By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo buys a (porting) studio from Embracer

Hogwarts is not only a big game in itself, but it's also effectively a PS5/Xbox Series game, with even the PS4 and Xbox One versions being substantially downgraded ports that don't fit comfortably on the hardware.

Porting PS4 games to Switch is already challenging; porting something that's built for PS5 is a gargantuan undertaking, basically equivalent to porting a PS4 title to Vita or a PS3 game to PSP. The fact that Hogwarts is playable at all is a testament to Shiver's abilities, it must have been a hellish task.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 23 May 2024

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Hogwarts is not only a big game in itself, but it's also effectively a PS5/Xbox Series game, with even the PS4 and Xbox One versions being substantially downgraded ports that don't fit comfortably on the hardware.

Porting PS4 games to Switch is already a challenging undertaking; porting something that's built for PS5 is a gargantuan undertaking, basically equivalent to porting a PS4 title to Vita or a PS3 game to PSP. The fact that Hogwarts is playable at all is a testament to Shiver's abilities, it must have been a hellish task.

Yeah, massive props to them for making Switch port, though some things took quite a big hit (especially water). I still find Witcher 3 port to be better looking in many aspects than Hogwarts on Switch.

Tober said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm on the fence on GTA6 hitting the S2. I guess it depends on how hard it is to port. My assumption is portables will struggle with it.

All I saw from GTA6 is a cinematic trailer. This game went in development loooooonnnnnnggggg time ago. I could imagine when they started, they had no idea what a PS5/Xbox Series could do, so the game was developed with PS4 pro-ish in mind.

Maybe, probably.  But I think portables will struggle for two reasons.  GTA 6 is going to crush some storage space.  And because it will have so much going on it will rip memory bandwidth.  

But we shall see.  I don't even like GTA but I will give them props, the series tends to push past what people thought was possible.  

I'll have to disagree that Rock had no idea what a ps5/xbox could do....  PC is always ahead of consoles.  It isn't hard to figure out what to expect from consoles.  I don't think any developer got a ps5 dev kit and was caught off guard.  M2 storage wasn't novel.  16 gb of ram is reasonable.  And a 2070s gpu was expected.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

HoloDust said:
curl-6 said:

Porting PS4 games to Switch is already a challenging undertaking; porting something that's built for PS5 is a gargantuan undertaking, basically equivalent to porting a PS4 title to Vita or a PS3 game to PSP. The fact that Hogwarts is playable at all is a testament to Shiver's abilities, it must have been a hellish task.

Yeah, massive props to them for making Switch port, though some things took quite a big hit (especially water). I still find Witcher 3 port to be better looking in many aspects than Hogwarts on Switch.

Hogwarts required harsher sacrifices as its a much more technically demanding game than Witcher 3.

Witcher manages 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One, while Hogwarts brings PS4 down to 900p and Xbox One kicking and screaming all the way down to 720p with framerate struggles to boot. Both also needed content changes just to work on those machines such as new walls to block off demanding views or tables remade in a more geometric design.

Witcher 3 on Switch is an exemplary port, one of the best of a demanding title on the system especially with the settings options added later, but Hogwarts must have been significantly harder to pull off, hence the deeper cuts.

curl-6 said:
HoloDust said:

Hogwarts required harsher sacrifices as its a much more technically demanding game than Witcher 3.

Witcher manages 1080p on PS4 and 900p on Xbox One, while Hogwarts brings PS4 down to 900p and Xbox One kicking and screaming all the way down to 720p with framerate struggles to boot. Both also needed content changes just to work on those machines such as new walls to block off demanding views or tables remade in a more geometric design.

Witcher 3 on Switch is an exemplary port, one of the best of a demanding title on the system especially with the settings options added later, but Hogwarts must have been significantly harder to pull off, hence the deeper cuts.

All true - I'm just saying, from my POV, overall, Witcher 3 on Switch looks better than Hogwarts on Switch.
Mad props to them for bringing Hogwarts to Switch, but with a bit more financing and time, I think they could've made it even better looking than it currently is.
And now being Nintendo owned, they will probably get both more money and time for all the projects Nintendo deems important - like potential GTA VI or something of that rank.

Around the Network

Would folks prefer Shiver to port legacy titles with updated graphics or port third party?

I ask because I loved WWHD back on the Wii U and currently I'm really enjoying PM TYD. I kind of hope this team brings new life into legacy titles.

Pikmin 1 and Luigi Mansion 1 upgrades would be awesome.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

I'd be more impressed if they ported Planet Harriers. Before you go google I'm making a half-joke but also part serious and nothing to do with the visuals of a game from the year 2000. The hardware it ran on.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:

Would folks prefer Shiver to port legacy titles with updated graphics or port third party?

I ask because I loved WWHD back on the Wii U and currently I'm really enjoying PM TYD. I kind of hope this team brings new life into legacy titles.

Pikmin 1 and Luigi Mansion 1 upgrades would be awesome.

Personally, I'm not big on legacy ports; if I was interested in those games I'd already own them. So I'd rather they be used to bring third party titles to Switch and its successor.

Legacy ports. Bring em.. Xenoblade X most of all

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

nintendo wins again

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.