By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation First Party Game Sales Leak (Data from Feb 2022)

kirb4kirb said:

i thought they said sackboy's big adventure flop? what happened

littlebigplanet 3 at 5 million is pretty good it really makes you think why haven't they made the 4th game by now?

I also don't understand it.

LittleBigPlanet has really good numbers.

Some surprises:

Bloodborne sold 7.6M, Ratchet 7M, Gran Turismo Sport 13M.

And they closed Evolution after Driveclub (5M copies sold).

Around the Network

Internet users and respectable insiders/journalist have been saying that 1st party Sony games weren’t making money.

This link only confirmed what doing simple math means, the games are very profitable.

Crazy that despite Bloodborne's success, they didnt try to capitalize it with a remaster or sequels like Dark Souls.

BasilZero said:

Crazy that despite Bloodborne's success, they didnt try to capitalize it with a remaster or sequels like Dark Souls.

Miyazaki implied readiness to make a sequel (Bloodborne is his favorite self-made game) but said it wasn't up to him (it's Sony's decision to make since they own the IP).

There are fairly strong indications that FromSoftware is working with Sony on something big, but it's taking too long and I doubt it's a Bloodborne sequel. We will probably get the remaster for PS5 and PC at some point though.

kazuyamishima said:

Internet users and respectable insiders/journalist have been saying that 1st party Sony games weren’t making money.

This link only confirmed what doing simple math means, the games are very profitable.

What's the saying? Game publishers don't want money, they want all of the money and if they don't get that its not worth it?

Something like that. 

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Around the Network

The Last of Us 2 is way less than expected. It seems that the controversy did have a significant impact. Not on the same level as Sony top franchises. I guess ND has a lot to prove this gen.

TLoU numbers don't add up.

Series totals (official) = 37 million as of Dec 2022.

TLoU PS3: 8.1m as of 2019 (VGChartz).

TLoU PS4: 18.2m as of Feb 2022

TloU2: 9.6m as of Feb 2022

Total: 35.9m.

But these numbers are outdated and missing TLoU Remake. The above suggests TLoU Remake + the other games sold through only 1.1 million combined from Feb 2022 to Dec 2023, which doesn't sound right.

Kyuu said:

TLoU numbers don't add up.

Series totals (official) = 37 million as of Dec 2022.

TLoU PS3: 8.1m as of 2019 (VGChartz).

TLoU PS4: 18.2m as of Feb 2022

TloU2: 9.6m as of Feb 2022

Total: 35.9m.

But these numbers are outdated and missing TLoU Remake. The above suggests TLoU Remake + the other games sold through only 1.1 million combined from Feb 2022 to Dec 2023, which doesn't sound right.

"We are so proud to share that the entire The Last of Us franchise has sold through more than 37 million copies globally as of December 2022." It's not a very precise statement with an exact day or exact figure. Most likely sales were below 38m as of December 31st 2022.

This means the missing sell-through is between 1m and 2m. The data missing is 10 months of sales for TLOU1/2 and the first 3 months of TLOU Part 1.

We know Part 1 did not sell very well at launch but enjoyed a boost the year after from the TV Show. In the UK, launch week TLOU P1 sold less than half the physical copies that the Saints Row reboot did in it's launch week. Saints Row was considered a sales flop and on September 9th an investor was only talking about selling "above 2m" by March 31st 2023.

There's not necessarily any large discrepancy here, it does ring alarm bells but it's not inconceivable that everything pretty much lines up. TLOU Part 1 did not sell a lot and did not launch on PC until March 2023 so PC sales are not included in the "more than 37 million" figure. The TV show which boosted the sales of the games also did not come out until after this.

KrspaceT said:
kazuyamishima said:

What's the saying? Game publishers don't want money, they want all of the money and if they don't get that its not worth it?

Something like that. 

Any company are after money, no one is for the people of for “the gamers”.

Astrals said:

The Last of Us 2 is way less than expected. It seems that the controversy did have a significant impact. Not on the same level as Sony top franchises. I guess ND has a lot to prove this gen.

The 10m units figure is as of June 2022.

the interesting thing is that even at about half of the sales of Part I, Part II made more revenue than the former at an average sold price of around $43.xx

Also, from the leaks, R&C: Rift Apart is at 4m. units sold as of June 2023. 

^ That is not certain since that slide, if it's indeed from the leak, says R&C PS4 instead of Rift Apart, but has the latter's release date.

So either way it contains a relatively large mistake.