By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Nintendo suck at making "Core gamer" consoles?

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

High sales is more indicative of casual than core.  The Honda civic sells more than a Subaru STI.  That doesn't mean the civic is for car enthusiasts and the STI is for casuals.  

I disagree that high sales is more indicative of casual then core, it's usually more that the game does  something special that  core and casual can both really enjoy.

OK, let's say you have a game that appeals to core and casual. That is possible I agree. But that would still lead most core games as pretty low in sales. And most popular games would be casual. As casuals - as in each other hobby - by multitudes outnumber the core. A lot of people watch Marvel movies, but the movie enthusiasts watch movies that others don't even have heard of.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Mass appeal by default means casual.

Think of movies... the top grossing movies are for core and not for casuals? Low grossing movies means casual?

Just no.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

zeldaring said:
RolStoppable said:

Nah, the key here is that PS and Xbox don't offer much for core gamers if they aren't into AAA third party games.

Not to mention that zeldaring himself has demonstrated often enough already that he is a casual. In the above post he says that if you aren't playing Nintendo games on Switch, then you are basically just playing indie games. This is so laughably wrong that it can only come from a casual gamer (read: uninformed gamer) or a troll. Now it's up to him to argue which one of the two he is.

What games are big sellers other than Nintendo’s games? I think sales figures tell the story better then someone's opinion.

A core gamer doesn't care how much the game they play has sold. It's casuals who pick games based on popularity.

So to stick to the point at hand (highlighted in bold above), you are most definitely a casual gamer.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

zeldaring said:
Mnementh said:

"Majority" and "core gamers" are a contradiction. Core games are usually niche.

The NPD Group defines a core gamer as anyone who plays at least five hours a week on a Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, or Mac

And are they a big group? In this statistics it is indicated that core gamers (here called super gamers) are actually the smallest group, which also makes the most logical sense: https://www.statista.com/statistics/300942/number-core-gamers-usa/

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
zeldaring said:

I disagree that high sales is more indicative of casual then core, it's usually more that the game does  something special that  core and casual can both really enjoy.

OK, let's say you have a game that appeals to core and casual. That is possible I agree. But that would still lead most core games as pretty low in sales. And most popular games would be casual. As casuals - as in each other hobby - by multitudes outnumber the core. A lot of people watch Marvel movies, but the movie enthusiasts watch movies that others don't even have heard of.

NPD lists a core gamer as gamer that plays 5 hours a week i'm not talking about enthusiast. 

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Pemalite said:

Most of the great games are missing? It has it's own great games.

Just like the Xbox has it's own great games.

Just like the Playstation has it's own great games.

Just like the PC has it's own great games.

Just like Android/iOS has it's own great games.

Great games are NOT exclusive to YOUR preferred platform, they exist on all platforms.

The Playstation 5 doesn't stop being a great platform simply because I can't play StarCraft on it, does it?

The industry isn't purely focused on the Playstation 5/PC, In-fact, the largest gaming platform is mobile, that is where the mass-focus is for game developers.

we are mainly talking about homes consoles. And talking about what the majority of of core gamers are looking for. Would most core gamers choose a switch over current consoles if it wasn't for nintendo games? 

You literally mentioned PC.
Are you trying to troll me or something? First you shift the goal post, then you get upset when I elaborate on a topic you present?

I know many core gamers who are happy with the Switch console for specific genre's like JRPG's.

zeldaring said:

Core games are core games it doesn't matter how popular they are. All those games you listed are core games we grew up playing that are a evolution and resonate with core gamers. 

Why lie? You have literally used popularity as your argument. "I.E. What the majority of core gamers are looking for"

You are literally being hypocritical in your reasoning and flip-flopping between standards to forward a false narrative.

zeldaring said:
Mnementh said:

"Majority" and "core gamers" are a contradiction. Core games are usually niche.

The NPD Group defines a core gamer as anyone who plays at least five hours a week on a Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PC, or Mac

The Mac is even more niche' than any Nintendo console as a gaming platform.

I don't think the NPD groups definition is entirely relevant or a source of truth in regards to a definition as it's not their primary purpose.

Nintendo's Core demographic exists and it is massive.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

McDonald's sells the most hamburgers. I guess McDonald's is for foodies and not casuals....

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

McDonald's sells the most hamburgers. I guess McDonald's is for foodies and not casuals....

you're a core gamer and you know damn well you would not be happy with switch as your only platform. Anyway i'm bored with this topic but my point was i imagine a core gamer would care about playing the biggest games by the biggest developers with out the games having horrible performance and looking like mud, and since all the online and message boards go crazy for AAA games and they all the hype i thought most core gamers would be bothered but you guys proved me wrong. 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 21 December 2023

zeldaring said:
Mnementh said:

NPD lists a core gamer as gamer that plays 5 hours a week i'm not talking about enthusiast. 

Sorry, even with that: you claimed a core gamer cannot be happy with Switch alone. I brought CRPGs as an example. Let's say an core gamer that is specifically interested in CRPGs. On Switch they can play: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous, Pilalrs of Eternity, Dinity Original Sin 2, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale and Wasteland 2. That are literally thousands of hours playtime right there. At five hours a week you look at 10 years. With one genre of core games alone and assuming that core gamer never ventures outside their niche.

But your definition (or that of the NPD) of five hours a week - that means people that exclusively play Fortnite fit the definition. Fortnite is readily available on Switch. That definition fits players exclusively playing Minecraft. Again available on Switch. Monster Hunter players - fine on Switch.

Throughout the whole thread you argue a core gamer that isn't liking Nintendo games could never be satisfied with Switch alone. Now you deliver a definition of core gamer, which actually says that millions of core gamers exclusively play on Switch. You argue in that thread that core gamers need access to all AAA games in best graphics, but this definition actually includes a majority of players who couldn't care less.

That definition means Animal Crossing players are core, Mario Kart players are core, by the way.

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

you're a core gamer and you know damn well you would not be happy with switch as your only platform. Anyway i'm bored with this topic but my point was i imagine a core gamer would care about playing the biggest games by the biggest developers with out the games having horrible performance and looking like mud, and since all the online and message boards go crazy for AAA games and they all the hype i thought most core gamers would be bothered but you guys proved me wrong. 

You just gave a definition of core gamer wit playing five hours a week. Most of the people falling in this category don't care about the biggest games, most of them play one game exclusively. Most of them don't care about horrible performance and games looking like mud. And most of them don't frequent online message boards. Online message boards are for a very small minority of gamers, many of them are weirdos that are not actually playing that much but instead spend hours looking at screenshots counting blades of  grass of a scene in a game on different platforms, just to make stupid arguments on said message boards. The majority of players, and yeah especially a group as broad as players playing five hours a week couldn't care less.