By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

Can you guys dial it down a notch? They're just pieces of plastic and very rich (some dead) company leaders, nothing to get personal about.
@Phenomajp13, @HebrewGamer, @XtremeBG
Speak your points slowly (piece by piece) nobody likes reading jumbles of text.

Around the Network
padib said:

Can you guys dial it down a notch? They're just pieces of plastic and very rich (some dead) company leaders, nothing to get personal about.
@Phenomajp13, @HebrewGamer, @XtremeBG
Speak your points slowly (piece by piece) nobody likes reading jumbles of text.

I'm done with it man. I'm dealing with people who don't know how citations work. 

HebrewGamer said:

I'm done with it man. I'm dealing with people who don't know how citations work. 

You're okay. Try to go piece by piece and emphasize what you value as important. Without a proper foundation it's hard to see eye to eye.

padib said:

You're okay. Try to go piece by piece and emphasize what you value as important. Without a proper foundation it's hard to see eye to eye.

He doesn't value the PS2. He value only the Switch. That's it.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

@padib He literally called us fools when he's the one using wiki as a source. He continues to spout "overlap" because wiki said so lol. The only thing he cited was the PS2's total software sales as of 2007 at 1.2 billion. Obviously the PS2 went on to sale more software after that since it wasnt discontinued until December 2012/January 2013. Thats like taking a screenshot of the Switch's current software total as of March 31, 2024 at the current 1.2 billion and saying it will never sale another game again. We literally showed him citations for more up to date figures as of March 31, 2012 (5 years after his 2007 cite) and he just brushes it off, clearly not even understanding the difference between sell-in and sellthrough. He doesn't value citation, he values ignorance. He's not even trying, he's just flat out trolling. It's sad because this is what I have to say about a fellow Nintendo fan. This level of trolling the PS2 is unnecessary because the Switch certainly has the edge now. Nintendo meeting their fiscal year goal puts Switch just short of 155 million. Even if Switch 2 launched in March, that still wouldn't be able to stop Switch from atleast crawling to 160 million.

Around the Network
padib said:
HebrewGamer said:

I'm perfectly fine. These other two headcases, not so much.

Not much you can do about one person who's gaslighting you and another person who's outright lying. Can't argue with people willing to do that and quite frankly you shouldn't.

the information is all there. Anyone can read through it if they choose.

HebrewGamer said:
padib said:

I'm perfectly fine. These other two headcases, not so much.

Not much you can do about one person who's gaslighting you and another person who's outright lying. Can't argue with people willing to do that and quite frankly you shouldn't.

the information is all there. Anyone can read through it if they choose.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120609180243/http://scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2soft_e.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PlayStation_2_video_games#cite_note-1

The above links are his sources. The first one cites the 1.24 billion, which it clearly states as shipments. The second link is where he is getting this overlap mess from. Dude is literally using this note on a wikipedia page as his source. The note is below.

"As of March 31, 2007, a total of 1.24 billion copies of PlayStation 2 software had been shipped worldwide.[1] Between April 1, 2007, and March 31, 2012, an additional 297.5 million copies had been sold.[2] Note that since the former figure refers to shipments and the latter refers to sales, there may be overlap between the two figures."

This is incorrect. Sales, shipments, sold, or sell-in are all the same. This note is trying to say the 1.24 billion software sales are sellthrough and the additional 297.5 million are just shipments? No that is wrong, if you actually click the link that cites the 1.24 billion, then you would clearly see it says shipments! The 1.24 billion are the lifetime software shipments as of March 2007. The PS2 would then ship/sell-in 297.5 million more until March 31, 2012. That means in 5 years (between March 2007 to March 2012) the PS2 ships 297.5 million more units equating to the 1.5 billion cited on our links as of March 2012. This really is all there is to it, both figures are shipments/sold/sell-in. The 1.24 billion is just an earlier time (March 2007) vs. the 1.5 billion being as of March 2012. 

You will not find sellthrough for software because software is so difficult to track. Software is far cheaper meaning you will see games sold in several more retailers. I have personally seen games sold in drugstores. Those stores don't carry consoles because they are far more expensive. Consoles are easier to track sellthrough for because there are less retailers ordering them (consoles). 

XtremeBG said:
HebrewGamer said:

You don't know the difference between sales and shipments. I see that now. shipments does not mean sold to consumer. it means it was stocked by the retailer. As I told you, I know where you got that number from.

(tried to post the direct links but it just won't work. you can go to best selling PS2 games on Wikipedia where it says they shipped 1.24B software and an additional 297 software and click the citation links)

The units SOLD were the additional ~300 units, not the 1.24B which are shipments.

I run numerous sales threads and have been following vgcharts since 2010 (despite my registraion being 2011) You really debate my knowledge in sales and shipments and sold units ?

Even if you was true and the actual number reported was 1.24B and 300 more shipped it is obvious those 300 more would be sold at sometime. Which would again lead to final number of 1537.

However, whereever you try to search for PS2 software sales u can see 1.5B. Here is just one of the many many articles about the official report of Sony SELLING, not shipping that 1.5B in software - https://web.archive.org/web/20110322001816/http://asia.gamespot.com/news/6298857.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop%3Bstory%3B17.

Also keep in mind that this is from February 2011. By the time PS2 games really stopped selling in the stores - sometime in 2014 I guess the PS2 software can have reached even 1.6B or more. I know very good the difference of sold and shipped. I know also that whatever is shipped is becoming sold at sometime. Again though, this is not the reason I answered to your original comment, but because it's not right to bash at the success of any of the consoles. And this is not because I like playstation, or the PS2. In fact my favourite one is PS3. But even if you deny the success of average console like the XB360, or even Nintendo one if you want like 3DS, I would not agree with you, cuz there is no matter the sales, if the console is good or have proven itself to be somewhat of a success, it's not okay to downplay or deny it's achievements. Or even hate at whichever console, even the lower selling ones.

ET for the Atari say hello from the grave.

NBA Elite 11 Had its copies recalled and destroyed as well. A few cases like that. Back in the '80s and early '90s of games were manufactured but never sold at retail for various reasons.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

What's interesting about PS2's software sales versus Switch's is that while it's the highest selling system of all time, PS2 only has 6 games that sold over 10 million units, while Switch has 21.

Sony's first party IP hadn't really acquired megaton status back then aside from Gran Turismo.