By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

With the facts now that there won't be price cut soon for the PS5, and even the price going up more than expected, for both XBOX and Playstation, and with having no major competition for the next 2-3 years close to a price point of 300$ I am now more inclined to believe the Switch may very well reach 160M and pass it. With those high prices from both Microsoft and Sony (new SKUs of their consoles releases not at the same price and pricecut of the old ones, but instead maintaining the old ones at the same price and launching the new ones at very high prices) I am also inclined to believe the Switch 2 will launch at least at 400$ if not more, both cases of which will result in still decent sales for the Switch 1. This was the last thing that could prevent the Switch from reaching and passing 160M (or at least make it harder) in my opinion,

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Around the Network
Ashadelo said:

$700
No stand.
No Disc Drive.
No Games.
No Extra controller.
No shame.

No console generation.

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

This just in! Sony increased the price of PS5 Pro to 750 bucks before launching blaming inflations. Rumor is next week it will be 950 dollars and your firstborn child to be sacrificed. :P

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

It's telling that several games they used to show off the PS5 Pro are PS4 games, both in terms of diminishing graphical returns and the dearth of current gen showcases even 4 years into the generation.

Software lineup has been awful this generation, especially with Naughty. 

But I think diminishing returns is a console problem.  Lighting, particles, volumetric and fps huge jumps are there but consoles are focus on resolution and not effects.  I think 1440p is the sweet spot, but honestly 1080p + effects looks amazing.  Sony needs to drop resolution as a focal point.  Resolution is diminishing returns.  

Edit

I've said many times before and people might tired of hearing it.  But on my 55 inch OLED, I can't tell the difference between 1440p and 4k.  I can't.  Take 1440p and add DLSS...  there just isn't a difference.  There is a reason 1440p monitors are super popular in the PC world.  It feels like PC gamers figured out a long time ago 4k is a waste of resources, unless someone has a 85+ inch screen.  

Looking at that Sony's presentation about the PS5 Pro, I could not even tell the difference when they put the images side by side. Must be my ageing eyes or because I was looking at it on a smaller laptop screen. I am certainly not convinced the improvements will be noticeable.

Tober said:

Looking at that Sony's presentation about the PS5 Pro, I could not even tell the difference when they put the images side by side. Must be my ageing eyes or because I was looking at it on a smaller laptop screen. I am certainly not convinced the improvements will be noticeable.

I saw them .. at least on the spider man shot, nowhere else. On the spider man shot the leafs on the tree were with a little bit higher res. But this can be noticed only when zoom in and look it side by side. The leafs on the normal PS5 still looks good. Everything else was the same. And even that difference was like 10%. I mean the PS5 leafs were like 90% of the leafs of the Pro.

Around the Network
Tober said:
Chrkeller said:

Software lineup has been awful this generation, especially with Naughty. 

But I think diminishing returns is a console problem.  Lighting, particles, volumetric and fps huge jumps are there but consoles are focus on resolution and not effects.  I think 1440p is the sweet spot, but honestly 1080p + effects looks amazing.  Sony needs to drop resolution as a focal point.  Resolution is diminishing returns.  

Edit

I've said many times before and people might tired of hearing it.  But on my 55 inch OLED, I can't tell the difference between 1440p and 4k.  I can't.  Take 1440p and add DLSS...  there just isn't a difference.  There is a reason 1440p monitors are super popular in the PC world.  It feels like PC gamers figured out a long time ago 4k is a waste of resources, unless someone has a 85+ inch screen.  

Just my opinion but panel quality is limiting more than hardware.

4k needs 80 inch screen

Lighting needs OLED

120 fps needs a 120 hz panel 

Anyone gaming on a 40 inch 60 hz LCD will not see a difference.  Just my opinion.  

To be clear I'm not suggesting everyone needs high end panels.  My point is expensive gpu is made worse because it really needs an expensive panel.  The total investment is crazy expensive.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

JackHandy said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

What was once an affordable plug and play solution compared to PC gaming is quickly becoming an ultra luxury hobby for many.

Yup. Bought the Gamecube at launch. Thing was $199.99. lol

Yeah, and solid gaming PCs were around $1000...now, consoles are hitting $700, while solid gaming PCs are still around $1000.

HoloDust said:
JackHandy said:

Yup. Bought the Gamecube at launch. Thing was $199.99. lol

Yeah, and solid gaming PCs were around $1000...now, consoles are hitting $700, while solid gaming PCs are still around $1000.

and PC has free online...  that $300 gap will close up so very quickly when paying for PSN+. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

The value proposition of the console will definitely improve in time, but that showing was just so pointless. Naturally Sonys 1st party games are well optimised, its stuff like Wu Kong or Star Wars where they could really show big differences to quality

For the price of a PS5 Pro you could also get:

- A PS5 with a disc drive and a Switch Lite
- An Xbox Series X and a Switch Lite
- A Switch, an Xbox Series S, and $100 to spend on games
- A Steam Deck and an Xbox Series S
- 10 full price AAA games

Again, I get that I'm not the target audience here, but still, $700 for a console is just insane to me