By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Happy 7th Birthday to the Switch

I was following the story of the Switch since the leaks, rumors, and patents of the NX. I was very hyped to hear how it was coming along, then seeing the trailer for the Super Bowl, things Switch'd (pun intended lol). I was in line at my local Best Buy day 0, and got a Switch with BotW. I flew to Las Vegas in preparation for a 2 year hiatus, and brought it with me. I was the only one with a Switch and was able to enjoy it at takeoff, cruising altitudes, and the descent. I put in 180 hours into BotW before I took that 2 year hiatus from the real world. Once I returned I saw what has become of it. A wonderful console with great games, wonderful "gimmicks" (play-on-go, tabletop, tv) still so much potential, and I saw that Nintendo was all in. Then they put pokémon on their console and I re-fell in love with the franchise. I spent about 150 hours in Pokémon Sword and completed the nat dex, and went to revisit all my old games, purchase Japanese pokémon games, and dive into that world again. The Switch has reminded me that life doesn't have to suck, you can find happiness, fun and other positive feelings anytime, anyplace, doing anything.
While I re-dove into pokémon I began to follow and make a personal account of how many Switch units have been sold. I started back in 2017, had the hiatus, and resumed when Pokémon Sword/Shield were released. I believed back then that the Switch can and will become the greatest console, and the best selling console of all time. I followed Nintendo Life for units amounts, but could only find the Japanese numbers, then I found Famitsu. And then I encountered the FY Quarter Releases, where Nintendo updates their totals. And somehow I found VGChartz back in 2020 (I didn't feel like I had a reason to make an account until Nov 2023). I have been keeping a personal account and enjoyed seeing how Switch was selling at such speeds. The Switch has been a wonderful era for Nintendo and I'm glad that I could be present during it.

To the future, progress, and truth.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network
KLXVER said:

Got it day one with BOTW collectors edition and a pro controller(must have imo). Midnight release at my local Gamestop. I own about 180 physical games for it now and a few digital titles. Probably reach over 200 by the time Im done. Also got the TOTK OLED Switch and 3 more pro controllers. Just a great system with an awesome and varied game library.

Happy Birthday

Holy cow, that's a lot of games, man! You have like a list or something?

KLXVER said:

Got it day one with BOTW collectors edition and a pro controller(must have imo). Midnight release at my local Gamestop. I own about 180 physical games for it now and a few digital titles. Probably reach over 200 by the time Im done. Also got the TOTK OLED Switch and 3 more pro controllers. Just a great system with an awesome and varied game library.

Happy Birthday

Nice

I got over 200 games too - majority are digital though.

I've been playing more portable wise with third party games and mostly first party titles at home.

I actually got a OLED ordered and expected to come in a few days which I will permanently use as a my portable Switch.

I'll be getting the successor day 1 (assuming it has b/c) otherwise will wait 2 years.

GoOnKid said:
KLXVER said:

Happy Birthday

METALMAN's Backloggery

KLXVER said:
GoOnKid said:

METALMAN's Backloggery

A fellow back logger!

Around the Network

Back in early 2015, when Iwata announced Nintendo's partneship with De:Na and the codinome for its next home console, no one would thought that, 9 years later, the then called NX would turn out to be one the most, if not the most, successful console of all time. Now, it is on track to surpass the DS and the PS2 in total sales numbers and, despite there have been moments that it seemed impossible, I've always been a believer. I hope it manages to achieve that, althought if it happens to not do it, it won't change how incredible the Switch is. I strayed a little from the main point of the forum, so to finish things up, I'll say that I bought a Switch Lite in 2019, a v2 Switch in 2022 and I've been very happy with it. It's a shame I don't have so much time to play on it so much, but the few game I've played were excellent. Super Mario Odyssey is my all time favorite Switch game for now

KLXVER said:
GoOnKid said:

METALMAN's Backloggery

Absolutely awesome! Great list!

KLXVER said:

I own about 180 physical games for it now and a few digital titles. Probably reach over 200 by the time Im done.  

BasilZero said:

I got over 200 games too - majority are digital though.

Holy moly, very impressive.

I have 52 Switch games to date, which is the most software I have ever owned for a single console.

Happy birthday Switch! Now anyone know any good driving games on the switch that I can relax and play while watching a movie?

BiON!@ 

The Switch is an amazing system. I think it might be my favorite Nintendo console ever.

The library is absolutely stacked between all of the Zelda, Mario, Pokémon, Kirby, Splatoon, Metroid, Pikmin, and Xenoblade games as well as Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, not to mention some unexpected revivals like Famicom Detective Club and the best third party line-up of any Nintendo system ever.

I picked my Switch up in May 2017 with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe since I bought BotW for the Wii U. I remember feeling a little disappointed with that purchase at the time, but, in retrospect, it was a great first Switch game now that it has 96 courses.