By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can the ps3 ever pass the wii in hardware sales?

i know this sounds crazy as hell but listen before bashing the crap out of me...

if (and this is a huge if that must likely wont happen for a while) the ps3 price drops to say... $199 and/or (depends if they still have the 2 sku thing going) $299 in 2 years (again this is highly unlikely but then again suprises come and go), can it then see a tremendous boost of sales enough to surpass the wii and gain its former glory?

for those who need a example of what the skus would be...

$199 model would be like 80gb with no bc and no wifi

$299 model 120gb bc and wifi

in my belief....yes i think it can, but only if it happens in the next 2-3 years. reasoning, if you add the quality of games, blu-ray, and BC then its the clear winner. and also i do believe the wii sales will start declining within the next 2-3 years.

Around the Network

Why at the 199$ price point (VS whatever the price of the Wii at that time) people would take a PS3 instead of a Wii or Xbox360?

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Sure. In your dreams. You're sleeping. Right?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

While sony could make a price drop, so can Nintendo. Also while the PS3 has many games that target core audiences( and its arguable that there are more than the wii), it doesn't target the other demographics that the Wii does. Also by the time this does happen the ps3 would still have to catch up with the Wii, and we don't know how well the Wii woudl sell by then. So I don't think there is much of a chance unless Wii sales make a dramatic decrease, and PS3 sales make a dramatic Increase.

I doubt it will ever happen. Ever.

Around the Network

its possible, lower production costs, ps3 slim, take away some unimportant features, price - 199. but it has to happen soon!

Stop smoking crack.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Godot said:
Why at the 199$ price point (VS whatever the price of the Wii at that time) people would take a PS3 instead of a Wii or Xbox360?

i choose the $199 price point because thats the sweet spot, not to high but not to low. sure the xbox will probably be around the same price point by then, and the wii $150 if not $99. but i believe japan/europe would carry the ps3 because well they kinda have a good history.

misteromar mk4 said:
Stop smoking crack.

lol ive tried its hard though :P

Still dreaming huh?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger