2 is the game I suspect will sell fantastic on PS3.

So that could mean roughly a 600-700k week 1 debut worldwide.

Given the legs of the first title, it's almost a guaranteed 2m seller.

I'd choose a trusted dev first... unless you really can't wait to play a game... or rent both and make a decision... rent for 1 day both games... then make your choice

500k in one week in one region is a bomb now?

Well, I never expected it to do nearly as well as Gears 2. It probably isn't as good, and the first Gears sold extremely well and got several GoTY awards when its console actually had a few games out for it...

Back when Fall of Man was released, it was the best game on PS3 for a good six months. Resistance 2 doesn't have that luxury. I'll still buy it though, so that can be +1 to worldwide sales :D

EDIT: Lol. Fall of Man did 42,000 first week in NA. Now THAT is a bomb. Granted, the install base was tiny, but on European release week, it sold 180,000.

R2 will have more than a million first week easily, I think.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective