By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Does Nintendo suck at making "Core gamer" consoles?

Mnementh said:
zeldaring said:

you're a core gamer and you know damn well you would not be happy with switch as your only platform. Anyway i'm bored with this topic but my point was i imagine a core gamer would care about playing the biggest games by the biggest developers with out the games having horrible performance and looking like mud, and since all the online and message boards go crazy for AAA games and they all the hype i thought most core gamers would be bothered but you guys proved me wrong. 

You just gave a definition of core gamer wit playing five hours a week. Most of the people falling in this category don't care about the biggest games, most of them play one game exclusively. Most of them don't care about horrible performance and games looking like mud. And most of them don't frequent online message boards. Online message boards are for a very small minority of gamers, many of them are weirdos that are not actually playing that much but instead spend hours looking at screenshots counting blades of  grass of a scene in a game on different platforms, just to make stupid arguments on said message boards. The majority of players, and yeah especially a group as broad as players playing five hours a week couldn't care less.

You make a good point. I guess i'm reflecting my thoughts of what a core gamer is, which line up with what the OP is saying and also comparing it to other platforms. 

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

McDonald's sells the most hamburgers. I guess McDonald's is for foodies and not casuals....

you're a core gamer and you know damn well you would not be happy with switch as your only platform. Anyway i'm bored with this topic but my point was i imagine a core gamer would care about playing the biggest games by the biggest developers with out the games having horrible performance and looking like mud, and since all the online and message boards go crazy for AAA games and they all the hype i thought most core gamers would be bothered but you guys proved me wrong. 

Honestly I would take the switch over the ps5 as a core gamer.  The best is PC because of steam and emulation.

The ps5 effectively has no exclusive games.  The couple it has at the moment will be on steam.  No exclusives means it is a poor dedicated system.  Might as well go PC for ps5 and xbox... and PC....  and emulation.  

Either way, your popular means core is a God awful argument.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 21 December 2023

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Honestly I would take the switch over the ps5 as a core gamer.  The best is PC because of steam and emulation.

The ps5 effectively has no exclusive games.  The couple it has at the moment will be on steam.  No exclusives means it is a poor dedicated system.  Might as well go PC for ps5 and xbox... and PC....  and emulation.  

My argument is yes if you are a core gamer and a game is popular and getting tons of praise you would wanna play it, but with a switch only you can't, and that's what makes it weaker compared to others. As a core gamer you would you think they would care about playing on descent hardware. I agree with powerful PC makes PS5  useless and even switch somewhat if you wanna do emulation. 

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

My argument is yes if you are a core gamer and a game is popular and getting tons of praise you would wanna play it, but with a switch only you can't, and that's what makes it weaker compared to others. As a core gamer you would you think they would care about playing on descent hardware. I agree with powerful PC makes PS5  useless and even switch somewhat if you wanna do emulation. 

To be fair I suspect hardly any core gamer owns a single console.  I consider myself pretty damn core and I never have owned a single console.  

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

To be fair I suspect hardly any core gamer owns a single console.  I consider myself pretty damn core and I never have owned a single console.  

I would call you hardcore lol. Most of my core gamer friends own xbox series x and ps5

Around the Network

So people who spend hundreds an Analogue consoles and handhelds. Mod their retro consoles or even recap capactitors their Turbo Duo's. Build custom handheld PS2s or Gamecubes. These people are not hardcore because they don't play GTAV/CoD the easiest most accessible games to buy on the easiest most accessible systems to purchase.

....Ok

Last edited by Leynos - on 21 December 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

Funny thing is that definition means Candy Crush and Raid Shadow Legends are core games. 

I can actually agree on Candy Crush being even a pretty hardcore game (never tried Raid myself). 

The Switch is a core console. Nintendo themselves also uses the terminology "core" and "casual". The showcase "iconic" title for the system is Breath of the Wild, which is as hardcore of a title as Nintendo has probably released. 

It's not driven in sales by a Wii Sports or Nintendogs which were expressly designed for non-gamers. Sure there are primarily two successfully casual games on the system ... Ring Fit (which likely sold above its head due to COVID shutdowns boosting every home fitness product like Peleton bikes) and Switch Sports, but if you removed these two games it's not like the Switch would suddenly not be a 120+ million seller. If you remove Wii Sports or Wii Fit or Nintendogs/Brain Training from Wii or DS, it would completely alter those systems' identity and sales. Labo and 1,2 Switch never really took as huge sellers (by Nintendo standards). 

The top 10 selling Switch titles are all traditional Nintendo franchises that existed before the Wii/DS era and the whole "blue ocean" idea was even a thing really.

It's just aiming for an audience that doesn't necessarily want every game to be a dark/violent murder sim or a sports sim.

But that's not really that different from what Nintendo was doing in say ... the Super NES era. Animal Crossing debuted on the N64 in Japan and GameCube in the West, that's basically the newest IP in their top 10. I don't think Switch Sports is even going to finish in the top 15 Switch sellers, that's obviously very different from the Wii.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 21 December 2023

Soundwave said:

The Switch is a core console. Nintendo themselves also uses the terminology "core" and "casual". The showcase "iconic" title for the system is Breath of the Wild, which is as hardcore of a title as Nintendo has probably released. 

It's not driven in sales by a Wii Sports or Nintendogs which were expressly designed for non-gamers. Sure there are primarily two successfully casual games on the system ... Ring Fit (which likely sold above its head due to COVID shutdowns boosting every home fitness product like Peleton bikes) and Switch Sports, but if you removed these two games it's not like the Switch would suddenly not be a 120+ million seller. If you remove Wii Sports or Wii Fit or Nintendogs/Brain Training from Wii or DS, it would completely alter those systems' identity and sales. Labo and 1,2 Switch never really took as huge sellers (by Nintendo standards). 

The top 10 selling Switch titles are all traditional Nintendo franchises that existed before the Wii/DS era and the whole "blue ocean" idea was even a thing really.

It's just aiming for an audience that doesn't necessarily want every game to be a dark/violent murder sim or a sports sim.

But that's not really that different from what Nintendo was doing in say ... the Super NES era. Animal Crossing debuted on the N64 in Japan and GameCube in the West, that's basically the newest IP in their top 10. I don't think Switch Sports is even going to finish in the top 15 Switch sellers, that's obviously very different from the Wii.

Is Splatoon not in their top 10 now?

The_Yoda said:
Soundwave said:

Is Splatoon not in their top 10 now?

Maybe if the list didn't count half of it being Pokemon games but otherwise no. It's around the 11M mark.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909