By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Helldivers 2 sold 12 million in 12 weeks making it the fastest selling Playstation game of all time.

Helldivers 2 has now surpassed God of war Ragnarok as the fastest selling PlayStation game of all time selling over 12 million units in just 12 weeks.

Sony's first live service title is a massive critical and commercial success.

Around the Network

It's still near the top of sales charts so could end up at 20m or close by the end of the year.

I know it's quite unlikely but in theory this probably should make Sony tune down their live service approach since they already have a massive hit on their hand and they'd just be competing with themselves, unless it's a very different genre. Unfortunately most companies seem to have that backwards.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

It's still near the top of sales charts so could end up at 20m or close by the end of the year.

I know it's quite unlikely but in theory this probably should make Sony tune down their live service approach since they already have a massive hit on their hand and they'd just be competing with themselves, unless it's a very different genre. Unfortunately most companies seem to have that backwards.

I think Sony will probably look to secure another 2 successful live service games, but yeah I think the whole thing with Naughty Dog already illustrates that they understand that they can't just force the single player devs into making live service games 

I'm not interested in HD2, but happy to see it sell given PC day 1 launch. I'm going to assume this will only make Sony more PC supportive.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Catching lightning in a bottle on their first try is very impressive.

I wonder if Sony will try and aquire Arrowhead, given they own the most successful IP Arrowhead have, they're probably already locked in to a very secure relationship without bringing them into PS studios. It might make more sense to just let them be independent.

Looking ahead at future Gaas games from Sony I'm not bullish on fairgames (although we've yet to see gameplay) but I'm curious about Concord, they have some serious pedigree at that studio.

Around the Network

I bet this has given Sony a huge sign of relief and hope that they can be relevant in the online multiplayer game outside of Call of Duty, and that possibly one day they won't have to rely on CoD any longer.

Helldivers 2 doing absurd numbers, i see.

Everyone: Sony can't make GaaS like everyone else because we don't want them too.
Also Everyone: Take my money!

There is a huge disconnect between what is considered popular group-thought online an what is actually popular and its not even close. Its the fast selling PlayStation game... of all time.

More than deserving! The game not only has an addicting gameplay loop, but as far as live services go, it's a breath of fresh air!

Now if Sony can just reallow the game to be sold in those 177 countries that the game was pulled from on Steam to get some more Helldivers in. We need to spread democracy further!

EDIT: It's actually 180 now as apparently they added all 3 Baltic countries onto the list. Some gaslighting on Sony's part there, but can only hope that all the gamers that bought the game will get to play Helldivers 2 again. Too great of a game to leave out so many.

Last edited by G2ThaUNiT - on 14 May 2024

V-r0cK said:

I bet this has given Sony a huge sign of relief and hope that they can be relevant in the online multiplayer game outside of Call of Duty, and that possibly one day they won't have to rely on CoD any longer.

Helldivers 2 has transformed PlayStation's portfolio at a turbulent time for the industry. 

I don't think its a reach to say games like Destiny 2, MLB The Show, GT7, and now Helldivers 2, are major tentpole titles, that draw a different audience than Sony's single player experiences like GoW, TLOU, or GoT. 

Its not as pressing a matter because of Microsoft's recent pivot, but HD2 is the kind of multiplayer juggernaut that can help in deterring, as unlikely as it is, of pulling CoD from the platform.