By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can the ps3 ever pass the wii in hardware sales?

In order for the PS3 to ever catch up, it'll have to tap into the mainstream (casual) market. I don't see this happening because a large part of the casual market has already chosen a console (Wii) and has little desire to own more than one console. I could be wrong, of course.

Around the Network
amp316 said:
Sure. In your dreams. You're sleeping. Right?

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and buy ps3's: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all consoles werent created equal."

lol im goin to hell

Xbox is gonna be $199 probably by September. Sony is already taking financial hits per PS3 sold at $400. I don't think it'll ever drop to $200.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

markers said:

i know this sounds crazy as hell but listen before bashing the crap out of me...

if (and this is a huge if that must likely wont happen for a while) the ps3 price drops to say... $199 and/or (depends if they still have the 2 sku thing going) $299 in 2 years (again this is highly unlikely but then again suprises come and go), can it then see a tremendous boost of sales enough to surpass the wii and gain its former glory?

for those who need a example of what the skus would be...

$199 model would be like 80gb with no bc and no wifi

$299 model 120gb bc and wifi

in my belief....yes i think it can, but only if it happens in the next 2-3 years. reasoning, if you add the quality of games, blu-ray, and BC then its the clear winner. and also i do believe the wii sales will start declining within the next 2-3 years.

PS3 at 199=3 to 4 years financially. Any sooner and its suicide.

PS3 at 299=1 to 2 years financially. Will still result in huge profit losses as far as parts and labor is concerned.

Blu Ray hasn't won anything but the HD war.

I stand by the belief that the Wii is a fad(still does not change the fact it is very successful). I think the Wii will cap somewhere around 50million sold by say, 2011. I believe at that point the other two systems will be much closer to it's price, if not exact or cheaper. The Wii has already begun to loose steam as I have seen quite a few ppl come back to Gamestop displeased with the current market leader. We actually got a Wii BACK for the second time since it's release. The 360's sales have already begun to settle. They are capping in just it's 3rd yr. With the 360's small boosts here and there with MS's famous marketing I say they will reach 40million.

That only leaves PS3. I believe the PS3 will have passed 360 sales but not Wii in 2011. Maybe at the 45million range. At this point in time though BluRay will be the norm and sales will sky rocket. Alongside hit titles and sequels, the PS3 can pass Wii in just the following yr.

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

Around the Network

Why not? I think it has the ability."Anything is possible"

Example:

October 12,2006
Do you think the Wii will beat the ps3 and 360?
Nope are you on crack?

Guess what that person was wrong...

It's possible but not probable.

The question isn't if the PS3 will ever pass the Wii in hardware sales but if it will ever pass the 360 in hardware sales. They are over 5 million consoles behind them still. The Wii is one of the fastest selling consoles ever. Do expect it to stop selling all together? That's what it would take.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Obliterator1700 said:
Why not? I think it has the ability."Anything is possible"

Example:

October 12,2006
Do you think the Wii will beat the ps3 and 360?
Nope are you on crack?

Guess what that person was wrong...

It's not a miracle the Wii is successful though, it appeals to the casual audience and ''soccer moms.'' Try telling them they should buy a PS3 for ''Hail to the Chimp'' or something? Not going to happen! o_O

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

S.T.A.G.E. said:
markers said:

i know this sounds crazy as hell but listen before bashing the crap out of me...

if (and this is a huge if that must likely wont happen for a while) the ps3 price drops to say... $199 and/or (depends if they still have the 2 sku thing going) $299 in 2 years (again this is highly unlikely but then again suprises come and go), can it then see a tremendous boost of sales enough to surpass the wii and gain its former glory?

for those who need a example of what the skus would be...

$199 model would be like 80gb with no bc and no wifi

$299 model 120gb bc and wifi

in my belief....yes i think it can, but only if it happens in the next 2-3 years. reasoning, if you add the quality of games, blu-ray, and BC then its the clear winner. and also i do believe the wii sales will start declining within the next 2-3 years.

PS3 at 199=3 to 4 years financially. Any sooner and its suicide.

PS3 at 299=1 to 2 years financially. Will still result in huge profit losses as far as parts and labor is concerned.

Blu Ray hasn't won anything but the HD war.

in the next year or 2 sony will be most likely profiting on their hardware, be then again i could most likely be wrong. with that said in the next 2-3 years it would be plausible that they can drop it to atleast $299, even if they still take a loss per console sold they proven that the software is profitable.