By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out Now

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch 2023 Worldwide Sales Comparison Charts Through November

Here we see data representing the sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and two legacy platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) over comparable periods for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2020 – (January 2020 to November 2020)

2021 – (January 2021 to November 2021)

2022 – (January 2022 to November 2022)

2023 – (January 2023 to November 2023)

"Year to date" sales for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2023 versus 2022 and 2023 versus 2021 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 5.64 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 1,425,354 units (-20.2%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 12.55 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 2,387,987 units (-16.0%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 17.92 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 7,079,586 units (65.3%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.24 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 19,271 (8.7%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Switch being down just 16% YOY in it's 7th year is a phenomenal performance. Almost unprecedented legs for a Nintendo platform; only the Gameboy had that kind of staying power, and only due to the lightning in a bottle that was the rise of Pokemon. And Switch has already passed the Gameboy's total sales.

Xbox though... over 20% down at the three year mark is terrible; that's when a platform should be in its prime, not declining more steeply than it's 7-year-old rival.

curl-6 said:

Switch being down just 16% YOY in it's 7th year is a phenomenal performance. Almost unprecedented legs for a Nintendo platform; only the Gameboy had that kind of staying power, and only due to the lightning in a bottle that was the rise of Pokemon. And Switch has already passed the Gameboy's total sales.

Don't worry, with December's data those 16% will become something like 25%.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

Don't worry, with December's data those 16% will become something like 25%.

Why do you want the Switch to stop selling so badly? 

You seem to get so enthusiastic every time it shows signs of slowing, including jumping the gun multiple times.

curl-6 said:

You seem to get so enthusiastic every time it shows signs of slowing, including jumping the gun multiple times.

You are the person who jump everytime when Switch is mentioned and you always praise it, the sales and how good it's doing. It is obvious and we all see. I don't want to stop selling. I am just a realist and tell you the truth. And I am telling you, cuz you can't stop commenting how good it is doing. The only time I get enthusiastic is when there is some big news about one of three big manufacturers, like new console announcement or some BIG guns. Also, saying the truth and the obvious, doesn't make me " wanting the switch to stop selling ". Wanting or not, it's getting there, but this is not the point.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 18 December 2023

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

You are the person who jump everytime when Switch is mentioned and you always praise it, the sales and how good it's doing. It is obvious and we all see.

I don't want to stop selling. I am just a realist and tell you the truth. And I am telling you, cuz you can't stop commenting how good it is doing.

The only time I get enthusiastic is when there is some big news about one of three big manufacturers, like new console announcement or some BIG guns.

Why do you care so much if someone else makes a positive comment?

How does it impact you at all if somebody you'll never meet posts something on an online forum that you don't agree with?

Getting so worked up about it isn't healthy. It's only video games. It's a hobby that's supposed to be fun, not something to actually get upset over.

curl-6 said:

How does it impact you at all if somebody you'll never meet posts something on an online forum that you don't agree with?

Getting so worked up about it isn't healthy. It's only video games. It's a hobby that's supposed to be fun, not something to actually get upset over.

I don't care. You care .. obviously. For me it's only annoying, seeing after every single article or post, even when the Switch is on decline, how you always rotate it so it look positive. And I just give you the rotation back to the real situation.

And what does meeting have to do with this ? I am not impacted. For me to post I have to be impacted ? It's just annoying when whatever happens you are always optimistic. Other people also love the Switch and praise it. Me too when it was in it's peak. But I haven't see anyone else telling on the black - white. Whatever. I wouldn't go so much into explanation, but your comment make me to . And I am not getting worked up or something .. I don't know why you think so. Of course it's videogames. You have different view obviously about how things are.. And I will say it again. I just said the reality that will happen. I don't know why you even reacted, commented back or started discussion .. It is obvious, and it's normal. No one is taking anything from your favorite system.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 18 December 2023

XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

I don't care. You care .. obviously. For me it's only annoying, seeing after every single article or post, even when the Switch is on decline, how you always rotate it so it look positive. And I just give you the rotation back to the real situation.

And what does meeting have to do with this ? I am not impacted. For me to post I have to be impacted ? It's just annoying when whatever happens you are always optimistic. Other people also love the Switch and praise it. Me too when it was in it's peak. But I haven't see anyone else telling on the black - white. Whatever. I wouldn't go so much into explanation, but your comment make me to . And I am not getting worked up or something .. I don't know why you think so. Of course it's videogames. You have different view obviously about how things are..

And I will say it again. I just said the reality that will happen. I don't know why you even reacted, commented back or started discussion .. It is obvious, and it's normal. No one is taking anything from your favorite system.

There's no need to get annoyed over it. It's just a stranger's opinion, on a niche video game forum. Just disregard it.

curl-6 said:

There's no need to get annoyed over it. It's just a stranger's opinion, on a niche video game forum. Just disregard it.

I tried in the beginning.. But man you are not stopping, every time I see new post, and it's from you, it is 9 of 10 times about how well Switch performs. And when it does - congrats. It's not a problem. But when it's starts to decline and you are still trying to find something positive just to not stand face to face with the reality is just funny, and when you are doing it on every article it becomes annoying. And why are you bothered ? Just like you are sharing your positivity I am sharing my realistic view. You are saying it's YOY 16% down. I am answering you that won't be final, and since it's fell 40% in November, the December will be similar, and with that month it will go down to around 25%. This is normal and it's the reality. What is your problem with that ? Switch is where it is - 3rd place, despite what me or anyone else can say. So why even bother ?  No one can stop the system selling, nor no one can boost it with words .. So what do you even care.. Guess what, mine is also opinion, so what's the problem ? Just like you can comment, everytime the Switch is mentioned, I can comment everytime I chose to. It does need for someone to get upset or get worked up.

XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

I tried in the beginning.. But man you are not stopping, every time I see new post, and it's from you, it is 9 of 10 times about how well Switch performs. And when it does - congrats. It's not a problem. But when it's starts to decline and you are still trying to find something positive just to not stand face to face with the reality is just funny, and when you are doing it on every article it becomes annoying. And why are you bothered ? Just like you are sharing your positivity I am sharing my realistic view. You are saying it's YOY 16% down. I am answering you that won't be final, and since it's fell 40% in November, the December will be similar, and with that month it will go down to around 25%. This is normal and it's the reality. What is your problem with that ? Switch is where it is - 3rd place, despite what me or anyone else can say. So why even bother ?  No one can stop the system selling, nor no one can boost it with words .. So what do you even care.. Guess what, mine is also opinion, so what's the problem ? Just like you can comment, everytime the Switch is mentioned, I can comment everytime I chose to. It does need for someone to get upset or get worked up.

Well I am not going to change what and how I post to suit you, so frankly, you'd better just get used to it.