By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rant: Is Nintendo being honest with consumer?

finalsquall said:
From my perspective. Sure ppl will want to buy games (consoles) to assist their well being, but how does that differ from ppl that want to get fit and they buy infomerical excercise equipment then after a few weeks just sits in the garage until they finally sell the damn thing.

Ok I been there done that. Seems more mini games that come out to attract non gamers is going to be brought on emotion.

Is it just me, or is it possible, that Nintendo could follow the path of Atari, in making a lot of games so fast that thy become crap and could possibly hurt the gaming industry? (not a Flame, just an honest question)

Sadly Nintendo is now a toy and an old people's machine. no offense but if I buy one it will be for my little daughter. I'd rather the eye and singstar over the wii mini games.

I don't think I could possibly disagree with one post more than yours. 

-First of all it differs from infomercial crap because they are not selling it to you at 3 in the morning, you have to really want the Wii and go out and hunt one down.  Aside from that obvious difference its designed to be fun to use and with the fun aspect it is supposed to keep you interested. Thats vastly different from informercials for bowflex.

-No clue what your second paragraph was trying to say so I will skip to the third section...

-Its just you 

-Sadly, you are so out of touch you failed to realise that all of the consoles are just toys.  They are for entertaining yourself and others ..aka a toy.  As far as being an old people's machine, what do you have to base this on? I mean in one thread on this site somebody claims that the Wii is for kiddies and the next its for old people?? WTH?  By all accounts so far the Wii is being purchased by every demographic in increased proportions to any console prior to it. So yes go ahead and purchase a Wii for your daughter since its the machine only for old people and that would clearly make your daughter what? 60? Way to contradict yourself. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
finalsquall said:
From my perspective. Sure ppl will want to buy games (consoles) to assist their well being, but how does that differ from ppl that want to get fit and they buy infomerical excercise equipment then after a few weeks just sits in the garage until they finally sell the damn thing.

Ok I been there done that. Seems more mini games that come out to attract non gamers is going to be brought on emotion.

Is it just me, or is it possible, that Nintendo could follow the path of Atari, in making a lot of games so fast that thy become crap and could possibly hurt the gaming industry? (not a Flame, just an honest question)

Seems more like wishful thinking than a real possiblity. They've always emphasized quality or quantity. If you mean third parties, then I don't see how that's Nintendo's fault unless you want to slap blame on them for identifying a money making trend and others following suit.

The abundance of mini-non-games is no more disturbing than the flood of shooters this gen, to me. 

Current systems owned: Wii, 360. I'll get a PS3 when hell freezes over!... or when the price drops to a reasonable level. Whichever comes first.

I don't know, people say that Wii sports isn't exercise, but then you hear of people who have played it and then become sore, or even lose weight, so its quite possible that Wii fit will also do the same.

As for Brain Age, its not a cure all, but it does keep the brain active, which is good

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

finalsquall said:

Sadly Nintendo is now a toy and an old people's machine. no offense but if I buy one it will be for my little daughter. I'd rather the eye and singstar over the wii mini games.

Since when are video games not a toy? That's why we say PLAY video games because it IS a toy!

Edit: Someone already said it... Sorry me hasn't read the whole thread! O-o 

WiteoutKing said:
Darc Requiem said:
Wow what a complete waste of my time. I want a refund on my time after reading this post.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread. You are truly an inspiration to us all.

Mental exercises increase alertness and agility and prevent loss of such abilites, and Brain Age is a mental exercise pack. This shouldn't be that difficult.

I just call it like I see it. This thread topic is a complete joke and a waste of our time. Plain and simple. The premise behind thread was fabricated. If Nintendo actually did what they were accused of in the initial post it would have been a worthwhile topic, but they didn't. I stand by my initial post with the exception of the tense of waste that I used. It should have been waste not wasted.

Around the Network

Me thinks the DS will break the PS2 record with ease...

/waits for it to get big in India and China

Darc Requiem said:
WiteoutKing said:
Darc Requiem said:
Wow what a complete waste of my time. I want a refund on my time after reading this post.

Thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread. You are truly an inspiration to us all.

Mental exercises increase alertness and agility and prevent loss of such abilites, and Brain Age is a mental exercise pack. This shouldn't be that difficult.

I just call it like I see it. This thread topic is a complete joke and a waste of our time. Plain and simple. The premise behind thread was fabricated. If Nintendo actually did what they were accused of in the initial post it would have been a worthwhile topic, but they didn't. I stand by my initial post with the exception of the tense of waste that I used. It should have been waste not wasted.

Then don't post.  If it's a waste of time to read, then it's an even bigger waste of time to respond to.  Simple solution.

PS3: 5.51m/51w, avg 108,039/w (up 239)
360: 12.93m/102w, avg 126,764/w (up 625), leads PS3 by 7.42m (up 70k), avg lead 18,725/w (up 386)
Wii: 13.52m/51w, avg 265,098/w (dn 1,102), leads PS3 by 8.01m (up 90k), avg lead 157,059/w (dn 1,341)

If 360 sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass 360 by...
01/08: (008w) +875.8%, 04/08: (021w) +344.4%, 07/08: (034w) +219.3%, 10/08: (047w) +163.5%
01/09: (060w) +131.8%, 04/09: (073w) +111.4%, 07/09: (085w) +098.1%, 10/09: (099w) +086.7%
If Wii sales stabilize, PS3 sales increases needed to pass Wii by...
01/08: (008w) +1072.%, 04/08: (021w) +498.4%, 07/08: (034w) +363.4%, 10/08: (047w) +303.1%
01/09: (060w) +269.0%, 04/09: (073w) +246.9%, 07/09: (085w) +232.6%, 10/09: (099w) +220.3%
If PS2 sales freeze, Wii sales increases needed to pass PS2 (as of Mar07, 108.4m) by...
2008: (008w) +4373.8%, 2009: (060w) +0496.5%, 2010: (112w) +0219.6%, 2011: (165w) +0116.9%
2012: (217w) +0064.9%, 2013: (269w) +0033.1%, 2014: (321w) +0011.5%, 2015: (376w) -0004.8%
At +0% it will pass it in 358w, the week ending September 19th, 2014, at an age of 409w (7y44w).
Current age of PS2: 7y37w.

Last update: Week ending November 3, 2007

stof said:
Legend11 said:
Yeah sorry about the rant from earlier today, I guess if my mom has fun with the game that is all that matters and if it does indeed help people, it's a bonus. I'll be picking up a DS and Brain Age this week, possibly tonight :)

No prob Legend. But do me a favour. Whether or not you get Brain Age, get clubhouse games! THAT is a game your mom will love.

Infact as I type this, my mom is sitting beside me playing bowling. It comes with 42 card, table and other parlour games and it's one hundred percent parent addicting. I got it so my parents could try a game on my DS, within 2 weeks my mom suggested I get a second DS for dad on fathers day, so we could play games together (single card multi!) Now my dad playes solitaire and chinese checkers, and my mom loved grid attack, billiards and bowling. We also play games together all the time. Currently my mom's best friend and my older sister and her partner are now thinking of getting DS's just for that game.

Your mom will love it, and more importantly, you will actually enjoy playing it with her. Playing videogames with your mom? Now THAT is cool

Clubhouse games is nice overall, but two things killed the game for me:

1) The Texas Hold-em does not follow tournament (or even common house) rules. When playing online it doesn't give you enough options to play psychologically with - and psychology is a huge factor in poker.

2) I hated being forced to play one of the games (the one with the Japanese characters that's kind of like chess). After arriving at that stage I tried the game out, and haven't touched the game again. It's been about three months now.

omoneru said:
My gf's mother plays it too. Not sure about clinical results but she sure enjoys it.
It gives me some sense of satisfaction to see parents interested in gaming.
I don't expect her to be a gamer, but I'm happy to see her having fun.

And isn't that what it's all about?

If I recall correctly, Nintendo just said that Brain Age can help you be more alert and those things, but some of the news type programs talked about the possibility that it may be useable to fight Alzheimers, and that's where it came from.