By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo buys a (porting) studio from Embracer

GoOnKid said:
Chrkeller said:

For sure.  Though I would guess, giving scope of GTA6, porting will require hundreds of people.  I could be wrong.

It won't come anyway. Don't set yourself up for disappointments.

Maybe.  Probably.  Hard to say until S2 specs are confirmed.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
GoOnKid said:

It won't come anyway. Don't set yourself up for disappointments.

Maybe.  Probably.  Hard to say until S2 specs are confirmed.  

Nah, this isn't a matter of spec or popularity, otherwise GTAV would have made its way on the platform loooooong ago.

Although with the increasing obsolescence of the Xbox brand, you never know if they'll have to resort for a port on another console. Though who am I kidding. It'll be their new Graal the moment it's put on PC really

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Nintendo published/distributed GTA Trilogy on Switch (the physical version), I think they have been warming relations with Rockstar for a while. I wouldn't be that surprised if it comes.

I'm on the fence on GTA6 hitting the S2. I guess it depends on how hard it is to port. My assumption is portables will struggle with it.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

The team is 25 people? Yeah that doesn't strike as porting GTA6.... strikes me more as Nintendo online ports of legacy titles. Which is cool. Gamecube has a lot of gems.

I'm not an expert on any of this stuff but this team of 25 managed to release a Switch port of Hogwarts Legacy port and a MK 1 port last year. If I am not mistaken, most ports teams are 20 people at most (but I don't know how that figure has changed with more recent generations and technologies). Obviously GTA6 is a very large scale game, so it might need some more resources to its port. But I can't see it reaching 100 active staff porting it.

Check out my lastest games review: Fast RMX and  Snipperclips: Cut it out Together

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Chrkeller said:

I know. I would be so happy.  

I wouldn't expect current games or upcomeing ones... but like oldies but goodies.

Imagine Nintendo put Mario 64, Mario Galaxy I & II, ect on steam.
That should also help them stave off emulation worries ect.

I think that PC ports are bad for hardware makers because they devalue the hardware. Nintendo putting games on PC Microsoft learned that the hard way with Xbox now having to put games on competing platforms and now that Sony's most successful games of the year are on PC ghost of Tsushima and helldivers they are going to devalue the ps5 hardware for short term gains. 

cycycychris said:
Chrkeller said:

The team is 25 people? Yeah that doesn't strike as porting GTA6.... strikes me more as Nintendo online ports of legacy titles. Which is cool. Gamecube has a lot of gems.

I'm not an expert on any of this stuff but this team of 25 managed to release a Switch port of Hogwarts Legacy port and a MK 1 port last year. If I am not mistaken, most ports teams are 20 people at most (but I don't know how that figure has changed with more recent generations and technologies). Obviously GTA6 is a very large scale game, so it might need some more resources to its port. But I can't see it reaching 100 active staff porting it.

You don't need 100s of people for any kind of port. 

100+ people is like if you're literally re-doing art assets, re-doing entire game sections, making new poly models. As you said, this same team of like 20-25 people ported Hogwarts Legacy to the Switch, and that's a pretty massive game itself. 

The Mortal Kombat games have a shit ton of content too. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 22 May 2024

cycycychris said:
Chrkeller said:

That is pretty damn impressive.  Seems like a good purchase.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

eleazar0425 said:

This, along with the rumors of the Switch 2 specs, confirms that Nintendo is now more focused on third parties, which is excellent if you ask me. With this new subsidiary, there'll probably be ports in-house now, and considering these guys made some black magic with Hogwarts Legacy on Switch 1, you can imagine what they can achieve with the help of Nintendo's first-party studios for Switch 2—exciting times coming ahead.

And this time I think the likely promises Nintendo will make as Switch 2 comes out will remain.

Nintendo promised robust third-party support on Wii U and that crashed and burned within about a year. Most of that was Wii U's architecture, sluggish sales after launch, and GamePad. 

This acquisition from Nintendo seems like a great idea, with more third-party games on the way for Switch 2. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Chrkeller said:

I'm on the fence on GTA6 hitting the S2. I guess it depends on how hard it is to port. My assumption is portables will struggle with it.

All I saw from GTA6 is a cinematic trailer. This game went in development loooooonnnnnnggggg time ago. I could imagine when they started, they had no idea what a PS5/Xbox Series could do, so the game was developed with PS4 pro-ish in mind.