By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tropical Freeze or Mario Bros Wonder?

I think the best is...

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 31 53.45%

Super Mario Bros Wonder 27 46.55%

Total:58

Tropical Freeze

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

Super Mario Bros Wonder is way better than DKC Tropical Freeze.

Better level design, better choice of characters, better feel/mechanics, etc.

BasilZero said:

Super Mario Bros Wonder is way better than DKC Tropical Freeze.

Better level design, better choice of characters, better feel/mechanics, etc.

But the music is so much worse in Wonder... it's not even in the same league as TF. I'd also say TF has better level design with much more love put into details (except the bonus stages of course lol)

curl-6 said:
archbrix said:

Regarding graphics/presentation though...

I don't think it's as one-sided as that. TF does go for a much denser style compared to the more intentionally simple look of Wonder, but Mario does have nicer lighting to my eyes, likely thanks to being on newer hardware.

To be fair, you picked one of Tropical Freeze's uglier levels.

Tropical Freeze is def the better platformer.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think it's as one-sided as that. TF does go for a much denser style compared to the more intentionally simple look of Wonder, but Mario does have nicer lighting to my eyes, likely thanks to being on newer hardware.

To be fair, most of the game doesn't look as good as Grassland Groove either though.

Tropical Freeze isn't a bad looking game, but I really don't think it easily beats Wonder. The two just go for very different approaches, dense and detailed vs simple and clean.

siebensus4 said:

But the music is so much worse in Wonder... it's not even in the same league as TF. I'd also say TF has better level design with much more love put into details (except the bonus stages of course lol)

Music sure, I'll give DK that but level design for me goes to Super Mario Bros Wonder.

curl-6 said:
mZuzek said:

To be fair, most of the game doesn't look as good as Grassland Groove either though.

Tropical Freeze isn't a bad looking game, but I really don't think it easily beats Wonder. The two just go for very different approaches, dense and detailed vs simple and clean.

I think it looks better easily the levels feel alive with way more  details going on. Simple and clean is always much easier to with the lazy backgrounds. It's litterly  new super mario type graphics with better character models, better backgrounds and better lighting .

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I think it looks better easily the levels feel alive with way more  details going on. Simple and clean is always much easier to with the lazy backgrounds. It's litterly  new super mario type graphics with better character models, better backgrounds and better lighting .

I recommend you check out Digital Foundry's analysis for a good explanation of why Wonder's graphics are far from lazy:

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I recommend you check out Digital Foundry's analysis for a good explanation of why Wonder's graphics are far from lazy:

My friend I have eyes when people are saying a platformer that came out 10 years doesn't look as good as a platform that came out 3 months ago on much more powerful hardware doesn't look as  good its lazy. Basically every AAA games is doing way more, not saying the game looks bad but way too simple looking for my tastes. You tell me what's so impressive about it? The character models look cute and nice nothing impressive and everything else is super simple and the best part is probably the lighting. The game could probably run on wiiu, ps3 and 360 at 720p.