By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Tropical Freeze or Mario Bros Wonder?

I think the best is...

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 31 53.45%

Super Mario Bros Wonder 27 46.55%

Total:58
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I recommend you check out Digital Foundry's analysis for a good explanation of why Wonder's graphics are far from lazy:

My friend I have eyes when people are saying a platformer that came out 10 years doesn't look as good as a platform that came out 3 months ago on much more powerful hardware doesn't look as  good its lazy. Basically every AAA games is doing way more, not saying the game looks bad but way too simple looking for my tastes. You tell me what's so impressive about it? The character models look cute and nice nothing impressive and everything else is super simple and the best part is probably the lighting. The game could probably run on wiiu, ps3 and 360 at 720p.

The video gives a very thorough breakdown of its underlying design and achievements. Your personal taste is of course up to you, all I'm saying is there's a reason that experts in the matter at DF are impressed by it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

My friend I have eyes when people are saying a platformer that came out 10 years doesn't look as good as a platform that came out 3 months ago on much more powerful hardware doesn't look as  good its lazy. Basically every AAA games is doing way more, not saying the game looks bad but way too simple looking for my tastes. You tell me what's so impressive about it? The character models look cute and nice nothing impressive and everything else is super simple and the best part is probably the lighting. The game could probably run on wiiu, ps3 and 360 at 720p.

The video gives a very thorough breakdown of its underlying design and achievements. Your personal taste is of course up to you, all I'm saying is there's a reason that experts in the matter at DF are impressed by it.

I don't need someone opinion to tell what's is impressive. They always are impressed by nintendo.games or they would get lynched unless the game runs like crap. Mario wonder is a good.looking game but in world where we have ori and the blind first, and mortal kombat 1 doing amazing thing with 2d graphics the reality its not. They wanna impress make something that blows away tropical freeze after 10 years.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I don't need someone opinion to tell what's is impressive. They always are impressed by nintendo.games or they would get lynched unless the game runs like crap. Mario wonder is a good.looking game but in world where we have ori and the blind first, and mortal kombat 1 doing amazing thing with 2d graphics the reality its not. They wanna impress make something that blows away tropical freeze after 10 years.

You're free to have that opinion. I agree with Digital Foundry.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

My dude we are debating lf it looks better then a 10 year old game on a system that's really on the same power level as a 360. I expect donkey tropical freeze 2 to be something impressive on Switch 2 that's gonna be a feast for the eyes.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

My dude we are debating lf it looks better then a 10 year old game on a system that's really on the same power level as a 360. I expect donkey tropical freeze 2 to be something impressive on Switch 2 that's gonna be a feast for the eyes.

Which looks better is entirely a matter of opinion. There is no debate because there is no correct answer.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Which looks better is entirely a matter of opinion. There is no debate because there is no correct answer.

My point is if something wants to be considered impressive it should be a consensus by the majority that it looks better graphically then something released 10 years ago on a much weaker system. For example almost every 3d game today looks more impressive than something released 10 years ago. Mario being a 3d in 2d could actually look mind blowing considering its like the best selling 2d game of all time so it has the budget but they always simple graphics that look like budget games.

rapsuperstar31 said:
Pajderman said:

Did not enjoy Mario Wonder when I tried it but I have not played Tropical Freeze.
I do however listen to the music from Tropical Freeze very often. It has one of the best soundtracks of all time and because of that I give the edge to TF.

What didn't you like about it? It's not a hard game which is a knock on it, but I think I had a big smile on my face every level whenever a new unique Wonder power got activated.  They were very unique and a lot of fun to play through.

Most probably because I'm getting old and the it is more and more difficult for a game to impress me.

Wonder have an abundance of creativity something that generally is a good thing. But for me the levels felt to random, like there are no set rules for the gameplay. And I absolutely hated that larva-thingy who needed to speak all the time. 

The different badges one can use to edit what Mario can do in a level is also a great concept, but since the levels are so easy even without them I mostly did not bother. Great to set ones own rules but missing the tactical reason present in for example SMB3 where some levels was brutal without a frog suit or a leaf. There where no sense of accomplishment.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

My point is if something wants to be considered impressive it should be a consensus by the majority that it looks better graphically then something released 10 years ago on a much weaker system. For example almost every 3d game today looks more impressive than something released 10 years ago. Mario being a 3d in 2d could actually look mind blowing considering its like the best selling 2d game of all time so it has the budget but they always simple graphics that look like budget games.

That's the thing though, Wonder isn't supposed to look "impressive" or detailed. It's clean simple art style is a deliberate artistic choice. You may not like that choice, but by thinking about it in terms of power or what's "impressive" you're completely missing the point.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

That's the thing though, Wonder isn't supposed to look "impressive" or detailed. It's clean simple art style is a deliberate artistic choice. You may not like that choice, but by thinking about it in terms of power or what's "impressive" you're completely missing the point.

I think it's a good looking game but I feel like 2d games need to push the envelope and mario has the budget for it. I really appreciate donkey kong cause the world is full of detail and feels huge and alive. While mario just feels like a budget game I really wish mario would go hand  drawn or if they  go 3d with make it impressive with detail something like tropical freeze.

I think both games have their stride of great creativity and fun in them.
Of course though, from an approachable standpoint, Mario Wonder is my choice for its mastery of the usual elements it brings, while still feeling incredibly fun to play around, the badge system is truly wonderful to express a players creativity from a platforming standpoint and I hope they bring it back.

However, I think Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is also quite the masterpiece for the creative set pieces and the ludonarritive it operates while you play through the stage. It simply feels alive like you don't see many other games do, not even Mario to an extent. And it's got quite the challenge for itself too.

I like both games of course, but I'll proclaim Tropical Freeze as my favorite of the two.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909