By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out Now

curl-6 said:

The situation is good though. Context is key. If Switch were declining its in 3rd year as Xbox is, that would be bad. But to be declining in its 7th year? That's not bad, it's just natural. Every system no matter how successful slows down and stops selling. That's no more a failure than ageing is a disease. It's a natural, normal, and inevitable process.

Who said it's a bad thing ? It's just normal, as I said earlier. And me saying that it will go down 25% YOY with December, does not make it bad. You are reacting like it's making it bad. Of course that 25% down in 7th year is not bad. It's normal. No one said the opposite. Context is again the key.

Again though you are comparing it to the xbox ... Don't make me start this again .. Even though I like Xbox, it's a failure by sales since XB1 launched .. and you are sabotaging yourself and your praise of the Switch with comparing it with a brand that is .. well it's not failure but it's not far from it ( going by sales since XB1 launch ) It's like having a ferrari or one of the best cars (Switch) And comparing it to just a daily normal car .. (Xbox). (Again speaking entirely from sales perspective, I love Xbox, and it's very good system for me).

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Around the Network
XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

The situation is good though. Context is key. If Switch were declining its in 3rd year as Xbox is, that would be bad. But to be declining in its 7th year? That's not bad, it's just natural. Every system no matter how successful slows down and stops selling. That's no more a failure than ageing is a disease. It's a natural, normal, and inevitable process.

Who said it's a bad thing ? It's just normal, as I said earlier. And me saying that it will go down 25% YOY with December, does not make it bad. You are reacting like it's making it bad. Of course that 25% down in 7th year is not bad. It's normal. No one said the opposite. Context is again the key.

Again though you are comparing it to the xbox ... Don't make me start this again .. Even though I like Xbox, it's a failure by sales since XB1 launched .. and you are sabotaging yourself and your praise of the Switch with comparing it with a brand that is .. well it's not failure but it's not far from it ( going by sales since XB1 launch ) It's like having a ferrari or one of the best cars (Switch) And comparing it to just a daily normal car .. (Xbox). (Again speaking entirely from sales perspective, I love Xbox, and it's very good system for me).

I think you have misunderstood my post.

The point was not "Switch is doing great because it's outselling the Xbox", the point was "Xbox is doing terribly because it's declining faster than a 7 year old platform."

Last edited by curl-6 - on 19 December 2023

XtremeBG said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I really hope Xbox situation changes with some exclusives. That new Blade game and Hellblade II could help it.

But then, I had the same thought with Starfield...

If they only could return back to their 360 perfomance as a manufacturer .. They bought all these studios and they are weaker then when they had only gears, halo and forza ..

XB no longer have the talent or management team in place from 20 years ago, November  2025 will be 20 years since the 360 launch. If i had a kid in 2005 they would be 18 years old today. People dont work for the same company for 20 years. So get them 360 fantasy out of ya heads. The 360 management team is long gone, many retired from the industry.

MS have to rebrand xb and always come in a few hundred dollars cheaper than ps and nintendo if they want any hope of staying in the hardware space.

curl-6 said:

I think you have misunderstood my post.

The point was not "Switch is doing great because it's outselling the Xbox", the point was "Xbox is doing terribly because it's declining faster than a 7 year old platform."

I agree with this. Even though I like Xbox it is doing very poorly since 2013. But then again PS2 was outselling both the PS3 and 360 in their first 2 or 3 years. Of course Switch's doing it again for Xbox is accomplishment too.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Link to VGChartz article here.

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Month 37

This monthly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 54,370,652
  2. PS5: 48,932,444
  3. XSX|S: 25,373,618

Through the first 37 months available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.44 million units and is 29.00 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 23.56 million units.

The Switch has sold 54.37 million in 37 months worldwide, while the PS5 sold 48.93 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 25.37 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 37 months, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 42.3 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 38.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 19.7 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 18,488,821
  2. PS5: 17,163,159
  3. XSX|S: 12,456,095

Through the first 37 months available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.33 million units and is 6.03 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.71 million units.

The Switch has sold 18.49 million in 37 months in the US, while the PS5 sold 17.16 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 12.46 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 37 months, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 38.4 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 35.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.9 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe:

1. PS5: 16,197,326
  2. Switch: 13,878,195
  3. XSX|S: 6,986,826

Through the first 37 months available in Europe the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.32 million units and is 9.21 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 6.89 million units.

