By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Big Boss: Resistance 2 sold about 1/4 of what Gears has sold in the week

kowenicki said:
It clearly hasnt bombed if ioi numbers are accurate but it is relatively disappointing compared to Gears... but then... so would 99% of all game launches be compared to this.

The only thing Res 2 has to worry about is that in EU it is launching after COD WaW... which cant be a good thing.

Like I said before, let's look at Treyarch's last attempt at COD:

COD3 sold under 500k LTD. I think it was 380k.

Resistance: Fall of Man sold over 3 million LTD. Same release date.

Granted, COD3 was a port, but it wasn't very good, and it destroyed a lot of people's faith in Treyarch. Which is why I don't think World at War is really competition for Resistance 2.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

Wow, that's big! So, R2 will probably make the million on its first full week. Not bad at all, probably 2M+ after christmas^^

Well done insomniac.

dude the game has only launched in one region,,,where as gears has launched worldwide,,,I think R2 did pretty good.(good luck finding a room online in the competitive mode,,,lol,,,the freaking thing is always full).

same thing with metal gear 4 it had WW release date.

P.S. did u by any chance expect R2 to sell on par with gears 2?

In comparison to gears, pretty much everything will bomb. Does that mean every game coming out around the time of GeoW2 is a bomb?!

It is the life time sales that will indicate how well the game has done. With GeoW2, it will probably have most 360 owners go buy a copy close to its release (having had a big following since its original release and a sequal being anticipated since then) whilst the ps3 users will probably slowly generate decent sales over the next few months (had a smaller following since the original due to number of ps3 owners on release).

Fei-Hung said:
In comparison to gears, pretty much everything will bomb. Does that mean every game coming out around the time of GeoW2 is a bomb?!

It is the life time sales that will indicate how well the game has done. With GeoW2, it will probably have most 360 owners go buy a copy close to its release (having had a big following since its original release and a sequal being anticipated since then) whilst the ps3 users will probably slowly generate decent sales over the next few months (had a smaller following since the original due to number of ps3 owners on release).

That's not entirely accurate. Safe for the Nintendo published Wii games, everything drops in prices. Thus, one can say that probably just the 1st and 2nd shipments are sold to the retailer at full price. This means that they earn far more on the earlier sold games than on the later ones.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Around the Network

People get way too hung up over the big first week numbers.

In case this wasn't brought up before, let me show everyone the sales of a certain game:

Total Sales 0.13m 1.86m 1.70m 3.69m
Week 1 32,205 233,341 179,100 444,646
Week 2 17,387 109,171 100,418 226,976
Week 3 12,307 73,192 70,694 156,193
Week 4 8,433 59,930 75,343 143,706
Week 5 7,656 86,766 82,008 176,430
Week 6 6,789 125,281 111,976 244,046
Week 7 5,115 142,125 159,288 306,528
Week 8 4,049 84,849 93,618 182,516
Week 9 3,062 44,401 55,321 102,784
Week 10 2,663 36,076 39,868 78,607

The above numbers are from CoD4, the second best selling game on the PS3. I've been saying this for most games that have come out recently: there's really no reason to whine about its sales until the holidays pass. If it can sell anything like CoD4 does, it's fine. I still think it will pass the first Resistance in sales.

If you were expecting this game to outperform Gears, you were setting yourself up for a disappointment.

I was expecting something more for Resistance 2 ,but 400-500K isnt half bad.

We have to consider some things..

1)Sony first party games have been released with little hype.I mean ,excepting LBP ..R2 and Motorstorm 2 have appeared in the shelves out of nowhere with people still thinking they were a long way off.But the big communities of online players that the three games can get will bring good legs for them.

2)Theres a lot of games to compete right now on the PS3.Bioshock ,Little Big Planet ,Valkyrie of Battlefield ,Motorstorm 2,Dead Space ,Fallout 3,Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm ,Midnight Club LA  ,many many more.....its clear the 6+ million userbase of the PS3 in North America cant swallow that many games with OMG numbers for all of them at the same time.Christmas will bring some 2 million new PS3 users more and more funds to buy games for existing ones  and these games will come into their own as numbers go.

Compared to Gears 2 Fable II has bombed terribly ,and Banjo will be one of the worst flops ever.

kowenicki said:
It clearly hasnt bombed if ioi numbers are accurate but it is relatively disappointing compared to Gears... but then... so would 99% of all game launches be compared to this.

The only thing Res 2 has to worry about is that in EU it is launching after COD WaW... which cant be a good thing.

Lol?

this isn't a bad launch, but some posters have been hoping it would be the next halo sales-wise. It may eventually sell 2-3m, but I doubt it's going to be the ps3 version of halo.