By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Happy 7th Birthday to the Switch

On this day in 2017, here in Australia/Japan time at least, the Nintendo Switch was released.

There was a lot of scepticism surrounding it, following on the heels of the wildly unsuccessful Wii U, and many predicted it would flop and lead Nintendo to go third party. Instead, it exploded out of the gate thanks to a killer first year lineup, and 7 years later it's gunning for the position of highest selling console of all time, something that would've been unthinkable back in March 2017.

I got mine in October of that year; I wanted to wait until I was sure it wouldn't be another Wii U before I took the plunge. I got it with Splatoon 2, though Mario Odyssey, Doom 2016, and Xenoblade 2 all followed soon after.

Since then, it's gone on to become my second favourite system of all time, with only the legendary SNES ranking higher.

What are your thoughts on and fondest memories of the Switch, as we look back on 7 years of Nintendo's hybrid?

Around the Network

I got it in July that year with a workplace discount and started with Breath of the Wild. I enjoyed my Wii U but was concerned that the Switch could be a repeat when it was first unveiled.
Switch has become one of my top game platforms of all-time. If I didn't have a PS4 and PS5, there would be dozens more third-party games I would've played on Switch (Persona, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, TMNT: Shredder's Revenge, etc.).
Even when you exclude Wii U ports, the Switch first-party line-up is probably the best of any game platform. Two 3D Zeldas, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and so on.
I won't be all sunshine and rainbows here. Switch's online infrastructure is weak despite the fact that Nintendo has the resources to bring it up to par. JoyCon Drift is an epidemic. That needs to be fixed on the next system and should've been fixed by now.
Nintendo should make the next system iterative. They have a megahit with Switch and it's not time to go back to the drawing board.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Pretty solid device. It's became my indie device as well my Nintendo 1st party device.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Happy b-day!

My favorite nintendo console :)

Around the Network

The Switch is without a doubt my favorite Nintendo system ever. Maybe my overall favorite gaming system ever actually. Were I considering only its AAA line-up of major titles maybe not quite, but the added value of its unrivaled indie offerings and the fact that one can play it both portably and on the big screen makes it just very, very tough to argue against. To top it all off, buying one won't break the bank. A winner is you!

Happy Birthday!

I was an early adopter (launch day with BotW). Bought it after seeing the Mario Odyssey trailer back in the January presentation. Never played Mario nor Zelda — BotW and Odyssey were actually my first in their respective franchises — but I fell for FOMO and got it as early as I could. Within my first play session of BotW, I knew that my taste in gaming had been forever changed: It was from that point I became super invested in video games. I easily consider Switch to be Nintendo’s greatest console, no competition. All my favorites from every franchise originate or can be played on this system. It truly is the definitive Nintendo console…that is until Switch successor releases next year.

Got it day one with BOTW collectors edition and a pro controller(must have imo). Midnight release at my local Gamestop. I own about 180 physical games for it now and a few digital titles. Probably reach over 200 by the time Im done. Also got the TOTK OLED Switch and 3 more pro controllers. Just a great system with an awesome and varied game library.

Happy Birthday

The Switch for me is everything I wanted the successor to the Wii to be, with the added benefit of portability.

I got the switch when Mario Odyssey came out. Got the limited edition one. It's my favourite Nintendo consoles.i use it mainly for jrpg as it's the perfect console for jrpg both old and new and also perfect console for older games that I missed out on 360 ,Xbox one ,PS3 and so on