By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 49, 2023 (Nov 27 - Dec 03)

haxxiy said:

Assuming a third of Wonder's sales are digital it should end the year around 2.25 million, a fall of 25% from the NSMB Wii game despite Wonder releasing a month earlier. Even if that were 50% digital it would have just matched it despite the Switch having three times the userbase.

That's a huge attach rate drop and it might be indicative that 2D Mario will be one of the few Nintendo franchises to see a decline this gen compared to previous highs.

Yea ngl I expected more from Mario games this gen. Outside of Odyssey and MK8 I feel like the other Mario games on Switch fell below my expectations compared to the other franchises that blew up on Switch. I would expect a game like Mario 3D World to be at around the 20 Million range on Switch considering that it has 2D Mario elements that would interest more casual consumers and we even seen Mario Odyssey reach close to 30M, but 3D World is still at around 12 Million which is the same as 3D Land on 3DS despite Switch having nearly twice the install base and an install base that buys way more software. Sold more than twice as much then the Wii U version but the Switch has 10 times the install base.

Mario Maker 2 also underwhelmed

even NSMBU, even tho it's an unambitous port, we saw that MK8 being a port as the bestselling Switch game, and for most of the Switch's lifespan NSMBU was the only 2D Mario but hasn't even crosses 20M when Wii & DS versions sold 30M.

I guess Mario already reached saturation well before the Switch era so the popularity of the Switch wasn't really gonna expand the series to many more people despite the Switch's huge install base.

Around the Network

Now I'm starting to wonder if Switch is even able to sell 100k in one single week this holiday season... This is very unexpected. Since the release of Mario Wonder the sales are way below my expectations...

javi741 said:
haxxiy said:

Mario Maker 2 also underwhelmed

even NSMBU, even tho it's an unambitous port, we saw that MK8 being a port as the bestselling Switch game, and for most of the Switch's lifespan NSMBU was the only 2D Mario but hasn't even crosses 20M when Wii & DS versions sold 30M.

I guess Mario already reached saturation well before the Switch era so the popularity of the Switch wasn't really gonna expand the series to many more people despite the Switch's huge install base.

Probably.

I hope they release a Mario Maker 3 though, it sold almost 9m. Weren't Nintendo shooting their own foot with peer-to-peer multiplayer and stopping with updates it would have done way better I feel.

Very good hold for MW there. Only 2 percent down.

Around the Network

That is a great opening for Dragon Quest Monsters.  I can only imagine that if we could get the DQ3 Remake in the next year or so, it would probably put up some phenomenal numbers (not to mention DQ 12).

Gotta say that 79k for a week in December is still a great result for any system in it's 7th year.  In fact, I would be surprised if any previous system was selling like this in Japan during its seventh year.  However, it isn't like the mind-blowing sales numbers we were getting earlier this year.  For example, week 24 this year was the Switch's best week 24 of any year, and it had several weeks like this.  That sort of thing is not supposed to happen in a console's 7th year, so it was kind of crazy.  So Switch has gone from "mind-blowing and crazy" sales numbers to "great but reasonable" sales numbers this year.  It's still selling well, but our expectations were sky high.

Wow it seems Switch just isn't going to get any holiday boost lol. So weird after the fantastic year it has had in Japan. It'll be lucky to hit 4m now.

Slownenberg said:

Wow it seems Switch just isn't going to get any holiday boost lol. So weird after the fantastic year it has had in Japan. It'll be lucky to hit 4m now.

Normal. Saturation hits hard. It can't go on to sell forever, non stop, with OMG sales.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Norion said:

There should be 100k+ weeks in the remaining four but it is clear that Switch is reaching saturation at this point. Also just a few weeks left of the 3DS being tracked.

The 3DS had a great run.

Mario Wonder legs will be good

The lack of impact in hardware is easily understandable. There are tons of Mario games on Switch, the pool of 2D Mario fans must have already been exhausted by now