By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation First Party Game Sales Leak (Data from Feb 2022)

Signalstar said:

No sales data at all for Dreams. Ouch.

GT Sport would be the 2nd best selling game in the franchise after the heavily bundled GT3. Weird that this would be the title Polyphony stopped reporting sales for the series with.

We can basically say any first party PS4 game that isn't on this list sold less than 4m units.

Around the Network

A lot of misrepresenting of the data, including which is forecast for the period and which are actual sales. Apparently Ratchet turned a comfortable profit

https://icon-era.com/threads/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart-was-profitable.8211/

"The game had an 83M budget and 145m in net revenue as of February 2022"
"The presentation where it said Rift Apart flopped was made almost an entire YEAR BEFORE the games release"
"The game sold 1.6m units in its first month"

Last edited by Otter - on 21 December 2023

i thought they said sackboy's big adventure flop? what happened

littlebigplanet 3 at 5 million is pretty good it really makes you think why haven't they made the 4th game by now?

kirb4kirb said:

i thought they said sackboy's big adventure flop? what happened

littlebigplanet 3 at 5 million is pretty good it really makes you think why haven't they made the 4th game by now?

They ventured out into Sackboy Adventure, critically I don't think LBP3 landed that well. It just felt like more of the same, so I see why Sony wanted to try something different. 

HFW generated $435M in revenue its first year compared to HZD generating $481M in revenue for its lifetime.

With Sony's premium pricing strategy this generation, they're going to have a handful of titles surpassing, or approaching, at least 1B+ in revenue. Based on launch aligned comparisons, it doesn't look like this new strategy is impacting the legs of these games, as HFW, GT7, Ragnarok and SpiderMan 2 are tracking higher than their predecessors on a launch aligned basis.

Sony has also stated that adding HFW to their PlayStation Plus catalog has severely impacted its sales. I think this would also extend to Ghost of Tsushima, which was just under 10M last year, and going forward, Sony is going to take a bit longer in putting their blockbuster titles on their service. Ideally, Sony getting around 1B+ in revenue from game sales, before putting them on their service to increase engagements/subscribers, is the best way to balance their distribution methods. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 20 December 2023

Around the Network

I had a gut feeling Bloodborne passed 5 million, partly based on its very high popularity online, but surely not by 2.6+ million!

Sony meanwhile: "What's a Bloodborne? The piece of trash that sold a measly 8 million?"

The two bigger surprises here are GT Sport and Ratchet and Clank. GT7 15 million lifetime confirmed, maybe 20 million+ if ported to PC and doesn't get added to PS+.

Zippy6 said:
Signalstar said:

No sales data at all for Dreams. Ouch.

GT Sport would be the 2nd best selling game in the franchise after the heavily bundled GT3. Weird that this would be the title Polyphony stopped reporting sales for the series with.

We can basically say any first party PS4 game that isn't on this list sold less than 4m units.

Predator Hunting Grounds is on the list at 830K so....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
Zippy6 said:

Predator Hunting Grounds is on the list at 830K so....

Any game that isn't on the list I said. All games that were released in FY2021 and later as of this being created were included regardless of sales, like Predator.

If you look at the image in the OP that I created the table from the titles below where it says FY2020 seem to be all PS4 first party games released before April 1st 2020 in sales order. So if a game isn't on this list it looks like it sold less than 4,039k

So if the game released between April 1st 2020 and this list being created it's on the list (Predator). If the game released before April 1st 2020 it's only on the list if it sold 4,039k or more.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 21 December 2023

Mostly in line with what I expected based on sales announcements and such. The Last of Us Part II is kind of rough... I bet they expected to at least match the Remaster. Ragnarök and Spider-Man 2 can probably cross the 20 mil line as well, but I wonder what else they could have up their sleeve to hit those numbers in the future.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

GT Sport has a meager difference between playercount and actual sales (roughly 14 vs 13 million), in contrats to Microsoft's typical (extrapolated) ratio of like 4 or 5:1. GT Sport never made it into Playstation Plus, but I guesstimated it to have sold around 9 million copies at 14 million players (Feb 2022).

It's strange that Polyphony uses the "players" metric when the actual sales are very close.