By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year 2024 - The possible titles

The world year is almost ending, and as we know, one game will take the spot as the Game of the Year for 2024. We still have a couple of months, but I believe most of the possible candidates are already out there.

So, what games could take the crown? In my opinion, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is so far the most likely to win. I don't think games like Stellar Blade or even Black Myth: Wukong could take the victory from the second part of FF7R.

What are your thoughts?

Around the Network

Balatro.

Not a joke or sarcasm. It's the game I had the most fun with this year. But, when Marvel vs Capcom Collection comes out, probably that if you count remakes/ports/whatever.

People who vouch for FFVII Rebirth need to stop staring at the girls swimsuits 5 sec and realize that the GOTY contest has often ultimately been an affair of popularity and sales being just as important as the critic reception.

Rebirth, due to the lack of sales info because it underperformed, it will likely be the lowest selling game of the GOTY category.

Anyway, at the moment HellDivers 2 would be more likely to win it due to it's immense impact and popularity.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

1.- Unicorn Overlord
2.- FF7 Rebirth
3.- Dragons Dogma 2
4.- Stellar Blade

My personal top 4. It is what it is, year wasnt stacked. GOTY winners are usually very high rated in Metacritic tho, its gonna be some weird GOTY awards all around. 

Last edited by Jpcc86 - on 28 August 2024

As far as games I think have a high chance to be nominated would be

Astro Bot
FF7 Rebirth
Metaphor: ReFantazio
Helldivers 2
Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth

There are several titles that I think could be wild cards

Dragon Age: The Veilguard
Silent Hill 2

I think they're highly unlikely, but each games most recent trailers have shown a lot of promise. I would say S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 could have a chance, but, the release date is past TGA's cutoff date how you gonna have an awards ceremony for a specific year and not take into consideration every single game that released that year?!

Unicorn Overlord and Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess have been my favorite games of the year so far though. But I hope Astro Bot wins if it turns out to be as good as we're all hoping it is.

Around the Network

Unless Veilguard or Astrobot are like generation-defining games, it will be FFVII Rebirth. But that's kind of Dragon Age Inquisition winning in 2014, as much from a lack of other options as it is from its own merits.

Are we talking out personal GOTY awards or the ones at Keighley's annual Kojim- I mean, VGA Awards?

My personal GOTY so far is Unicorn Overlord. I've mostly been playing remasters otherwise.

I'm fine with Rebirth winning, as games that I prefer like Paper Mario and Persona 3 might not qualify. Even if Persona 3 qualifies, I don't think critics liked it enough for it to win.
If Rebirth doesn't win, it'll probably be Like a Dragon or possibly a hail Mary of Animal Well (an indie).
I don't think Astro Bot or Zelda will be acclaimed enough to win GOTY on more than a handful of publications.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

GotY is releasing in September this year: Zelda EoW or Astro.

Metaphor refnatzio is looking mighty strong.but because it's JRPG that isn't soulsborn it's excluded. Astrobot is likely the one that's primed for the spot.