By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch 2 finally be powerful enough and popular enough to get Nintendo all the top games?

Pemalite said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm more than happy for you to drop the derailment you started.  Power matters for ports.  Memory bandwidth is the switch 2's biggest bottleneck with ease, hence it flatly 100% matters in this discussion.  

But glad to hear you are dropping it. 

Nothing is being derailed, stop with that blatant lie.
The thread is about whether the Switch 2 will be powerful enough to garner ports.

Again, I have already outlined prior why the Switch 2's lower memory bandwidth will be irrelevant to garner ports.

But even if we excuse that potential scenario... We do NOT know what the Switch 2.0's memory bandwidth or hardware capabilities even are, so to blatantly assert it's going to be inferior in any aspect is thus redundant.
The correct answer is... "We don't know".

The fact that 3rd parties supported the original Switch console with a measly 25GB/s of memory bandwidth verses the Playstation 4's 176GB/s or the Xbox One X 325GB/s of bandwidth, it did really well all things considered.

Because again... And I keep repeating this, there is more to hardware than just the black and white numbers you cling to.

Based on numerous leaks the absolute maximum memory bandwidth is 112 gb/s which is a bottleneck.  And it will make porting Black Myth, GTA6, Snake Eater and Avowed difficult and time consuming.  

No worries if you disagree.  But it is a derailment because nobody wants to see us go back and forth on every page.

My logic is sound, logical and on topic.  You can be mad all day,  but I'm not wrong.  Sadly you know it.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Pemalite said:

Nothing is being derailed, stop with that blatant lie.
The thread is about whether the Switch 2 will be powerful enough to garner ports.

Again, I have already outlined prior why the Switch 2's lower memory bandwidth will be irrelevant to garner ports.

But even if we excuse that potential scenario... We do NOT know what the Switch 2.0's memory bandwidth or hardware capabilities even are, so to blatantly assert it's going to be inferior in any aspect is thus redundant.
The correct answer is... "We don't know".

The fact that 3rd parties supported the original Switch console with a measly 25GB/s of memory bandwidth verses the Playstation 4's 176GB/s or the Xbox One X 325GB/s of bandwidth, it did really well all things considered.

Because again... And I keep repeating this, there is more to hardware than just the black and white numbers you cling to.

Based on numerous leaks the absolute maximum memory bandwidth is 112 gb/s which is a bottleneck.  And it will make porting Black Myth, GTA6, Snake Eater and Avowed difficult and time consuming.  

Bo worries if you disagree.  But it is a derailment because nobody wants to see us go back and forth on every page.

My logic is sound, logical and on topic.  You can be made all day, but I'm not wrong.  Sadly you know it.  

There are ways around this bottleneck though; it's not a hard limit.

Switch has only 1/7th the bandwidth of PS4 yet it still got solid ports of stuff like Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Kingdom Come Deliverance, etc.

Settings can be dialled down to accommodate it and ports can still be possible. They may not look as good as the PS5 version, but the Nintendo audience don't care, they already bought the hardware knowing that the price of portability was lower graphical fidelity.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Bo worries if you disagree.  But it is a derailment because nobody wants to see us go back and forth on every page.

My logic is sound, logical and on topic.  You can be made all day, but I'm not wrong.  Sadly you know it.  

Switch has only 1/7th the bandwidth of PS4 yet it still got solid ports of stuff like Witcher 3, Doom Eternal, Kingdom Come Deliverance, etc.

Settings can be dialled down to accommodate it and ports can still be possible. They may not look as good as the PS5 version, but the Nintendo audience don't care, they already bought the hardware knowing that the price of portability was lower graphical fidelity.

The switch missed out on more games than it received.  However I do think the S2 is in a better situation and will likely get more support given the gap is going to be smaller.  

I've never said the memory bandwidth is a deal breaker and ports can't happen.  

My point is it will be up to third party developers from a time and money perspective to accommodate the memory bandwidth issue.  

Hence I think AAA third party on the S2 will be better, but some (lazy) developers won't put in the effort.  But hopefully this is where Nintendo's porting studio steps in.  

The only concern. I have is future games.  Bear in mind the S2 is likely to be around for 6 to 8 years.  Once pro models start hitting the console world and GPU 5000 series are released.  Will the S2 get ports say 5 years from now?  Time will tell.  But for the next few years the S2 is in a good position. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

The switch missed out on more games than it received.  However I do think the S2 is in a better situation and will likely get more support given the gap is going to be smaller.  

My point is it will be up to third party developers from a time and money perspective to accommodate the memory bandwidth issue.  

Hence I think AAA third party on the S2 will be better, but some (lazy) developers won't put in the effort.  But hopefully this is where Nintendo's porting studio steps in.  

I mean, power's not the only bottleneck; there's just not enough manpower available to port every single PS4/XBO game to the Switch even if the devs wanted to.

