By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How is a JRPG an RPG? The J man has to know.

jesus kung fu magic said:
Dgc1808 said:
JRPG's are japanese developed games that are mainly about following a certain story line as one or more characters. The gameplay is more focused on a strategic layout, although often action. There are often Certain battle limitations for keeping the game more strategic and lesson action based, such as a magic usage bar etc., Alot of the game is played with the use of many menu's. .... this is the best definition I can think of....

So how does it make it role playing

Damnit MAN I tried my BEST!! XD

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

The J man likes his jrpgs but doesnt see the role playing in them. The J man sees games like mass effect and fable as true rpgs because you can actually shape your character.All you do in JRPGs is just follow the story and level up thats it its like a action adventure in the J mans opinion

I love this guy! That is a very good question though, one many of us never really thought about. I think most people are going to get defensive about it though. I do agree that in WRPG's there is more role playing than since they aren't too linear.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

JRPGs use the same close sense of perspective that other kinds of RPGs -tabletop, WRPG, and otherwise- do. Almost every game involves the user controlling an onscreen character of some kind, but RPGs of all stripes pay particular attention to putting the gamer into the onscreen character's shoes: in particular, trying to make the player feel what the character feels.

The major twist that JRPGs put on this particular theme is that the character isn't created by the player. This doesn't make it any less a matter of role-playing than, for example, a tabletop RPG using pregenerated characters. Some game designers, such as Sakaguchi and especially Nomura, have done some interesting experiments. with manipulating the player's emotions using this technique; witness Kingdom Hearts for a strong example.

So I turn your question back on you: how does this make it not role-playing?

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:

JRPGs use the same close sense of perspective that other kinds of RPGs -tabletop, WRPG, and otherwise- do. Almost every game involves the user controlling an onscreen character of some kind, but RPGs of all stripes pay particular attention to putting the gamer into the onscreen character's shoes: in particular, trying to make the player feel what the character feels.

The major twist that JRPGs put on this particular theme is that the character isn't created by the player. This doesn't make it any less a matter of role-playing than, for example, a tabletop RPG using pregenerated characters. Some game designers, such as Sakaguchi and especially Nomura, have done some interesting experiments. with manipulating the player's emotions using this technique; witness Kingdom Hearts for a strong example.

Does that have anything to do with Sakaguchi making Lost Odyssey(and Cry On) make players cry at certain scenes in the game?  If yes, I know what you are talking about.

Millennium said:

But according to your logic any action/ adventure game with a good story can be an rpg .To feel the emotions of the character is because of a good story and how its told not because its a JRPG. The J man doesnt consider JRPG as role playing because you dont play the role you want and your role in the game is always dictated by the game. It goes much more than the character being created its choosing your own path that makes it role playing. Although the J man likes his JRPGS , he feels that he is riding on rails when going through the quests , that he has no control over what the character says or does.Its like the game is telling the J man " do what we want or shut up" and the J man wont stand for that. Thats why the J man does not consider jrpgs role playing games

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Around the Network

I'm not familiar with those particular games, but they do sound like an example of emotional manipulation, yes.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:

But according to your logic any action/ adventure game with a good story can be an rpg. The J man doesnt consider JRPG as role playing because you dont play the role you want it is always dictated by the game. It goes much more than the character being created its choosing your own path that makes it role playing. Although the J man likes his JRPGS , he feels that he is riding on rails when going through the quests , that he has no control over what the character says or does.Its like the game is telling the J man " do what we want or shut up" and the J man wont stand for that. Thats why the J man does not consider jrpgs role playing games

Not every RPG has a good story.  Same thing for action/adventure games.  Same thing for games in general.

JRPGS aren't RPGs. They are Turn Based Strategy games.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

so is fallout 3 an RPG?

Millennium said:

But according to your logic any action/ adventure game with a good story can be an rpg .To feel the emotions of the character is because of a good story and how its told not because its a JRPG. The J man doesnt consider JRPG as role playing because you dont play the role you want and your role in the game is always dictated by the game. It goes much more than the character being created its choosing your own path that makes it role playing. Although the J man likes his JRPGS , he feels that he is riding on rails when going through the quests , that he has no control over what the character says or does.Its like the game is telling the J man " do what we want or shut up" and the J man wont stand for that. Thats why the J man does not consider jrpgs role playing games

Well, that's an requirement for most games and RPGs have some specific things that, well, make them RPGs. Jumping through levels make the game a platformers. Does that mean FF X-2 is a platformer? NO!

JRPGs just have a focus on story, building up and improving your character(s) as you play the role you're given. However, games like White Knight are different because you create your character.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.