By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Quantity of games per year and per system with exclusives as well (according to Wikipedia)

Which was your favorite time period for gaming ?

5th generation (1993 - 2000) 9 25.71%

6th generation (2000 - 2006) 9 25.71%

7th generation (2006 - 2013) 7 20.00%

8th generation (2013 - 2020) 5 14.29%

9th generation (2020 - now) 5 14.29%

Total:35

I'm sure we get more small games now that all kind of games combined 10 or more years ago.
Maybe it's about console physical releases? With digital media surpassing physical some years ago it doesn't sound surprising.

Around the Network

The original post was edited, with new chart added, with numbers of games per system.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

XtremeBG said:

This was a really cool graph. Thanks for creating this.

Never thought the GBA got so many more games released compared to the Gameboy (and Gameboy color?) around 50% more titles while being on the market for around half the time of the Gameboy. Vita got a lot more than I thought as well, beating the much more successful Wii and GBA. 

Last edited by Pajderman - 6 days ago

Pajderman said:

Never thought the GBA got so many more games released compared to the game boy (and gameboy color?) around 50% more titles while being on the market for around half the time of the Gameboy. Vita got a lot more than I thought as well, beating the much more successful Wii and GBA. 

Yes this is with the Gameboy colour only games included, they were around 150 according to Wikipedia. I am not sure if digital titles are included but looking at the number of games for Switch for example, digital should be included.

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

I thought Nintendo Switch would cuase a spike, it's mighty hard to navigate through all the games that come to that system. Ps1 adn two being more than PS4 is also wild, never would have thought. 

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:

I thought Nintendo Switch would cuase a spike, it's mighty hard to navigate through all the games that come to that system. Ps1 adn two being more than PS4 is also wild, never would have thought. 

I felt like PS3 had more games than PS4, but it's maybe because I like more single player games, and those that can be played on couch co-op, and in the PS4 era, there were many more multiplayer only titles than the PS3 one, and a lot more multiplayer oriented ones, that had some small singleplayer part in them, and were 80% online. Back in PS3 days, the default for every game was the singleplayer it was almost always there, and the multiplayer was not available in all games, and in those that was, it was fun and it was interesting, like extra content to the game, not the main thing to do. The orientation for the micro transactions was also in the PS4 era more which to me it changed the way they began developing the multiplayer portion of the games.

New chart with the exclusive games for each system has been added to the original post.

Whoah. That's wild, PS4 had so little exclusives and yet it felt as if they were on par with ps2.

This is why I don't bother with Xbox. Compared to Sony and Nintendo they have practically zero exclusives. Buying an Xbox when you already have a PS5 adds a handful of games to your library. Buying a PS5 when you already have an Xbox adds 21 PS5 games (10 of which are fantastic) and countless PS4 games.

Also I would like to request that you add 4th and 3rd gen to the charts. If you need help let me know and I can make some lists.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - 6 days ago

While the metacritic makes for a cool graphic and gives us a general idea it's far from accurate, it remains acrurate up until a certain point from what I can find around the PS3/360 there must be digital games that aren't being counted.

Over 10,000 games were released for ps4. 171,000 people from 8,000 developers.
https://www.mobygames.com/platform/playstation-4/ 6,000 more than PS2 seemingly accurate figure

Nintendo Switch has near 11,500 games.
https://www.mobygames.com/platform/switch/

2,700 so far on ps5.
https://www.mobygames.com/platform/playstation-5/

While Xbox SXS figures are difficult to find.