By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom announced; new 2D entry

I really love playing as Zelda and the echo ability looks brilliant. I'm less keen on the Link's Awakening artstyle returning.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Feels like Nintendo jumped through a lot of hoops because they feel Zelda herself shouldn't directly fight in combat, not going to lie.

I imagine Zelda will be able to use some sort of magic of her own, but to be fair, if Zelda's combat was identical to Link's, why bother with the protagonist change to begin with?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

It's cool that we're getting a new move set from Zelda, even if I would like to see her wield a sword and magic one day as a protagonist or supporting protagonist.
The only previous times we've had Zelda as the protagonist is 2 of the non-canon and non-Nintendo CD-i games that make up the Unholy Triforce. And in Wand of Gamelon, she played very similarly to Link.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

'The Legend of Zelda: Scribblenauts'

Combat wise, considering you can invoke a rocket launcher and bust an enemy camp with it, I don't think we necessarily need to fear her combat options.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

I've been wanting playable Zelda forever. And I really liked A Link between Worlds so I have high hopes for this one.

Soundwave said:

Feels like Nintendo jumped through a lot of hoops because they feel Zelda herself shouldn't directly fight in combat, not going to lie.

burninmylight said:

I'm glad that she's not just Link in a Zelda skin, but I can see a game with enemies but no direct combat getting tiresome. I hope she gets some kind of weapon that allows her to do traditional whacks as an option for those times when you just want to get something out of your face.

We see some example of her being directly in control of combat when she throws a rock, and with the bomb launcher mounted on her head.

Hiku said:

I've been wanting playable Zelda forever. And I really liked A Link between Worlds so I have high hopes for this one.

Soundwave said:

burninmylight said:

I'm glad that she's not just Link in a Zelda skin, but I can see a game with enemies but no direct combat getting tiresome. I hope she gets some kind of weapon that allows her to do traditional whacks as an option for those times when you just want to get something out of your face.

We see some example of her being directly in control of combat when she throws a rock, and with the bomb launcher mounted on her head.

I still want her to have access to a melee weapon with a button press. There will be times late in the game where I won't feel like getting cute and creative. I'll just want to quickly and efficiently smack the thing I need to kill until it's killed. It doesn't have to be the main method of combat, but just an option.

I really like the way this brings the open ended emergent gameplay that defined BOTW and TOTK to the 2D series. (And I use 2D basically to refer to the gameplay and to differentiate it from the "mainline/3D" entries I'm aware the graphics are 3D)

I also actually really like the Link's Awakening art style, so to see it return makes me happy.

This announcement really caught me off guard, I expected another remake, maybe of Link to the Past or Link Between Worlds, especially given how many remakes and remasters the first half of the year was filled with, so this was a wonderful pleasant surprise.

Bring on September!

With Zelda as the protagonist it should be called The Legend of Link: Echoes of Wisdom.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

curl-6 said:

I really like the way this brings the open ended emergent gameplay that defined BOTW and TOTK to the 2D series. (And I use 2D basically to refer to the gameplay and to differentiate it from the "mainline/3D" entries I'm aware the graphics are 3D)

I also actually really like the Link's Awakening art style, so to see it return makes me happy.

This announcement really caught me off guard, I expected another remake, maybe of Link to the Past or Link Between Worlds, especially given how many remakes and remasters the first half of the year was filled with, so this was a wonderful pleasant surprise.

Bring on September!

They definitely took TotK building aspect into account to develop this game. It was the very first thing that came to my mind.

And I think this is a good ideia, using the creative aspect of modern day Zelda games together with the oldschool navigation puzzle focus of games like Link's Awakening, which the remake shares the same artstyle with this game, is pretty clever.

I really dislike the way Link and Zelda look in this style tho, it's really so, SO bland.

And I also agree with people wanting to know if there will be a more easy to access combat option, specially after some hours of gameplay and getting back to old parts of the map where you already have been to.

Anyway, really good concept, let's see how it turns out.