Still though, Switch ended up getting many of the best third party PS4/XBO titles, from Witcher 3 to Doom to Nier Automata. You don't need to get absolutely everything to still accumulate a strong library.

I expect it will probably be the same for the successor; it won't get everything, but it will get enough that there will be plenty to play in between the big first party releases, which is ultimately what matters.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

I mean, power's not the only bottleneck; there's just not enough manpower available to port every single PS4/XBO game to the Switch even if the devs wanted to.

Still though, Switch ended up getting many of the best third party PS4/XBO titles, from Witcher 3 to Doom to Nier Automata. You don't need to get absolutely everything to still accumulate a strong library.

I expect it will probably be the same for the successor; it won't get everything, but it will get enough that there will be plenty to play in between the big first party releases, which is ultimately what matters.

100% agreed.  The switch is a damn good console and Nintendo's best, at least IMHO.  

I will day 1 the S2.  I personally think Nintendo is the best developer in the industry.  Given Nintendo's art style, I think S2 games are going to mind blowing. 

The biggest issue is lazy developers who make bad decisions.  Square being the top of my list.  FF16 took forever to hit PC and doesn't even run that well.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

I don't think Switch missed out on nearly 5000 games. So saying it missed more than it received is laughable. But AAA! So fucking what?  145 million systems. Ah gee won't get AC Shadows or whatever. Doesn't matter. Switch has the largest library of games of any platform ever not named PC/Phone. Switch is closing in on 5000 games. It has sold 1.2 billion games. I don't think 3rd party will be a problem. Nintendo portable devices have never suffered on that end. Switch 2 will get enough big games a million mid-budget games and smaller games. Just like before and it won't be suffering. This very topic could have been posted in 2004 about DS vs PSP. Ah, it's not powerful enough yadda yadda. Nintendo got Luigi's Mansion 3, Tears of the Kingdom, and Xenoblade 3 on it. They will do things with Switch 2 people thought were not possible on that chipset as well.

Some of y'all need to chill and stop worrying about memory limitations and such. Every console every handheld deals with them and so do devs. If the money opportunity is there most devs will do the work to get it working. End of. If Activision puts Call of Duty MW on Wii.RE2 on a Game.com. Quake on SEGA Saturn. Half-Life 2 on Xbox. SF Alpha II on SNES. Witcher III and Doom games on Switch. Then whatever game they want to put in the work may work. No use stressing about this. I'm sure the same was said on this very forum 8-9 years ago.

Last edited by Leynos - on 31 August 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Switch 2 RDR2 port day one, and GTA V please

Radek said:

Switch 2 RDR2 port day one, and GTA V please

Take Two : "Naaah here's a port of Bully instead"

I fully expect them to do an half effort on the console like they did with LA Noire, RDR 1 and the GTA Collection. 

Unless one of their major title underperforms enough(on Xbox for example) that they see fit to try to recuperate that money on another more popular platform despite the added cost.

Though I feel like RDR 2 is the only real possibility for an upcoming port in the future.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:

I don't really bother with Ray Tracing, too much hit on performance for what are often minuscule visual improvements over only rasterized game, but Path Tracing, done properly, can really change how the game looks.

Path Tracing is Ray Tracing... Any game that uses light bounce is using Ray Tracing, Ray Tracing is group of algorithms/techniques and not really specific to anything.

Even Shrek on the original Xbox console back in 2001 used a single light bounce, which is Ray Tracing... As did Conker.

On PC - Ray tracing is definitely more impressive as PC has better Ray Tracing capabilities... Consoles got shafted by having AMD's version of hardware RT sadly.

No need to point out what Ray Tracing is to me Perm - I did it back on Amiga 500 in 80s. ;)

I was making distinction between what is currently called Ray Tracing vs Path tracing in modern games - Cyberpunk 2077 being good example of it - RT is fine, but nothing to write home about compared to rasterized only (so, IMO, for most part, kinda waste of GPU resources) - PT, on the other hand, is something much better in most cases, while hitting GPU a lot harder than RT - but it's really worth it, IMO.

Last edited by HoloDust - on 31 August 2024

Mar1217 said:
Chrkeller said:

No doubt that will be true for 1st party games.  But for third party games?  I don't see third party building games specifically for the S2.  Games will be built for Xbox, ps5 and PC.  

I can't fathom Capcom making Wilds, SF7 and RE9 based on S2 specifications.  

That's exactly why there were no 3rd party exclusives or timed exclusives on the Switch ... 

Oh wait. There is. A good amount in fact. MH Rise, Square Enix HD 2D games in general, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, SMT V, etc ... We're all made with the Switch platform as the starting point to which other eventual versions were based on. 

Mentioning that, you best bet Capcom 2nd MH team is working on the next timed exclusive MH game for the Switch successor most likely. And whatnot other deals Nintendo might have done with other publishers in the meantime. 

I would add Ubisoft's Just Dance series. That's clearly made for Nintendo consoles first. And a big seller over the years.