By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rant: Is Nintendo being honest with consumer?

I think WiiFit will (could) be about as useful to being fit as any of the other tons of aerobic exercise videos out there, maybe a small bit more so since it comes with built in tracking tools and balance/posture checks and stuff too.

Around the Network
Legend11 said:
Yeah sorry about the rant from earlier today, I guess if my mom has fun with the game that is all that matters and if it does indeed help people, it's a bonus. I'll be picking up a DS and Brain Age this week, possibly tonight :)

The brain is just like any other organ... If you neglect it, it turns to mush! Maybe your mom saw a DS commercial with that one australian actress, haha.

DKII said:
I think WiiFit will (could) be about as useful to being fit as any of the other tons of aerobic exercise videos out there, maybe a small bit more so since it comes with built in tracking tools and balance/posture checks and stuff too.

Agreed, the chart tracking may be even more important than any of the excercises. It'll serve as a constant reminder for people to excercise even if it's on non wiifit methods. I also like how Wiifit will also make excercise more of a whole family. One of the best motivators to be work out is to have someone to do it with. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Legend11 said:
Yeah sorry about the rant from earlier today, I guess if my mom has fun with the game that is all that matters and if it does indeed help people, it's a bonus. I'll be picking up a DS and Brain Age this week, possibly tonight :)

No prob Legend. But do me a favour. Whether or not you get Brain Age, get clubhouse games! THAT is a game your mom will love. 

Infact as I type this, my mom is sitting beside me playing bowling. It comes with 42 card, table and other parlour games and it's one hundred percent parent addicting. I got it so my parents could try a game on my DS, within 2 weeks my mom suggested I get a second DS for dad on fathers day, so we could play games together (single card multi!) Now my dad playes solitaire and chinese checkers, and my mom loved grid attack, billiards and bowling. We also play games together all the time. Currently my mom's best friend and my older sister and her partner are now thinking of getting DS's just for that game.

Your mom will love it, and more importantly, you will actually enjoy playing it with her. Playing videogames with your mom? Now THAT is cool 

I have my own apartment so I probably wouldn't get the chance to play against her or my sisters but thanks for the suggestion I'll pick up that game as well (if it's easy to find) :)

Darc Requiem said:
Wow what a complete wasted of my time. I want a refund on my time after reading this post.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread.  You are truly an inspiration to us all.

Mental exercises increase alertness and agility and prevent loss of such abilites, and Brain Age is a mental exercise pack.  This shouldn't be that difficult. 

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

Around the Network

Wii/DS are the solution to world peace. I think they should run for Miss Universe.

Her getting Brain Age has nothing to do with being a gamer. One game does not make you a gamer. Specially if you want to use it to increase brain activity. Braingage is a good game for that and and it would be good for your mom.

The place where Wii Fit will help is people who would be sitting on their ass otherwise (like me!).

As for brain age, I seriously doubt that it is going to hurt your mom's thinking abilities and I would be more than surprised if it didn't improve her mental agility so to speak. Keeping an active mind and body has been the prescription from many doctors for the elderly for a long long time. And if it is of benefit for no other reason than to make them feel good and give them hope then it has already paid for itself in my book.

To Each Man, Responsibility

From my perspective. Sure ppl will want to buy games (consoles) to assist their well being, but how does that differ from ppl that want to get fit and they buy infomerical excercise equipment then after a few weeks just sits in the garage until they finally sell the damn thing.

Ok I been there done that. Seems more mini games that come out to attract non gamers is going to be brought on emotion.

Is it just me, or is it possible, that Nintendo could follow the path of Atari, in making a lot of games so fast that thy become crap and could possibly hurt the gaming industry? (not a Flame, just an honest question)

Sadly Nintendo is now a toy and an old people's machine. no offense but if I buy one it will be for my little daughter. I'd rather the eye and singstar over the wii mini games.

Unleash The Beast!  

End of 2011 Sales: Wii = 90mil, 360 = 61mil, PS3= 60mil

Legend11 said:

Anyways sorry for ranting but I find this as sleazy as those selling fake diet pills or poor exercise equipment or any of the other things that companies do that takes people's money under false pretenses or no real scientific evidence. I'd have far more respect for Nintendo if they actually had a large warning on the game and in commercials that it's only a game and that there is no scientific evidence that Brain Age actually improves intelligence or reduces the risk of Alzheimer's disease. And they should include something similar with Wii Fit saying it's only a fun prop to use for videogames and people that are actually seeking to become fit should go to a gym or elsewhere.

You didn't follow the development of the original brain training game did you...

Nintendo themselves were skeptical. It was the professor that was pushing the original title/principles to them.

They only become convinvced when they saw the results of scientific tests, that show that various exercises do strongly stimulate parts of the brain.

This is also detailed within the game itself (I own both, and have "clocked" the first).

Buy it for your mum, and give it a play yourself.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099