By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can the ps3 ever pass the wii in hardware sales?

@markers

Some kind advice wide generalizations do not help one in debates. They can be picked apart like a dessicated carcass on the side of the information super highway. The kill cannot be defended.

First Japan is no more a friend to Sony then it is to Microsoft. They both enjoy abysmal sales, and as others have pointed out so often. Japan is very much a one console market. Even then it is also a very small market accounting for less then twenty percent of the world market. The market just is not as relevant as many posters believe.

Second nobody agrees on what will happen in the high definition war. A great many myself included suspect that if the Arcade is announced to be two hundred dollars next month that the trends of the past few months will have a complete reversal. I would even say Microsoft will probably have issues meeting demand. There is a sizable number of consumers in North America that refuse to pay more then two hundred dollars for a console. They are usually just content to wait till their price point happens to be met.

Anyway do not tell everyone what they think, and do not tell us that eighteen percent of the market could dictate the war. That is just patently silly to win with Japan. You must also have at least Europe to compensate for the North American market. Which happens to be Microsoft's predominant market.

Around the Network

Short Answer: Nooo.

Long Answer: HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL NO.

Politically Correct Answer: I respect your opinion good sire, but I must say with the utmost courtesy, that you are utterly batshit insane.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

forevercloud3000 said:
I stand by the belief that the Wii is a fad(still does not change the fact it is very successful). I think the Wii will cap somewhere around 50million sold by say, 2011. I believe at that point the other two systems will be much closer to it's price, if not exact or cheaper. The Wii has already begun to loose steam as I have seen quite a few ppl come back to Gamestop displeased with the current market leader. We actually got a Wii BACK for the second time since it's release. The 360's sales have already begun to settle. They are capping in just it's 3rd yr. With the 360's small boosts here and there with MS's famous marketing I say they will reach 40million.

That only leaves PS3. I believe the PS3 will have passed 360 sales but not Wii in 2011. Maybe at the 45million range. At this point in time though BluRay will be the norm and sales will sky rocket. Alongside hit titles and sequels, the PS3 can pass Wii in just the following yr.

Either a great joke post or you're stuck in 2006 with a Wii Bingo card.

50 million Wiis by 2011?  There'll be more sold than that before this time next year!

No, it wont.

Brawl FC: 4382-1668-1880
Name:Brsch

Animal Crossing City Folk

FC: 2492-8227-9090           Town: McAwesom          Name: Gary

Add me and send me a PM with your FC!

It's possible, but I can't see it happening. The Wii is pulling further ahead every week and by a considerable amount. Nintendo are also in the best position to offer a price drop, while Sony are in the worst position.

Around the Network

im thinking no

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

"Can it?" and "Will it?" are two different questions.

In magic land where a PS3 doesn't cost anything to make and Sony wants to give every one a Pony and market share is the largest concern... yes, it will happen.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Nope wont' and can't happen. It's not about the machine really. It's about the job of the machine. Yes a lower price point will increase sales. The difference is that the Wii/Nintendo has added new values to the gaming industry. Ones that Sony doesn't spend much effort on getting.

It's really simple. If 10% of the world are hardcore gamers and 60% of the rest of the world were gamers of the non hardcore style(pogo, "casual"...) it still comes to reason that the 60% won't just suddently uptake the PS3. Simple PS3 games and interface style don't apeal to them. People who play Bejeweled or Boom Blox alot are not DMC, GTA, FF, MGS players.

Since the Wii supports both types of games the Wii is the more viable console for that 60% and some of the 10% that get both or want new experiences. So it's not a matter of price point anymore it's matter of values.

To address a matter. the PS3 cannot return to glory. The PS3 never had glory. What your hoping for from others is a justification of teenage game focused company will once again become the dominent because they pay attention to you. Keep in mind that there are far more movies out there than Hellboy, Friday 13, Riddick... there are lot's of Dramas, situational, cop, comedy, adventure, romance....

Imagine the movie industry making just Hellboy and some such movies. Sooner or later it's going to get boring. They could only make bigger meaner Helboy/Batmand like movies. Would the movie industry be as big. No, it would only appeal to 10% of it's current market :)

So I reitterate No. Sony will not be the market dominent this generation. If Sony were to wake up and see the new values maybe they will make in roads into the broader market rather than the always has been but, spotlight niche group.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Nintendo has already won this Gen(s) Console & Han-held market. Please, PSP (Its a great system) supporters dont hate, I am just stating the obvious. Sony needs to worry about catching the 360 first. Always focus on the runner directly ahead of you.

Once the negative Wii sales start, it's possible.