By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tropical Freeze or Mario Bros Wonder?

I think the best is...

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 31 53.45%

Super Mario Bros Wonder 27 46.55%

Total:58

Hmm It seems that if a plataform is not so difficult, it is, by defalt, considered not as good as a more difficult one. What I mean is that people usually prefer Tropical Freeze just because it is more difficult than Mario Wonder. Well, I voted for Mario Wonder for a couple things I think it does better. One example is how the screen is not zoom out like in TF, thing that I don't appreciate and unfortunatly is very common in modern plataforms. I really don't like to play a plataform where the character I control is so small compared to the rest of the things around it in the screen. I'm also not a huge fan on how TF implemented new characters. I would rather play with Diddy and Dixie like the original DCK trilogy than make them just tools for Donkey Kong get new abilities. Mario Wonder does better in making it possible for you to play with any character you want, and, the best of all, make all of them equal in matter of gameplay (excluding Yoshi and Nabbit) and the difference in gameplay being tied to badges that character can make use of.

That being said, I do like difficult plataforms but the nitpicks I mentioned above makes me prefer Mario Wonder over Tropical Freeze by a little

Last edited by CourageTCD - on 13 February 2024

Around the Network

dk because Mario Wonder has pathetic repetitive and uncreative bosses

Pretty much a tie for me but I'd give it to Super Mario Bros Wonder over Tropical Freeze in the end because of two main things: The tight control of Mario vs the slippery physics of DK, and I hate having to time button presses for high bounces off of things in DK instead of just holding down the jump button in Wonder to do it.

Regarding graphics/presentation though...

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:
Pemalite said:

Mario Wonder was a breath of fresh air for the mario platforming formula.

I haven't been able to resonate with any of the Donkey Kong games since the RARE SNES releases.

I'm still waiting for the DKC Trilogy to get a remake like they did with SMRPG.

Update the visual and the music and don't touch the gameplay.

A MILLION TIMES YES!!!!! I would even settle for a remaster of the trilogy where the pixelated graphics are cleaned up to look good on an HD screen, similar in style to the Final Fantasy Pixel Collection

I choose a write-in: SMB3

lol

Around the Network

I agree with remastering the DKC trilogy with cleaned up pre-rendered graphics. As others have said, leave the gameplay as is—completely unchanged.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

JackHandy said:

I choose a write-in: SMB3

lol

I’m just going off on a tangent of personal opinion here, but:

Speak of the devil! DKC trilogy, Super Mario Bros 3, Kirby Superstar, and the first two Sonic games remain my favourites of all time. I’m not saying they’re the best, only that they’re the ones I like the best.

I haven’t had much experience with the later games in the franchises. I will occasionally buy them, but rarely play for more than 2-3 hours total, despite playing the classics still for many hours. The strength of nostalgia… but I also weigh games as more an art form than objective checklists of quality. That’s why even decades later, Super Mario Bros 3 still reigns (in my opinion) despite modern Mario games having more detail in a shoe than entire levels of SMB3.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

I agree with remastering the DKC trilogy with cleaned up pre-rendered graphics. As others have said, leave the gameplay as is—completely unchanged.

I dont really get it. The games still look great imo.

archbrix said:

I don't think it's as one-sided as that. TF does go for a much denser style compared to the more intentionally simple look of Wonder, but Mario does have nicer lighting to my eyes, likely thanks to being on newer hardware.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 13 February 2024

curl-6 said:
archbrix said:

I don't think it's as one-sided as that. TF does go for a much denser style compared to the more intentionally simple look of Wonder, but Mario does have nicer lighting to my eyes, likely thanks to being on newer hardware.

That's more my point I guess. You're right that the difference in the end isn't that big; Mario does look great and I love the animation, but we're talking about stronger hardware and almost 10 years later for Wonder. To be more accurate:  I was more impressed with what Tropical Freeze pulled off given the game's age and respective hardware.