By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation First Party Game Sales Leak (Data from Feb 2022)

haxxiy said:

^ That is not certain since that slide, if it's indeed from the leak, says R&C PS4 instead of Rift Apart, but has the latter's release date.

So either way it contains a relatively large mistake.

R&C PS4 is at 7m units sold

The breakdown of sales for R&C:RA is:

Year 1 sales: 2.712m units sold

Year 2 sales: 1.268m units sold

Total as of June 2023: ~4m. Units sold (PS5 Version Only)

Budget is about $105m units including everything and average sold price is around $53.xx

Also, GOW:R Budget seems to be around $200m excluding marketing. 

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:

R&C PS4 is at 7m units sold

The breakdown of sales for R&C:RA is:

Year 1 sales: 2.712m units sold

Year 2 sales: 1.268m units sold

Total as of June 2023: ~4m. Units sold (PS5 Version Only)

These are just the first and second-year sales, that alone doesn't prove it isn't R&C PS4 data.

However... I realized the slide has RA's Meta. This means the name was likely an Excel auto-complete error and it's indeed supposed to say R&C: RA.

Assuming it's true, that is. Which no one knows for sure.

Ok now I see why they spent a lot on Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Ratchet 2016 selling over 7 million makes it by far the best selling entry in the franchise (I believe it's the only Ratchet game to sell more than 4 million). However, I think Sony heavily overestimated how many people would be willing to spend $70 on Rift Apart. Most of 2016's sales I bet came from when people bought it for $10 - $20. Also, it doesn't help 2016 launched at $40. It's pretty much like the Crash 4 situation where it sold a lot less at launch than the Trilogy because the Trilogy launched at $40 whereas 4 launched at $60. People were just simply waiting for the price to drop.

Sogreblute said:

Ok now I see why they spent a lot on Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart. Ratchet 2016 selling over 7 million makes it by far the best selling entry in the franchise (I believe it's the only Ratchet game to sell more than 4 million). However, I think Sony heavily overestimated how many people would be willing to spend $70 on Rift Apart. Most of 2016's sales I bet came from when people bought it for $10 - $20. Also, it doesn't help 2016 launched at $40. It's pretty much like the Crash 4 situation where it sold a lot less at launch than the Trilogy because the Trilogy launched at $40 whereas 4 launched at $60. People were just simply waiting for the price to drop.

Evidence suggests that it's outpacing R&C 2016 despite the higher average price, lower PS5 install base, and the whole PC support thing. This goes for God of War Ragnarok and Gran Turismo 7 as well. All three appear to be outpacing their predecessors despite the multiple disadvantages.

Still, I wouldn't bet on Rift Apart PS5 ouselling the 2016 game. PC version and Sony being less generous than in the PS4 days will cost some sales for sure.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 27 December 2023

This leak has revealed that discounts and bundles have a significant impact on unit sales for PlayStation 1 first-party titles. Despite selling fewer units than HZD, Mario Party has certainly made more money.

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

This leak has revealed that discounts and bundles have a significant impact on unit sales for PlayStation 1 first-party titles. Despite selling fewer units than HZD, Mario Party has certainly made more money.

They're impressive nevertheless. And their average prices from PS5 onward are much higher while maintaining strong sales.

Kyuu said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

They're impressive nevertheless. And their average prices from PS5 onward are much higher while maintaining strong sales.

PS4 bundles used to add value to the system. Then Sony introduced the $560 bundles where you pay extra for the game and everything changed for them. They are still making revenue from it unlike previous generations. 

LGBTDBZBBQ said:

I would say that doesn't hold up in the PlayStation 5 generation. Sony's premium pricing strategy has not deterred the growth of their first party IP's. Ragnarok and SpiderMan 2 should clear 1B+ in revenue for their lifetime. Sony also made back what they paid for Insomniac, in profit, just from Miles Morales.

I think discounts helped build the mindshare of these IP's, and its paying off this generation. Bundles were definitely overestimated though. I would expect it to be closer to 50% of lifetime sales with how users leveraged it against Sony first party, but not Call of Duty, FIFA, Hogwarts, Mario Kart, etc. 

Last edited by PotentHerbs - on 01 January 2024