By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo to announce Switch's successor this FY, Switch 1 Direct coming in June

trunkswd said:

Last year Nintendo held a Direct on June 21, so this year will probably be around the same time. They announced Super Mario Bros. Wonder, the Super Mario RPG remake, and more at the June 2023 Direct. So we will likely get the big holiday 2024 Switch game announced.

Oh man ... We've already circled around that point 😅

Though, it was a good lesson for people who thought that Nintendo had nothing left in the bank after TOTK had released. 

I don't think we'll see such an amount of bombshells during this next Direct, but it'll definitely fill up the holiday season as they usually do I think. 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Yeah I don't expect anything on the level of Mario Wonder, but they'll almost certainly be some significant software announced for the back half of the year, which is looking very scant right now with no first party title dated beyond June.

There'll be some third party stuff as well; support has wound down a little from its peak in 2019-2022, but even so this year we've already gotten the likes of Grounded, Pentiment, Kingdom Come Deliverance, Prince of Persia, etc.
With the June Direct plus all the other shows/events happening in June, there should be a fair few Switch announcements.

Very excited to hear about this new system. It would be wild if they incorporated AI into it somehow.

BiON!@ 

hellobion2 said:

Very excited to hear about this new system. It would be wild if they incorporated AI into it somehow.

Many of the modern RISC chipsets have neural cores specific to AI.
I'm not sure how they could be used in a home console (maybe not at all) as they're usually used for predictive typing and other device specific algorithms. I suppose it depends on whether or not Nintendo or third party developers use AI algorithms in their games that would benefit - perhaps character behaviour in game, maybe some kind of rendering or graphical effects.

Either way, if Nintendo requires these features for their next hardware, chances are it's going to be used in some interesting ways.

On another note relating to extra cores, I hope Nintendo has enough cores to handle the core applications (namely the EShop) correctly this time around. I've been finding myself navigating through the website version of the EShop these days because the console version of it doesn't run smoothly (skippy videos, loading issues, etc...). Although, it's probably more of a memory issue rather than a chipset performance issues. I understand some of the concepts, but I'm not an engineer.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

There is a Monolithsoft "Project Legacy" that's being reported on as a "leak".
That would be a direct reference to the B.L.A.D.E. acronym in Xenoblade Chronicles X - Builders of the Legacy After the Destruction of Earth.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

I wish they would just reveal the Switch 2 already, not having any official information is almost worse than the release date moving back. At least let us see the system already, it just feels so arbitrary that we have to wait until probably October.

I just bought gaming laptop for 500$ with 16gb of ram and with rtx 3050, playing switch games is a beautiful thing as mobile experience. I really hope switch has a much better mobile experience with the new joycons and the lcd is much better quality.

Yeah the wait does kinda suck, as it's been so long since we got a new system, but at least we know now that the reveal will happen in the next 10 months; it was worse before this announcement when it felt like the wait would be eternal.

Getting a Direct this month is also a nice consolation prize as far as making things more bearable in the short term.

I know some people will poo-poo it, but I miss E3 being a set date and I miss Sony/Nintendo/MS basically being obligated to have to show their big guns (and like new systems) there.

If this new set up is supposed to be "better", well I ain't feeling it. We're just sitting in limbo waiting.

Soundwave said:

I know some people will poo-poo it, but I miss E3 being a set date and I miss Sony/Nintendo/MS basically being obligated to have to show their big guns (and like new systems) there.

If this new set up is supposed to be "better", well I ain't feeling it. We're just sitting in limbo waiting.

Yeah I really miss E3 as well.

Granted, sometimes you got crappy shows like Nintendo's 2012 and 2015 ones, but for the most part it was an exciting time of year. Summer Games Fest sucks and is a poor substitute.

That said, Nintendo still does a Direct almost every June at least, so as a Nintendo fan it's nice that we still have that.