By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How is a JRPG an RPG? The J man has to know.

vlad321 said:
JRPGS aren't RPGs. They are Turn Based Strategy games.

Turn based strategy games with the "strategy" component removed. :P

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
Millennium said:

JRPGs use the same close sense of perspective that other kinds of RPGs -tabletop, WRPG, and otherwise- do. Almost every game involves the user controlling an onscreen character of some kind, but RPGs of all stripes pay particular attention to putting the gamer into the onscreen character's shoes: in particular, trying to make the player feel what the character feels.

The major twist that JRPGs put on this particular theme is that the character isn't created by the player. This doesn't make it any less a matter of role-playing than, for example, a tabletop RPG using pregenerated characters. Some game designers, such as Sakaguchi and especially Nomura, have done some interesting experiments. with manipulating the player's emotions using this technique; witness Kingdom Hearts for a strong example.

So I turn your question back on you: how does this make it not role-playing?

But according to your logic any action/ adventure game with a good story can be an rpg .To feel the emotions of the character is because of a good story and how its told not because its a JRPG. The J man doesnt consider JRPG as role playing because you dont play the role you want and your role in the game is always dictated by the game. It goes much more than the character being created its choosing your own path that makes it role playing. Although the J man likes his JRPGS , he feels that he is riding on rails when going through the quests , that he has no control over what the character says or does.Its like the game is telling the J man " do what we want or shut up" and the J man wont stand for that. Thats why the J man does not consider jrpgs role playing games

Well, that's an requirement for most games and RPGs have some specific things that, well, make them RPGs. Jumping through levels make the game a platformers. Does that mean FF X-2 is a platformer? NO!

JRPGs just have a focus on story, building up and improving your character(s) as you play the role you're given. However, games like White Knight are different because you create your character.

No games that have a great story do those things. Building up and improving your character has absolutly no effect in that world all it does is make the game easier. If THE J MAN beat a jrpg at level 1 or level 100 the world would still be in the same state and my character would have developed the same as well.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Garcian Smith said:
vlad321 said:
JRPGS aren't RPGs. They are Turn Based Strategy games.

Turn based strategy games with the "strategy" component removed. :P

I didn't say it folks, he did. I was gonna say it but thought people would never stop bitching and defending their fairy tale books. errr.... games.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

The J man likes his jrpgs but doesnt see the role playing in them. The J man sees games like mass effect and fable as true rpgs because you can actually shape your character.All you do in JRPGs is just follow the story and level up thats it its like a action adventure in the J mans opinion

As much as I love JRPGs, hes right. JRPGs are essentially games based off their system of play, as in Action Adventure, or Strategy. In very few instances do you really mold your character aas well as you can in Fable or Mass Effect.

If we took the meaning literally, Role Playing Game, then Halo would classify as an RPG.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

outlawauron said:
Millennium said:

JRPGs use the same close sense of perspective that other kinds of RPGs -tabletop, WRPG, and otherwise- do. Almost every game involves the user controlling an onscreen character of some kind, but RPGs of all stripes pay particular attention to putting the gamer into the onscreen character's shoes: in particular, trying to make the player feel what the character feels.

The major twist that JRPGs put on this particular theme is that the character isn't created by the player. This doesn't make it any less a matter of role-playing than, for example, a tabletop RPG using pregenerated characters. Some game designers, such as Sakaguchi and especially Nomura, have done some interesting experiments. with manipulating the player's emotions using this technique; witness Kingdom Hearts for a strong example.

So I turn your question back on you: how does this make it not role-playing?

But according to your logic any action/ adventure game with a good story can be an rpg .To feel the emotions of the character is because of a good story and how its told not because its a JRPG. The J man doesnt consider JRPG as role playing because you dont play the role you want and your role in the game is always dictated by the game. It goes much more than the character being created its choosing your own path that makes it role playing. Although the J man likes his JRPGS , he feels that he is riding on rails when going through the quests , that he has no control over what the character says or does.Its like the game is telling the J man " do what we want or shut up" and the J man wont stand for that. Thats why the J man does not consider jrpgs role playing games

Well, that's an requirement for most games and RPGs have some specific things that, well, make them RPGs. Jumping through levels make the game a platformers. Does that mean FF X-2 is a platformer? NO!

JRPGs just have a focus on story, building up and improving your character(s) as you play the role you're given. However, games like White Knight are different because you create your character.

No games that have a great story do those things. Building up and improving your character has absolutly no effect in that world all it does is make the game easier. If I beat a jrpg at level 1 or level 100 the world would still be in the same state and my character would have developed the same as well.

Disagree! How are there JRPGs with different endings? If you can have different outcomes, you obviously can real effect upon the world you're in.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

The biggest reason that I don't see most JRPGs as RPGs is the way people learn skills. I haven't see too many JRPGs where you can pick a skill tree, or having to go down one tree to get an uber spell. Just level up and lo and behold a skill!

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

MrBubbles said:

a jrpg is a rpg because you are playing a role

Well then by that logic most games are RPG's. I played as Soap McTavish in Call of Duty 4. Therefore CoD4 is an RPG.

Care to explain your statement a little clearer?

outlawauron said:

Disagree! How are there JRPGs with different endings? If you can have different outcomes, you obviously can real effect upon the world you're in.

The different endings in JRPGs are usually dependent upon something completely arbitrary - completing the game more than once, getting a few special (but unrelated to the story) items, exploring the world 100%, or whatever. They aren't dependent upon any player involvement in the story, since there is no player involvement in the story of most JRPGs.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

No games that have a great story do those things. Building up and improving your character has absolutly no effect in that world all it does is make the game easier. If I beat a jrpg at level 1 or level 100 the world would still be in the same state and my character would have developed the same as well.

Tsk tsk.  The J Man has stepped out of character.

Words Of Wisdom said:

Tsk tsk.  The J Man has stepped out of character.

I was about to point that out too when I decided it's not worth a post. Good eye.