The PS5 has sold 16.20 million in 37 months in Europe, while the Switch sold 13.88 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 6.99 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 37 months, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 43.7 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 37.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 18.9 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 13,102,090
  2. PS5: 4,753,947
  3. XSX|S: 536,295

Through the first 37 months available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 8.35 million units and is 12.57 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.22 million units.

The Switch has sold 13.10 million units in 37 months in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 4.75 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.54 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 37 months, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 71.2 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 25.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.9 percent.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

PS5 vs Xbox Series X|S vs Switch Launch Sales Comparison Through Month 37

This monthly series compares the aligned launch sales of the PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch.

It should be noted the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S had a worldwide launch, while the PlayStation 5 launch was split over the course of two weeks. Also, the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017, while the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S launched during the holidays in November 2020.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Global:

1. Switch: 54,370,652
  2. PS5: 48,932,444
  3. XSX|S: 25,373,618

Through the first 37 months available worldwide the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 5.44 million units and is 29.00 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 23.56 million units.

The Switch has sold 54.37 million in 37 months worldwide, while the PS5 sold 48.93 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 25.37 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 37 months, the Switch is in the lead. The Switch has a 42.3 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 38.0 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 19.7 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch US:

1. Switch: 18,488,821
  2. PS5: 17,163,159
  3. XSX|S: 12,456,095

Through the first 37 months available in the US the Nintendo Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 1.33 million units and is 6.03 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.71 million units.

The Switch has sold 18.49 million in 37 months in the US, while the PS5 sold 17.16 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 12.46 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 37 months, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 38.4 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 35.7 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 25.9 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Europe:

1. PS5: 16,197,326
  2. Switch: 13,878,195
  3. XSX|S: 6,986,826

Through the first 37 months available in Europe the PlayStation 5 is ahead of the Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Switch by 2.32 million units and is 9.21 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The Switch is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 6.89 million units.

The PS5 has sold 16.20 million in 37 months in Europe, while the Switch sold 13.88 million units and the Xbox Series X|S 6.99 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 37 months, the PlayStation 5 currently leads. The PS5 has a 43.7 percent marketshare, the Switch sits at 37.4 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 18.9 percent.

PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X|S Vs. Switch Japan:

1. Switch: 13,102,090
  2. PS5: 4,753,947
  3. XSX|S: 536,295

Through the first 37 months available in Japan the Switch is ahead of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S by a wide margin. The Switch is ahead of the PS5 by 8.35 million units and is 12.57 million units ahead of the Xbox Series X|S. The PS5 is ahead of the Xbox Series X|S by 4.22 million units.

The Switch has sold 13.10 million units in 37 months in Japan, while the PS5 has sold 4.75 million units, and the Xbox Series X|S 0.54 million units.

Looking at the marketshare through 37 months, the Switch currently leads. The Switch has a 71.2 percent marketshare, the PS5 sits at 25.9 percent, and the Xbox Series X|S at 2.9 percent.

Wonder how far the PS5 will be after December but it's already closer than i thought it would be

Switch vs Xbox 360 Sales Comparison in the US - November 2023 (Final Update)

This monthly series compares the aligned US sales of the Nintendo Switch and the Xbox 360.

The Xbox 360 launched in the US in November 2005, while the Nintendo Switch launched in March 2017. Therefore, the holiday periods for the two consoles do not lineup, which is why there are big increases and decreases.

Switch Vs. Xbox 360 US:

Gap change in latest month: 337,989 - NS

Gap change over last 12 months: 2,231,883 - X360

Total Lead: 8,417,644 - Switch

Switch Total Sales: 42,958,144

Xbox 360 Total Sales: 34,540,500

November 2023 is the 81st month that the Nintendo Switch has been available for in the US. During the latest month, the Nintendo Switch outsold the Xbox 360  by 337,989 units.

In the last 12 months, the Xbox 360 has outsold the Nintendo Switch by 2.23 million units. The Switch is currently ahead of the Xbox 360 by 8.42 million units.

The 81st month for the Nintendo Switch is November 2023 and for the Xbox 360 it is July 2012. The Switch has sold 42.96 million units, while the Xbox 360 sold 34.54 million units during the same timeframe.

This month the Nintendo Switch outsold the lifetime sales of the Xbox 360 in the US. The Switch’s 42.96 million units sold is above the 42.73 million units the Xbox 360 sold lifetime in the US.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Just a heads up. December estimates are NOT out. The label for the monthly figures are wrong as those are November estimates and NOT December. I've let Bandorr know about the issue. I won't start posting December estimates until closer to the middle of January.

Edit: Bandorr was able to fix it!

Last edited by trunkswd - on 31 December 2023