By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How is a JRPG an RPG? The J man has to know.

Some of the older JRPGs had a major focus on jobs or classes. By choosing the job (=playing that role) you defined the capabilities of your character.

Most newer JRPGs don't have that anymore and I agree that the term is stupid, cause it could be said about almost all games that you play a role.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
Some of the older JRPGs had a major focus on jobs or classes. By choosing the job (=playing that role) you defined the capabilities of your character.

Most newer JRPGs don't have that anymore and I agree that the term is stupid, cause it could be said about almost all games that you play a role.

BLACK MAGE!!!!!!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

i sort of reject all the monikers that come with rpg`s

eg. A, S, W, J

there all rpg really just different types.

western style rpg`s are the most popular and have mass buy up, japaneese stlyle are more niche with starategy types even more niche

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

jesus kung fu magic said:
Millennium said:

JRPGs use the same close sense of perspective that other kinds of RPGs -tabletop, WRPG, and otherwise- do. Almost every game involves the user controlling an onscreen character of some kind, but RPGs of all stripes pay particular attention to putting the gamer into the onscreen character's shoes: in particular, trying to make the player feel what the character feels.

The major twist that JRPGs put on this particular theme is that the character isn't created by the player. This doesn't make it any less a matter of role-playing than, for example, a tabletop RPG using pregenerated characters. Some game designers, such as Sakaguchi and especially Nomura, have done some interesting experiments. with manipulating the player's emotions using this technique; witness Kingdom Hearts for a strong example.

So I turn your question back on you: how does this make it not role-playing?

But according to your logic any action/ adventure game with a good story can be an rpg .To feel the emotions of the character is because of a good story and how its told not because its a JRPG. The J man doesnt consider JRPG as role playing because you dont play the role you want and your role in the game is always dictated by the game. It goes much more than the character being created its choosing your own path that makes it role playing. Although the J man likes his JRPGS , he feels that he is riding on rails when going through the quests , that he has no control over what the character says or does.Its like the game is telling the J man " do what we want or shut up" and the J man wont stand for that. Thats why the J man does not consider jrpgs role playing games

The thing is, just having a good story doesn't make an RPG. The Metal Gear Solid franchise, for example, is famous for having good stories, yet no one calls it an RPG series, in part because it's difficult to feel for the characters. Similarly, there are plenty of RPGs, even among those considered classics, with paper-thin stories. Consider the first Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games for examples of that: you'd have a hard time arguing that these are not RPGs, yet the stories are as deep as the paper the manuals are printed on. They're glorified sandboxes, essentially, with no story other than what the player writes.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Because if it weren't for JRPGs (God I hate the fact that tossing a J in there is the norm now), there'd be no other RPGs.

(The ones we now call JRPGs were the original genre....why it has to be changed by adding a J is beyond me...it's like saying Native American. They're the original Americans, but now since everyone moved to the US, they have to have "Native" on it. /rant over lol)

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

Because if it weren't for JRPGs (God I hate the fact that tossing a J in there is the norm now), there'd be no other RPGs.

(The ones we now call JRPGs were the original genre....why it has to be changed by adding a J is beyond me...it's like saying Native American. They're the original Americans, but now since everyone moved to the US, they have to have "Native" on it. /rant over lol)

How about because table-top games were the "original" RPGs?

Really? Didn't know that

vlad321 said:
JRPGS aren't RPGs. They are Turn Based Strategy games.

The majority of them are not turn-based anymore. Also jRPGs don´t need skill trees because a) have a ability/spell board that you further and further unlock depending on the battle points gained or b) don´t have anything at all because the characters have a preset one-way class.

Anyway, jRPGs are RPGs because their japanese makers say so, their japanese audience has always been accepting them as such and the gaming industry never denied classifying them as RPGs. Also, they didn´t invent tabletop RPGs, have a minimal knowledge about these, their first RPG prototype was Ultima (hardly an ideal pure RPG) and finally because they have other values and lifestyle than Westerners their RPG definition is consequently far different from the original one.

Well neither JRPGs or WRPGs are RPGs per say imo...

I think they are referred to that way because it`s the genre in gaming that most resembles those table-top RPGs. But neither one or the other are actually RPGs because you are always restrained to do only the things that the game allows you to do, as oposed to a real RPG where you can do anything you want...

JRPGs may not be real RPGs but that doesn`t stop me from liking them way more than WRPGs.

Hey, I just thought of something. If JRPGs are not real RPGs than should we call them just "Js"?

Quem disse que a boca é tua?

Qual é, Dadinho...?

Dadinho é o caralho! Meu nome agora é Zé Pequeno!

BMaker11 said:

Um, no.

Even if one were to believe that tabletop RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons weren't the direct inspiration for JRPGs, Western computer RPGs like Rogue (1980), Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981), Akalabeth (1980), and Ultima (1981) predate by far Final Fantasy (1987) and Dragon Quest (1986). The West was making electronic RPGs years before Japan.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom