By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rant: Is Nintendo being honest with consumer?

I was surprised last week when my mother mentioned that she wanted to get a Nintendo DS (actually she is such a non-gamer that she wasn't even sure what the handheld was called) and Brain Age.  She is basically worried about getting Alzheimer's disease and has gotten the impression from word of mouth and commercials that the game will reduce the risk of her getting it.  I suspect that there are a lot of consumers who have been given the same impression even though there hasn't been a serious study (or any study I'm aware of for that matter) to prove that it does indeed make a difference.  The only thing I could find was on Wikipedia and it was a quote from the National Executive Director of Alzheimer's Australia in which he says: "A lifestyle that includes routine mental activities may increase alertness and agility of thought.".  He doesn't quote any studies or anything at all to back up his statement and Nintendo is donating money to their group.

Then there is Wii Fit which from the videos I've seen has no real chance of making anyone fit.  The worst part is that the device will likely take time away from actually going to a gym or elsewhere and getting the exercise that would actually get them into shape.  I realize that people say "Well it's better than just playing a videogame" but that's not the point I'm trying to make.  Some of the people that will be buying into the whole Wii Fit craze will be non-gamers who likely wouldn't have been playing games otherwise.

Anyways sorry for ranting but I find this as sleazy as those selling fake diet pills or poor exercise equipment or any of the other things that companies do that takes people's money under false pretenses or no real scientific evidence.  I'd have far more respect for Nintendo if they actually had a large warning on the game and in commercials that it's only a game and that there is no scientific evidence that Brain Age actually improves intelligence or reduces the risk of Alzheimer's disease.  And they should include something similar with Wii Fit saying it's only a fun prop to use for videogames and people that are actually seeking to become fit should go to a gym or elsewhere.

Around the Network

About Brain Age, I don't think there's been any conclusive study but I believe there's a good number of people that continually doing brain exercises helps you be more alert and may help against Alzheimer's. I don't think Nintendo has ever come out and said "buy Brain Age: you won't get Alzheimer's," rather than just saying it will help keep you sharp. It is known that doing brain exercises like crossword puzzles, number memory, and other things do help you stay more focused and more alert and does help you remember things more by just being active. Your mother could probably get the same help by buying a big book of crosswords but that's not nearly as fun as seeing the floating head is it?

As for Wii Fit, from what I've seen it does have some minigames that aren't really exercises(soccerball head but and hula-hoop), but the rest seem to be aerobic workouts and yoga exercises. Maybe we're just looking at different videos and reading different articles.

-edit-
And I thought you left?

They are being 100% honest ...

There have been studies that show that many of the mental problems associated to old age (Alzheimer's, dementia, etc.) can be prevented or improved (both to a certain extent) by a variety of things including repetative thinking tasks (crosswords, suduko, learning an insturment) and minor physical activity. Brain Training was developed based on a book of excercises that was released for this purpose and was created (in part) by the author of the book.

Initially I was highly skeptical on the benefit of Wii Fit but this was from my perspective (someone who does an hour of cardio every day) ... When I started to think about it probably 95% of people in North America are in worse shape than I am and the bottom 25% will probably see some benefit from Wii Fit. Will it make them a fitness guru? Probably not but it may get them interested in fitness which may end with them becomming a fitness guru.

http://www.helpguide.org/elder/alzheimers_prevention_slowing_down_treatment.htm

"Mental exercise has been associated with a reduced risk of getting Alzheimer's. Do something different or learn something new every day or engage in a challenging activity that will exercise your brain:

Play memory games to improve or train your memory
Do crossword puzzles, sudoku, jigsaw puzzles
Play board games, card games, other strategy games"

Of course mental exercise will help reduce the risk of Alzheimer's. It's a simple matter of "use it or lose it". Sorry, but I think this is a far cry from a diet pill scheme.

And I rather doubt that, for people on an exercise program that is working for them, they're going to replace that routine with Wii Fit. It's intended primarily for people who aren't getting exercise. Just because you're a non-gamer doesn't mean you exercise. (Hell, I'm a gamer and I DO exercise, so be gentle when handling stereotypes.)

"Whenever you find a man who says he doesn't believe in a real Right and Wrong, you will find the same man going back on this a moment later."   -C.S. Lewis

"We all make choices... but in the end, our choices... make us."   -Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Prediction: Wii passes 360 in US between July - September 2008. (Wii supply will be the issue to watch, and barring any freak incidents between now and then as well.) - 6/5/08; Wow, came true even earlier. Wii is a monster.

I read two studies in our newspaper just 3 months back and they both confirmed Brain Age is really helping. Heck, in Japan Hospitals they even use it for people with Alzheimer disease... it must be true otherwise it wouldn´t be an official therapy.

Oh and by the way: sudoku etc. don´t help your brain working faster, Brain Age does, though.

It is created by Ryuuta Kawashima, he´s very well known in Japan and one of the best experts in that subject.

I wonder if there is a wikipedia article about him?

For Wii Fit: It is more of making someone interested in Fitness. and honestly if you are overweight every kind of movement can help you.

Around the Network

It should be common sense that doing something that stimulates your brainpower, like Brain Age or Big Brain, is healthier for your mind than Resident Evil 4. Won't make you a genius or stave off disease, but c'mon. It's not like it's a thinly veiled lie about being beneficial.

Dude, people lose weight from fucking Wii Sports. I personally think it's dumb to expect the Wii to be an exercise device, but Wii Fit will be way better than doing nothing, and who knows how a Wii Fit regimen will compare to how each person would normally exercise. You could say the same criticisms about DDR, but it really can drop pounds on you.

WTF? Neither game is advertised as a cure-all.

Let your mom play Brain Age if she wants to.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Every little bit helps.

No hehehehe, the wii isnt really an online system at least yet. They said it was.

mM

I think Wii Fit most certainly help keep people in shape. I occasionally use Wii Sports as exercise and it wears me out. To have a software that is designed specifically for fitness I am sure will work even better.

I also use Brain Age in hopes it wards off Alzheimers. If nothing else, I can definitely tell my memory, concentration and attention to detail has improved. 40 years or so years from now, if it adds a year or two (or even a day) of lucidness to my life, I will feel it is worth it. Besides, it is fun and I am now a Sudoku addict.