By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Big Boss: Resistance 2 sold about 1/4 of what Gears has sold in the week

If R2 did 500k then its good but 300-400k is simply not enough.

Around the Network

I didn't expect GOW2 to perform so well in the very first days but I was sure it would be better than R2.

R2 is good but nothing exceptional compared to GOW2 (especially from the graphical / animation side).

It is true that the release calendar is not favorable too (considering how Microsoft marketing protected GOW2 from other games. We all remember how the announcement of HALO 3 Recon was canceled at the E3...).

Sony really sucks at planning the release of the PS3 games apparently...or they don't consider R2 as a blockbuster for end of 2008.

So the results of R2 are quite honest to start with ...

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

Gears 2 will fall hard next week, 2.5 mil 1st week just means it was verrrrry verrrry verrry frontloaded.

so it has done better than cod 4 PS3 version in NA?(since it's only launched in NA)

it might outsell the first one easily.

COD4 sold 234,000 units on launch for PS3 in NA(Vs. 400-500 thousand Resistance 2)

darthdevidem01 said:
IT BEAT MGS4's OPENING WEEK

wel ALMOST DID

tell me DID MGS4 BOMB?

lol.....please change your OP or people will laugh at you!

Only difference: MGS4 managed it to sell ~500k in NA/Others AND Japan.

Around the Network

Insomniac delivering, news at eleven =)

It'll sell gangbusters, not gears level ofc but it'll do amazingly well.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Wait a second. R2 sold 400k the first week and people think it bombed? What sort of bizarro world have I stepped into. Those are excellent sales. Resistance 1 sold pretty well. Sure it was not up to Gears levels but few games sell that many copies. Even if R2 doesn't reach R1's sales, it would probably be because of the bundles that padded Resistance 1's sales a bit.

as some people said, competition wize, it sucks. but in terms of a stand alone game, it did great.

....Why is everyone citing 500,000 in NA?

Gears did not sell 2,000,000 in North America. Gears 2 sold around 1,500,000-1,700,000 in NA alone (for the week) with the rest going to Others.

That'd put Resistance 2 at 375,000-425,000 for the week. A little lower than what everyone is throwing around.

FYI: Even if it sold 400k in NA, that's still great. I think Sony fans have their beer goggles on. Very few games do that well on the Playstation 3 for debuts, but have OK to good legs for most games. The PS3 isn't the X360. It can't move the kinds of units the X360 can on Day-1 due to attach ratios and buyer trends, but can make up (somewhat) for it by having legs.

I'd assume this will be the start of Resistance climbing to 3m+ worldwide, which is a very good number for a newer-esque IP.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

What makes the big sales of Resistance interesting is that I've been long hearing this theory that this gen both the X360 and the PS3 share a very similar demographic.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).