By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Could the Switch surpass the PS2 in sales?

It has a shot of doing that but it'll be tough unless the successor is early 2025 which I doubt happens. Assuming it's at about 145m by the end of 2024 it'd need to sell quite a bit after the Switch 2 launches to get there. It has a decent chance of surpassing the DS but the PS2 is quite unlikely though it'll get close for sure.

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

PS2 has a massive *

Probably 20-30 million PS2 sales, at least, came from people simply wanting a cheaper DVD player and not even interested in games.

Anyone who buys a NS does so to play games. NS won this battle already.

Yea,thats not how it works lol.

Also the software sales of the ps2 where what? 1.8bill(in a age where modding your ps2 whas super easy)

About 20 til 30 mill switch systems are broken.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Possible but improbable.

Switch sales are declining pretty hard.

It's possible if Nintendo does a big push. The difference between PS2 and now is that large new markets have come on line...

China, Eastern Europe, South America, India. A price drop could make Switch a quick win in these Geos

We will probably know more in the coming weeks. Sales during this holiday season were pretty lackluster, if that trend continues, then probably not. Otherwise there's a real chance that it could surpass the PS2.

Around the Network

It would probably take Switch 2 releaseing late 2024, maybe 2025,.... and a price drop to reach that.
It could happend, however I think Nintendo likes profit, more than it cares about record setting.

100$ price drop next month announcement on Switch, would probably do good things for sales.
A full year of that, and I could see it happending.

I said the same thing with the PS4.... (not beating the PS2 in sales) (but with pricecuts needed last part of gen)
Sony went for profits on hardware sales margins, rather then trying to sell more units.
Its end of life cycle was abit dissapointing... it should have been abit cheaper, to push more units.

Even this year, I hope they lower prices of the PS5 abit.
Keep trying to push those 20m+ sold though years, so you build up a solid userbase, and try beating the PS4 sales.

It could. But I think it's more likely not to right now.

It will. Give it 3 more years from now.

It's very unlikely. There's definitely a slowdown in Switch sales, and without a price cut I cannot see another 20m in its engine. Few things against it:

• Lack of first party games: SMBW and ToTK seem to be its last big games
  • Showing its age: I know Hogwarts legacy was ported recently, and it is an amazing feat but the graphical comparisons with newer systems versions highlights a huge gap. The Switch can barely handle a PS4 game (even after massive graphical downgrades) and in 2024 a lot of customers will have an issue with that
  • Switch 2 rumours: it's no secret we will see its release this year
  • Price point: I think at current price it's no longer cheap. Again with its age showing and the fact you can get a console like XBS for the same price or cheaper makes the Switch less appealing
  • Slowing sales: 2023 saw a significant drop in sales and this with one of its most anticipated games of all time being released. I think 2024 sales will plunge

All of the above suggest that the Switch will fall short. Obviously the Switch has proven a lot of people wrong before, including myself. I still think the chances are very low.

Will you have buyers remorse if it does not?